Audiobooks

Romeo

Is there an Audiobook thread? If so couldn't see one.

Great for long walks or driving.

I have just finished Louis Theroux's audiobook "got to get Theroux this" and really enjoyed it. Before this I listened to "Hitler" but Ian Kershaw, bit dry in parts and a monster at 44hours, as you can imagine it picks up a bit in the 2nd half.

Anyone any non fiction recommendations,  Biography, history or science?

56 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I have just finished Louis Theroux's audiobook "got to get Theroux this" and really enjoyed it. Before this I listened to "Hitler" but Ian Kershaw, bit dry in parts and a monster at 44hours, as you can imagine it picks up a bit in the 2nd half.

Alexi Sayle’s autobiography (read by him) is quite funny. Odd childhood with militant trade unionist parents who would drive to Czechoslovakia on holiday.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

David Goggins 'Can't Hurt Me', followed by 'Living With A Seal' which is about Goggins living with and training a guy for a month, although it doesn't mention him by name, it's him.

Try All That Remains by Dame Sue Black. She reads it herself in a soft highland twang and it's one of the most moving, informative and thought provoking things I've ever heard. Its ostensibly about forensic science but really it's about life and death and everything in between. Really highly recommend. 

I am a fan of the great courses on Audible. I particularly like the history of ancient Egypt series by Bob Brier.

From memory it's about 30 to 40 hours worth of lectures put together to form an audiobook. They run chronologically and come together surprisingly well to form the story of Egypt from pre history down to the Ptolemy's. 

Our library system has a terrific set up where you can order books, CDs and other materials online. Not just from your own library but from all over Colorado and even neighbouring states. They're delivered to the branch of your choice, usually within a week or so, often less. Unless you're looking for something really obscure, you can almost always find what you're after and it's all free. I've got into the habit of ordering recorded books, downloading them to my computer and then when I'm ready, to my phone. I listen to them while walking the dogs or driving. It's a great way to explore new authors and revisit old friends.

I'm currently rotating through John Le Carre, Arthur Conan Doyle, Neil Gaiman and Ernest Hemingway. If you're a fan of the latter, see if you can find anything narrated by Stacey Keach.

Edited by Shotgun

8 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Our library system has a terrific set up where you can order books, CDs and other materials online. Not just from your own library but from all over Colorado and even neighbouring states

Same here, free from any library in the Highlands, you have to pay return postage from the rest of the UK.

On 19/01/2020 at 08:55, Romeo said:

My mate was extolling the virtues of Audible the other night.  I might give the free trial a go.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Lesser posters than me would instantly draw parallels between the club you support and your nefarious, criminal activities.

Not me though.

Cause you're not like that.

Criminal is such a grey term though, I mean, what is criminal?

There are also other clubs that might be more closely associated with not paying what is due, not pointing any fingers though,

Edited by Romeo

I've had audible for just over a year and love it to bits. 

Best audiobooks i've tried from there would probably be The Martian and Lonesome Dove.  LD in particular was superb - funny, violent, moving and about 40 hours long. Well worth a monthly credit for those that are signed up.