Ayr United vs St Johnstone

D'Jaffo

The sending off was obviously pivotal but Saints had got a pretty strong grip on the game before that.

Always worried with just a one goal advantage, especially in those conditions, but it was as comfortable as you could hope for. Really should have finished the game off though.

18 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Absolutely needless to go flying into a tackle on the halfway line, especially after just being booked. Muirhead has single-handedly cost his teammates, the club and the fans and I wouldn't be arsed if he never makes another appearance.

Losing team's fan in forum over reaction shocker. 

Congrats saints. Best of luck for the rest of the cup. Hope your enjoyed the trip down.

Thought we were doing fine until the red card but saints had looked slightly more in control before that.

Disappointing as with those conditions anything could have happened.

Will need to see the highlights to be sure but from where I was it just looked like a 50/50 tackle but agree that it was daft to go in for it having just been booked.
Also thought Doohan should have come for both crosses that led to the goals. Don’t know if the wind made him nervous but he seemed stuck to his line all game.
Embarrassing for such a big team’s supporters to time waste second half by keeping any ball hoofed over the bar by one of their superstars. [emoji6]

30 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Will need to see the highlights to be sure but from where I was it just looked like a 50/50 tackle but agree that it was daft to go in for it having just been booked.
Also thought Doohan should have come for both crosses that led to the goals. Don’t know if the wind made him nervous but he seemed stuck to his line all game.
Embarrassing for such a big team’s supporters to time waste second half by keeping any ball hoofed over the bar by one of their superstars. emoji6.png

I've said it before, keep saying it and probably keep getting stick for it, but he isn't commanding enough of his 6 yard box / penalty area. 

Definitely an area of his game that he needs work on / improve on. 

34 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Embarrassing for such a big team’s supporters to time waste second half by keeping any ball hoofed over the bar by one of their superstars. emoji6.png

It was but it’s irrelevant given it was a straight red.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Will be interested to see it back. From the north it looked like he won it cleanly to me. The first one looked worse.

Fundamentally, a killie fan should not be reffing an Ayr game.

Must admit, from the north terrace it looked like he won the ball, albeit there will be the usual arguments about being out of control etc. No idea how it was a straight red - I assumed at the time it was a 2nd yellow.   But you are correct about McLean - shouldn’t be anywhere near an Ayr game.

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I've said it before, keep saying it and probably keep getting stick for it, but he isn't commanding enough of his 6 yard box / penalty area. 

Definitely an area of his game that he needs work on / improve on. 

The ball clearly stalled in the wind - blaming Doohan is more than a bit harsh.

All the best to Saint Johnstone in the rest of the cup. That must be the biggest away crowd we've had at Somerset this season. It was good to have an atmosphere.

The sending off and subsequent goal conceded (why didn't we have Roscoe on?) really killed the tie dead. Up to then it was shaping up to be a good cup tie in spite of the weather. 

Me and the old man are almost the only people on this 3 carriage, forsaken train to Kilwinning. Hopefully the storm derails the train or blows our bus over because I’m not prepared to deal with this.
Bad luck tbh, today and next Saturday are the only ones with works on. At least you'll be on a crap bus with a victory.

Comfortable in the end, as much ad that weather could allow. Every decent ball into the box caused complete carnage all game so Ayrs last minute free kick had me shitting myself.

Ayr started better, we couldnt cope with the extra man in midfield and the CBs struggled like f**k against the wind and Ayrs striker. We eventually took control and starting actually passing the ball and unsurprisingly started looking like we could score, still no real idea what happens for the first, but assume the wind played a part.

Red card looked a stonewaller, even ignoring the fact that lunging in late while already booked is just stupid.

Second goal comes straight from that free kick as your classic lower tier side falling asleep at a set piece and the top flight side exploiting it. Hendry does what Hendry does.

Think for the rest of the game we played within ourselves, left the wide men and strikers to try and create something, and kept enough back to deal with any mistakes the weather brought about, cant really blame the manager for that as the weather could literally bring a goal from nothing. Thoroughly professional job.

You have to wonder what Izzy Jones is thinking. One week in Scotland and hes got an 80s song getting sung about him as he runs about in 50mph wind and rain.

Edited by RandomGuy.