What football on a Saturday means to you.

I’ve just had 2 successive Saturdays without my team playing. No complaints about the reasons but it has just brought it to mind with a bump how much I look forward to watching my team play on a Saturday and how much I miss it. It’s like a peg in the ground to look forward to even if you are not even having a bad week, but if you are it’s an even bigger peg in the ground to look forward to.

Putting aside whichever team you support because some win or lose more than others, what does football on a Saturday mean to you? To some no doubt it will mean ‘F’ all but to others who can be bothered to read this it’ll mean a helluva lot probably – so put your honest thoughts in here even if those thoughts are that you dread Saturday coming along!

I sometimes wonder if those running football realise just how important it is in the lives of us bog standard football fans. Not a moan, just a thought.

It's a great escape from the rigours of the daily reality. I'd be lost without football on a weekend generally. F**k going shopping!

I don't understand men's needs to shout obscenities at players personally. Football is a fantastic escape.

Edited by TheBigGuy

On 18/01/2020 at 17:20, Hedgecutter said:

Good days out ruined by 90 mins.

Pretty much this. I really like travelling about the country, quite often the 90 minutes is the worst part of the day but that's dependent on the players I suppose. 

Inverness away last year was tremendous and the last minute winner made the entire trip worthwhile. Those are the moments that football is all about and I'd hate to miss them.

Been making an effort to make a weekend out of the long trips and that's been great so far, regardless of the match.

Situation 1:

Friend:  Get up to much on Saturday?

Me:  Went all the way to Annan for a pub lunch and some drinks, watched a bunch of part timers play football for an hour and a half, and then went home.

Friend:  Fair enough.

Situation 2:

Friend:  Get up to much on Saturday?

Me:  Went all the way to Annan for a pub lunch and some drinks, and then went home.

Friend:  You're a f***ing deviant.

Football on a Saturday:  Socially acceptable pub-crawls for those that find Stenhousemuir or Coatbridge less effort than the Balearics or Prague.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Guest bernardblack

I love everything about it. The walk to the ground, the music playing as the players come on...the cold...the sheer rage for 90mins...it’s everything

I’ve just had 2 successive Saturdays without my team playing. No complaints about the reasons but it has just brought it to mind with a bump how much I look forward to watching my team play on a Saturday and how much I miss it. It’s like a peg in the ground to look forward to even if you are not even having a bad week, but if you are it’s an even bigger peg in the ground to look forward to.
Putting aside whichever team you support because some win or lose more than others, what does football on a Saturday mean to you? To some no doubt it will mean ‘F’ all but to others who can be bothered to read this it’ll mean a helluva lot probably – so put your honest thoughts in here even if those thoughts are that you dread Saturday coming along!
I sometimes wonder if those running football realise just how important it is in the lives of us bog standard football fans. Not a moan, just a thought.
I tend to find a local junior game to go to if my own team are not playing. Standing on the terrace with a few pints is a great wee change.

Love my Saturdays at the Mo.

Chance to get away from work and responsibilities and meet up with a life long pal.

Also got a good workmate who is an East Fife fan, the banter is never ending, we go to all the Fife / Mo fixtures.

I followed the Mo when they were pish and witnessed their revival. Great to see, but sad to see our pals from Brechin now having a hard time.

Jovial banter with the mates providing a warm welcome to Airdrie for  fans of all other clubs. Having a rant on the pie n bovril enjoying the odd beer or half most of all the sunshine .... ops we dont have summer football yet. Best  of all the optimism every August lol.

Edited by Eric the half a b