Aberdeen vs Motherwell - 22nd January

Guest Bob Mahelp

Motherwell were reasonably solid and organised.  Attacked a couple of times, got a free-kick, we fell asleep, they scored. At that point the game was over. 

You don't have to be anything more than organised against us these days. We can't break teams down. 

Dumbarton must be kicking themselves they didn't at least try and get up the park a few times last Saturday. 

The clean sheet is a surprise given how nervous the back 4 looked on Saturday night but that's our 6th in 9 since the end of November. So when your luck's in and all that...

Going up to Pittodrie and winning with a front 3 of Ilic, MacIver and Mark O'Hara on the right wing is just a massive carry-on and an absolutely brilliant laugh.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

Can we move the European Qualifiers to the dark nights too

I'm more interested in whether we could keep our European qualification as a token that we could use at a later date, as I won't be available in June/July to go away, so cash it in when I am.

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

Can we move the European Qualifiers to the dark nights too

I think the process for that is to beat the faroese fishermen and welsh hill farmers that we would play on the light nights....

The game last night felt like a game that would be won or lost with a single goal from fairly early on and so it proved. Glad we got it and our small band in the away end was buzzing.

Definitely a deserved 3 points from my perspective too. Neither team created a whole lot but we did have a couple of half chances in the first half. I honestly don't remember Aberdeen creating anything. A couple of set piece attempts in the second half but that was about it.

I must admit, I thought at the time that Robinson played the "Mugabi 5 at the back" card a little too early as I thought it would mean inviting pressure on and we'd eventually crack with no out ball but Polworth and Donnelly were superb in that second half at putting their foot on the ball and buying us time rather than lumping it just to have it lumped straight back at us. We looked solid as a rock in defence, especially big Declan, what a signing he's been. Night and day defensive display from the Dundee game.

Aberdeen looked pretty dismal it must be said. Very little in the way of alternative plans once plan A clearly wasn't doing the business. McKenna surely can't be doing his chances of a move much good. He was pretty dire last night and I'm reliably informed by the Dons fans in the office that he's been like that almost all season.

Massive 3 points for us, only downside was Long going off. Hopefully it's not too bad as we don't really have any other out and out striker options.

Edited by Mr Hahn

Watching the highlights, I couldn't see the Red Shed standing area mentioned from the weekend. What area of the ground is it? Interesting to see how this goes and how other clubs adopt it.

It’s only for games against Dumbarton...

I know there wasn’t much for the home fans to cheer about last season, but the atmosphere for long spells of the game was horrendous, Pittodrie appears to be totally soulless these days.

14 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

The game last night felt like a game that would be won or lost with a single goal from fairly early on and so it proved. Glad we got it and our small band in the away end was buzzing.

Definitely a deserved 3 points from my perspective too. Neither team created a whole lot but we did have a couple of half chances in the first half. I honestly don't remember Aberdeen creating anything. A couple of set piece attempts in the second half but that was about it.

I must admit, I thought at the time that Robinson played the "Mugabi 5 at the back" card a little too early as I thought it would mean inviting pressure on and we'd eventually crack with no out ball but Polworth and Donnelly were superb in that second half at putting their foot on the ball and buying us time rather than lumping it just to have it lumped straight back at us. We looked solid as a rock in defence, especially big Declan, what a signing he's been. Night and day defensive display from the Dundee game.

Aberdeen looked pretty dismal it must be said. Very little in the way of alternative plans once plan A clearly wasn't doing the business. McKenna surely can't be doing his chances of a move much good. He was pretty dire last night and I'm reliably informed by the Dons fans in the office that he's been like that almost all season.

Massive 3 points for us, only downside was Long going off. Hopefully it's not too bad as we don't really have any other out and out striker options.

Considine missed a sitter. That aside we created little else.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Watching the highlights, I couldn't see the Red Shed standing area mentioned from the weekend. What area of the ground is it? Interesting to see how this goes and how other clubs adopt it.

The 'Red Shed' is the family section behind the goals at the Merkland end. Opposite side from where the away fans are.

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:

It’s only for games against Dumbarton...

I know there wasn’t much for the home fans to cheer about last season, but the atmosphere for long spells of the game was horrendous, Pittodrie appears to be totally soulless these days.

The atmosphere was brilliant for most of the game on Saturday. Made a massive difference having all the fans who want to make some noise in that one area of the ground.

Last night is the usual these days. You get the odd moments when we get a late winner or equaliser which cause excitement but it's mostly drab.

I suppose it doesn’t help that the trial game didn’t end up being an emphatic victory like you’d have probably anticipated?

I was quite surprised just how quiet it was last night, the fans seemed to turn on the half time whistle and at full time, though there wasn’t much in between. Air of resignation around the place.

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:

I suppose it doesn’t help that the trial game didn’t end up being an emphatic victory like you’d have probably anticipated?

Doesn't that help its cause, rather than hinder it?

I'd have thought that if Aberdeen had beaten Dumbarton 3 or 4-0 in a free-flowing, attacking display, some of the idiots in their support would've gone "well yes of course there was an atmosphere, the football was good. If things are going well on the pitch the atmosphere will follow!".

This is of course demonstrably false. Aberdeen have finished 2nd repeatedly while Pittodrie has been an utter morgue. The way forward is active sections like the 'Red Shed' (needs work), which sing for 90 minutes irrespective of the pish performances on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I was quite surprised just how quiet it was last night, the fans seemed to turn on the half time whistle and at full time, though there wasn’t much in between. Air of resignation around the place.

It's a family stand. The club have committed to season tickets for that stand for the season. I'm expecting the family section to be moved next season with the Red Shed being a permanent feature.