Aberdeen vs Motherwell - 22nd January

Now that the winter break is over, it's time to get back to league business.

I wouldn't go as far to say that this game is a 6 pointer but momentum is important in the battle to be best of the rest.

Motherwell win and they go 4 points clear of 4th.

Aberdeen win and they jump up to 3rd with a 2 point gap.

Motherwell have only drawn once this season, so I would be surprised if it were to finish as a draw.

A cracker of a game in prospect. It will be a tight 1-0 to one of them.

Discuss.

I think it is either going to be a close game or a rampage for Aberdeen.

Defending wise, over the past few games we have been abysmal. In Both the Dundee and Hamilton games we were basically kamakazi defending, giving the ball away with no pressure and not even bother to tackle or defend properly. It cost us against Hamilton and nearly cost us against Dundee.

Additionally. Hylton looks to be out with an illness (which is why he was subbed so early in the dundee game) so we will lost likely will start with seedorf who just cant stay on his own two feet. If we sort out our defence then I believe we will have a good chance of taking points back home, as we have done for a lot of our games this season. However, if the defence is as bad as last night's then I assume cosgrove is going to go away with atleast the match ball.

Optimistic guess is 1-0 Motherwell. Pessimistic is 3-1 Aberdeen.

I think Aberdeen will be comfortably third by the end of the season and we’ll be comfortably fourth. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go 352 with Scott and Long leading the line. We were a bit suspect at the back last night so not confident of a win.

3-1 Aberdeen.

As everyone's said there were more than enough question marks after watching our defence last night for us to be worried about a pumping here.

Hopefully Hartley has got whatever the f**k was going on last night out his system. I'd imagine Grimshaw will be back in for Tait and Donnelly for O'Hara.

Robinson's liked to switch it up against McInnes in the past (the 44(Diamond)2 up at Pittodrie when Moult scored twice springs to mind) so the 352 shout doesn't sound that far fetched especially if Hylton's a doubt.

Would gladly take a draw right now tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

I've never been to Pittodrie so I'd probably have went to this six pointer in the  race for Europe if the SPFL hadn't decided to fulfill their weird kink of sending us to Aberdeen on a weeknight at least once a season. 

I reckon there's an argument to be made for games between us two being the best fixture in Scottish football over the last decade or so, definitely the least predictable. Anything from a 3-0 either way to a high scoring draw wouldn't really shock me at all.

5 minutes ago, Spectre said:

How are we in a situation where the teams sitting 3rd and 4th, comfortably ahead of any other team, have no confidence in their own team getting a result.

Away win

It probably comes from the fact that from a Well POV Aberdeen probably have had the most convincing victory against us this season. That and I think your squad is better quality. We could only dream of signing Dylan McGeouch and getting Marty Kennedy on a pre contract. 
That said we are 3rd best team points wise for 2019 so not a fluke. 
I would take a point now, but I also believe Aberdeen will probably finish 3rd. Just want to make sure we stay ahead of Hibs and even Livi for 4th place.  

38 minutes ago, Spectre said:

How are we in a situation where the teams sitting 3rd and 4th, comfortably ahead of any other team, have no confidence in their own team getting a result.

Away win

Aberdeen are a bigger club with a bigger squad and budget we can only dream of.

Donnelly and Grimshaw back, if Robinson wants to play 3 at the back at any point in the game do it from the first minute.  Give Hylton some Lemsip or get Manzinga or the new boy on from the start.  A draw is fine (do we do draws?).  But nothing to fear.

Away win

The last 60 minutes of the Accies game and the first 20 minutes of the second half last night where we were devoid of shape, confidence, even footballing ability will be punished by a side with a modicum of ability.

I could be wrong -  but it feels like we've had at least one midweeker at Pittodrie every year for ages and it's a pity that a big game for us is one that a lot would struggle to get to. I personally can't make it in time after work but I would have been there in a heartbeat if it was a weekend game. 

I don't know any 'Well supporters that think we will finish 3rd this season (4th is another story) and I'm guessing one reason is that although we've beaten every other team, we haven't taken anything from the other top 4 teams and so it doesn't feel that credible as things stand, especially after the 3-0 pumping earlier in the season. If we were to get 3 points on Wednesday, I think that opinions would change a bit...

I guess Aberdeen are having a solid but fairly unspectacular season - we have clearly done very well by our recent standards but have been very "uneven" in games whereby we can look really good on the ball, have a grip of midfield and be making plenty of chances and a sook of the half time orange later, we can look really poor and easy to get at. 

If we can put in a 90 minute performance, we've got every chance of taking a point here but I fear a routine defeat TBH.