Ayr United vs St Johnstone

D'Jaffo

Who is all on the train down then?

Am I worrying for nothing about the train via killie being packed cause it's the last one that will get everyone down on time?

The replacement buses add a full extra hour onto the journey so not viable for anyone once they kick in.
The via Killie trains do tend to be much smaller than the direct Glasgow Ayr, but I don't think it should be a problem. Unless we are looking at an absolutely enormous Perth invasion

Thinking of booking the train last minute, is it better to go via kilmarnock? Is it definitely buses from paisley on the kilwinnning train?

Yeah pretty much, I'm not sure if some of the ones back might be back to trains but for the way down its the Killie route as far as I can see. Scotrail app has the journey times and which ones are buses noted.

A lot of the traveling support presumably driving/on buses down. But I get a tendancy to concern myself about these things then it all ends up fine.

It is highly likely that there will be no consideration made for the fact there is likely to be more people heading to Ayr than usual at that time. So I would recommend avoiding rail replacements on the way down as much as possible.
Waiting in the cold for a bus in paisley is not something i would wish on anyone.
Even if it would mean leaving home earlier, Ayr/Prestwick have plenty of decent pubs to enjoy before the game. Enjoy the trip down guys.

Don't think Ayr fans are sharing the same excitement that St Johnstone fans are over this tie tbh. Can't see us having any more there than we had against Ross County.
Would be interesting to know how the ticket sale numbers usually go in the run up to a game. I usually buy my ticket online on the morning of the game, as do many of the folk I know. Sales may pick up.

24 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Don't think Ayr fans are sharing the same excitement that St Johnstone fans are over this tie tbh. Can't see us having any more there than we had against Ross County.

It's pretty remarkable how both clubs have fared since our rivalry in the late 80s. Both evenly matched back then, then we move to a new ground and things take off for Saints. If only Ayr had taken that **** money.

26 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

I don't imagine it is. From our perspective though - it's a last 16 Scottish cup tie away at an old rival, terracing, miles away from home so a proper day out and  it's an escape from league football, where we've been pretty dire until quite recently.

There's loads of ingredients for a cup shock, but from Ayr's perspective I doubt it'll feel like much of a scalp as we're (rightly) not seen as a particularly big club.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's pretty remarkable how both clubs have fared since our rivalry in the late 80s. Both evenly matched back then, then we move to a new ground and things take off for Saints. If only Ayr had taken that **** money.

This may sound stupid given the reasonable success of St Johnstone and the blatant lack of success at Ayr but I am incredibly glad we never succeeded in building a 10,000 seater stadium. See Airdrie and Livi as examples of what an absolute white elephant that would have been.

1 minute ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

This may sound stupid given the reasonable success of St Johnstone and the blatant lack of success at Ayr but I am incredibly glad we never succeeded in building a 10,000 seater stadium. See Airdrie and Livi as examples of what an absolute white elephant that would have been.

McDiarmid Park has given us the chance to pile a load of money into the footballing budget from the non-footballing aspects of the busniness. Has obviously been a burden on some clubs but its probably the best thing that could've happened for us on the pitch. We're left with a half empty stadium that's mostly soullless most weeks tho.

McDiarmid Park has given us the chance to pile a load of money into the footballing budget from the non-footballing aspects of the busniness. Has obviously been a burden on some clubs but its probably the best thing that could've happened for us on the pitch. We're left with a half empty stadium that's mostly soullless most weeks tho.
Tbf Somerset is more than half empty almost every game. I guess it just looks slightly better in a relatively small ground with terracing than a larger all seated ground.
Personally would be absolutely gutted if we ever had to leave.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Somerset is undoubtedly a millstone round our necks as you would expect from a ground that was built during the same year that Jack The Ripper was terrorising London and Vincent Van Gogh was chopping his own ear off.

I'm sure plenty would disagree but give me crumbling terracing and dive-bombing seagulls over seated 'luxury' every day of the week.

As great as Muirton was I'm now actually glad we moved.  I've come round from hating McDiarmid to liking it now. Folk moan about it being on the edge of town with no pubs etc nearby but they have no or shite imagination, there are pubs, 6 within a mile.

Anyway sorry for derailing,  let's get back to arranging to kick f**k out of each other on Saturday 

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Put the guess who guys back up

1 hour ago, Super_J said:

Who is all on the train down then?

Am I worrying for nothing about the train via killie being packed cause it's the last one that will get everyone down on time?

The replacement buses add a full extra hour onto the journey so not viable for anyone once they kick in.

Which train are you getting? I'm getting the 9:14 & getting to Ayr about 12:30, no bus/kilmarnock.

4 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Weather update now saying storm to hit on Sunday and not Saturday 

EF5552A2-92AF-42B1-BFA4-8CCDAEFC1C87.png

Just seen the forecast and winds of 50 mph on sat 15:00 onwards. It wasn,t that windy the night the inverness game was cancelled, just saying

Which train are you getting? I'm getting the 9:14 & getting to Ayr about 12:30, no bus/kilmarnock.

I'm traveling from Glasgow so not sure if it is workable if you're coming from Perth etc. But I'm now gonna get the 11.18am now from central and also get in about half 12, changing at Killie. 

ETA - So aye guessing that's the one you'll land up on too.

Previous plan was the 12.13 from Glasgow Central and getting to Ayr 1.28pm changing at Killie. This as far as I can see is the last one that'll get folk there in time.

Assuming the wind doesn't f**k it for everyone.