Audiobooks

Romeo

Big fan of audible, usually listen to spy or historical fiction, I try something heavier or non fiction every once in a while but I prefer to read that normally.

A few favourites

The Aubrey Maturin series

The John Le Carré collection

The war of the roses series by Conn Iggulden

Lonesome dove

I've always been wary of audiobooks, probably because I'm not the best reader and sometimes I like to re-read things to make sure I'm understanding what's happening, I just imagine that being a nightmare on a audiobook having to go back and listen again. Everyone seems to love them though, so I am tempted to get audible's free trial and see what it's like.

56 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Big fan of audible, usually listen to spy or historical fiction, I try something heavier or non fiction every once in a while but I prefer to read that normally.

A few favourites

The Aubrey Maturin series

The John Le Carré collection

The war of the roses series by Conn Iggulden

Lonesome dove

Only got into le Carré recently. Been going through them in reverse.

A Brief History of Seven Killings is my favourite audiobook. The performances are amazing. 

1 minute ago, L'immortale Par said:

A Brief History of Seven Killings is my favourite audiobook. The performances are amazing. 

By coincidence just got my new credit there. Brief history bought, will let you know how I get on!

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

By coincidence just got my new credit there. Brief history bought, will let you know how I get on!

It’s very sweary and you may find yourself thinking and talking like a Yardie for a while. There’s heaps of violence but some of the stuff that works best is based on the author’s experience of growing up as a gay kid in an ultra-macho, homophobic environment. It’s so expansive - Narcos meets The Deuce, meets Top Boy, meets Gomorrah. The author is pretty open about being influenced by great films and tv as much as books and it could make such an amazing tv series. Amazon have picked it up so hopefully they can bring it to life and do it justice.

I've always been wary of audiobooks, probably because I'm not the best reader and sometimes I like to re-read things to make sure I'm understanding what's happening, I just imagine that being a nightmare on a audiobook having to go back and listen again. Everyone seems to love them though, so I am tempted to get audible's free trial and see what it's like.

Just had this issue with the audiobook of Fahrenheit 451. There's a lot of unique references and switches between reality/imagination quickly as well. Easy to get confused if you miss a few words.
That's the first time it's happened though. Presumably less likely to happen for non-fiction if you partly understand the subject matter beforehand and have a rough idea of the context.

5 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Just had this issue with the audiobook of Fahrenheit 451. There's a lot of unique references and switches between reality/imagination quickly as well. Easy to get confused if you miss a few words.
That's the first time it's happened though. Presumably less likely to happen for non-fiction if you partly understand the subject matter beforehand and have a rough idea of the context.

Aye, that's my worry really. I like science books so I find myself re-reading a lot of parts until it sinks in. I also like espionage tales, I'm currently reading a book about Kim Philby and there's so many references to different important people, I find myself struggling to remember who is who and I imagine that being increased ten fold on an audiobook. Suppose I could use audiobooks for the less technical type books.

I’ve just got this. I’m looking forward to it. I like the premise.

The best Le Carré audiobooks (though not necessarily the best books) are the ones he narrates himself. He’s an excellent mimic.

• 2 weeks later...

The best Le Carré audiobooks (though not necessarily the best books) are the ones he narrates himself. He’s an excellent mimic.

Would agree that LeCarre is a brilliant narrator but over the length of one of his tomes e.g. 8-10 hours, I find his tone a bit ‘heavy’.

Actually prefer Michael Jayston, who played Peter Guillam in the BBC adaptation of TTSS. His diction and pronunciation are extremely easy on the ear over a prolonged period.

Would agree that LeCarre is a brilliant narrator but over the length of one of his tomes e.g. 8-10 hours, I find his tone a bit ‘heavy’.
Actually prefer Michael Jayston, who played Peter Guillam in the BBC adaptation of TTSP. His diction and pronunciation are extremely easy on the ear over a prolonged period.

Yup he’s great too. His Smiley is a note-for-note mimic of Alec Guinness.

I'm sure many of you have watched The Dirt on Netflix. It's a good movie, but the Audiobook is absolutely fantastic. The humour just isn't there in the film. I can't wait for my next fix in the morning. Great analogy there. Oh aye, Motley Crue book.

Finished Duff's book last week as well. Fantastic stuff. I didn't know his story at all. I knew he was sober these days, but, what an amazing guy. 

On 21/02/2020 at 23:18, Savage Henry said:

I’ve just got this. I’m looking forward to it. I like the premise.

On 07/03/2020 at 20:51, Florentine_Pogen said:

Actually prefer Michael Jayston, who played Peter Guillam in the BBC adaptation of TTSS. His diction and pronunciation are extremely easy on the ear over a prolonged period.

I listened to one recently read by David Oyelowo. The main characted (Salvo) is an interpreter and the whole thing is set around a conference where a Congo coup is being planned. Good range of voices, with various bampot African dicators and public school English secret service types. Needs to work on his Welsh accent though! 

• 8 months later...

When I train at gym I prefer rhytmic heavy music but when I jog audiobooks are the best helpers. I usually read 2-3 books a month, they also help to kill time in public transport or when I do housework. This month I have read Handmaid's Tale and now I'm finishing Cloud Atlas, they are both great! 😀