leigh Griffiths

greenockraver

22 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I don't disagree, he'd be starting against Israel for me.

I was just answering a question raised earlier.

Sorry, that was a general statement rather than a reply to anyone.

I'm not sure I'd start him against Isreal, but he would definitely be on the bench as back up. On after an hour if we are struggling. Unless McGinn isnt fit, in which case I would start him just off McBurnie.

8 hours ago, Geez a Braco said:

Can't be too far away from some roaster lecturing us that McBurnie's the best because he cost the most money and player in a better league.   

Naismith deserves to start against Israel but Griffiths is the first off the bench.   

I'm not sure why naismith deserves to start. His teams bottom of the league and he's hardly scored alot. I'd not even have him in the squad. I'd take Griffiths, Mcburnie, Shankland.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'm not sure why naismith deserves to start. His teams bottom of the league and he's hardly scored alot. I'd not even have him in the squad. I'd take Griffiths, Mcburnie, Shankland.

I wouldn't have him in the squad either but fear he'.ll be in the team.  He's pretty much done physically, has been playing for one of the worst teams in our league this year and hasn't had much of an impact.

I watched him a while back be completely ineffectual as his team lost 3-0 at Kilmarnock, on the same day McBurnie came off the bench to score the equaliser in a draw with Man  Utd.

McBurnie is a donkey but if anyone wants to suggest Naismith should be in front of him they've got a hell of a case to be making.

15 hours ago, Geez a Braco said:

Can't be too far away from some roaster lecturing us that McBurnie's the best because he cost the most money and player in a better league.   

You’ve got it the wrong way round you fool.

McBurnie cost the most money and is in a better league because he’s the best! Not the other way round! 

:1eye

On 04/03/2020 at 20:35, Jeremiah Cole said:

Another game, another dropping to the bench

Nit even good enough to face Livingston for the League One # failure 😃

On 05/03/2020 at 08:08, Binos said:

Back to being bit part

Naismith will definitely start

Good for Christie though, we need him playing

hat trick today . 

Guest DAVIDB69

I have nothing against griffiths but he is guy pushing 30 so he isn’t really the long term answer.

The problem I have with him is that fans are still dinning out on the england goals three years ago and he hasn’t done much apart from that for Scotland .

Would still have him in ahead of mcburnie though.

2 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I have nothing against griffiths but he is guy pushing 30 so he isn’t really the long term answer.

The problem I have with him is that fans are still dinning out on the england goals three years ago and he hasn’t done much apart from that for Scotland .

Do we need a long-term answer at the moment?

We just need to win two games and reach a major final for the first time in 22 years. It’s good to see Griffiths scoring again, even though it was only St Mirren. I’ll admit I watched those free-kicks against England on YouTube today. Probably the most memorable couple of minutes of a Scotland game this century. Even more memorable than McFadden in Paris.

Good to see Ryan Fraser playing for Bournemouth again too.

wee fraser played well against liverpool yesterday . im wondering if clarke will look at naismith and griffiths as a possible 2 up top. as griffiths seems to have added a new dimension to his game playing along side edouard. 

Edited by greenockraver

10 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

He might not be a long-term answer but he’s scoring lots of goals and playing well, so he’s certainly the short-term “against Israel” answer.

At the moment who starts will probably be who can fit into whatever way Clarke wants to play against Israel best.  McBurnie and Griffiths are two very different players, so don't think it's quite as simple as picking the one that's playing better (I assume that's Griffiths, no idea if McBurnie's playing well or at all for Sheffield United).  If he wants someone to hold the ball up and bring it into play, McBurnie is probably the better option (I'd have him ahead of Naismith for that role).  If he doesn't, then for me it'd be Griffiths.

Still, I'm happier about our striking prospects for this game than I have been for a while.  They're still well short of where we should be, but Griffiths is scoring and getting back some confidence, McBurnie must be due doing something, particularly if he can positively channel the frustration we saw when things were shite against Russia, and Naismith might be a bit past it, but would likely be able to come in and do whatever job Clarke needs of him if it came to it.

McBurnie has been in excellent form, but it's hard to know how much Clarke can rely on him to hold the ball up given that he seemed to want to do anything but that in his previous caps. Just constantly flicking it round the corner to nobody.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McBurnie has been in excellent form, but it's hard to know how much Clarke can rely on him to hold the ball up given that he seemed to want to do anything but that in his previous caps. Just constantly flicking it round the corner to nobody.

Excellent form? with his 4 goals in 29 games.