Elgin vs Stenny

Come on Elgin the playoff spots are with your reach and you have the team to get there. Annan are fading and Cowden are starting to drop points.
When I saw MacKay at Balmoral I was really impressed. He’s rapid and keen to get forward. Has he been starting any games at all or always from the bench?
You are a train spotter eh

I could go on about players, team, tactics, management but my biggest rant would be about the support. We all moan and criticise but some of the shouts from the home support are abysmal. “Get him off he’s fckn crap” being one of many. How is that giving support, how is that supposed to lift a player? We wonder why players won’t sign, we wonder why our home form is so poor? Maybe we need to look at the support given. It was embarrassing and cringe worthy from some today.

Come on Elgin the playoff spots are with your reach and you have the team to get there. Annan are fading and Cowden are starting to drop points.
When I saw MacKay at Balmoral I was really impressed. He’s rapid and keen to get forward. Has he been starting any games at all or always from the bench?
We've been beat 7 times in the league. Of those 7, 3 times to the best side and once to the 2nd best side in the league. Losing Smith is a blow, granted, but I'm not quite so worried yet anyone will catch us in 3rd. We really should have won the game v Elgin a few weeks ago and pumped Annan recently. The ones to watch is Stirling Albion IMO.

Cove and Edinburgh will continue to pull away leaving the other two playoff spots up for grabs between ourselves, Elgin, Stirling and QP. Annan are a gang and don't see them challenging whatsoever.

Yet another poorhome performance from a team which is seriously underperforming given the quality of the players. Why play Rory McEwan at right back when we have two established defenders on the bench ? Incidentally Ross Graham who came on at half time having been signed from Dundee United on loan looked the part. Rory was being given the runaround in the first half and we could have lost more goals. The change should have been made by  Gavin long before half time. Not for the first time this season we missed good chances and until McKay scored his spectacular goal  it seemed unlikely we would score. We then have our usual 10 min excellent spell before shrinking back into our shell again and concede a last minute goal. Credit to Stenhousemuir who worked their socks off. Where do we go from here? The comment from Jacksgranda above may be appropriate but I still hope we can hit some consistent form to give us a chance of the playoffs. I would like to see Rabin Omar and Brian Cameron in central midfield. I was surprised Rabin was taken off as I thought he was playing well but I feel he would contribute more in a more central role. Shane started well but faded  and started to run with the ball and failed to pass when required. 

I can'tbelieve Rory got the man of match award. Must have been his pals!! Rant over!

Maybe the quality isn’t there like we’d like it to be [emoji848]

Surprised and disappointed not to see Murray and Aberdeen Cowden in the thread as The Mighty win on the road.

We are seven points off fourth. This league is that bad we could yet go up through the play offs again.

13 hours ago, elginer said:

Yet another poorhome performance from a team which is seriously underperforming given the quality of the players. Why play Rory McEwan at right back when we have two established defenders on the bench ? Incidentally Ross Graham who came on at half time having been signed from Dundee United on loan looked the part. Rory was being given the runaround in the first half and we could have lost more goals. The change should have been made by  Gavin long before half time. Not for the first time this season we missed good chances and until McKay scored his spectacular goal  it seemed unlikely we would score. We then have our usual 10 min excellent spell before shrinking back into our shell again and concede a last minute goal. Credit to Stenhousemuir who worked their socks off. Where do we go from here? The comment from Jacksgranda above may be appropriate but I still hope we can hit some consistent form to give us a chance of the playoffs. I would like to see Rabin Omar and Brian Cameron in central midfield. I was surprised Rabin was taken off as I thought he was playing well but I feel he would contribute more in a more central role. Shane started well but faded  and started to run with the ball and failed to pass when required. 

I can'tbelieve Rory got the man of match award. Must have been his pals!! Rant over!

I can't understand why City are still stuck in the lowest division after all these years. Mind you, results like yesterday's I can understand why they're stuck in the lowest division...

I could go on about players, team, tactics, management but my biggest rant would be about the support. We all moan and criticise but some of the shouts from the home support are abysmal. “Get him off he’s fckn crap” being one of many. How is that giving support, how is that supposed to lift a player? We wonder why players won’t sign, we wonder why our home form is so poor? Maybe we need to look at the support given. It was embarrassing and cringe worthy from some today.
Totally agree. A section of so called fans In that enclosure are nothing short of an embarrassment. Looking for Elgin to fail so they can start their negative nonsense. It's does my head in. Having spoken to a few players over the years about it, it really gets their back up aswell.

16 hours ago, elginer said:

It's hard to put square legs in round holes & expect to have a properly functioning machine. McEwan is a central midfielder so should be playing there where he's been playing really well of late, including second half yesterday. Ditto Omar. He was superb in central midfield in the early season BetFred game at Arbroath & really made the side tick, but he doesn't have the pace, tricks or inclination to play wide. Mackay is an out & out wide midfielder & gives defenders nightmares & makes things happen, the same as O'Keefe. If Sutherland & Hester are nailed on up top, then use the two wide boys to feed them, & it's then difficult decisions time on who plays in central midfield from Soapy, Omar, McEwan & Dingwall. 4-4-2 means only two can play, or play three at the back & get three of them in. The best managers make those difficult decisions & make their team work consistently well. Consistency of selection & performance is the major challenge.

5 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

It's hard to put square legs in round holes & expect to have a properly functioning machine. McEwan is a central midfielder so should be playing there where he's been playing really well of late, including second half yesterday. Ditto Omar. He was superb in central midfield in the early season BetFred game at Arbroath & really made the side tick, but he doesn't have the pace, tricks or inclination to play wide. Mackay is an out & out wide midfielder & gives defenders nightmares & makes things happen, the same as O'Keefe. If Sutherland & Hester are nailed on up top, then use the two wide boys to feed them, & it's then difficult decisions time on who plays in central midfield from Soapy, Omar, McEwan & Dingwall. 4-4-2 means only two can play, or play three at the back & get three of them in. The best managers make those difficult decisions & make their team work consistently well. Consistency of selection & performance is the major challenge.

A lot of valid points there and in the end of the day Price has got to make the difficult decisions. If he’s playing 4 in midfield then the players he has dictates that it’s Okeefe and McKay wide as the other players are not best suited to playing there. Then it’s your choice of who you play in centre and who you leave out or have a different formation, three at back or one up front?

Disagree about Dingwall as captain, at the moment I would not have him starting in centre mid if it’s only two in there. Don’t think captain necessarily has to be vocal.

3 at the back,defensive mid, three midfield, 2 up front with Sutherland behind them.

Gk - McHale
RB - Cooper
LB - Harper
CB - Bronsky
DM - MacEwan
CM - Mackay
CM - Cameron
CM - O’Keefe
AM - Sutherland
ST - Hester
ST - Osadolor

Sutherland’s strength and skill to feed the front 2 with Mackay and O’Keefe going wide when needed. Don’t think defensive mid is best for MacEwan but calm on the ball and can link up well.

I know people won’t agree but something needs to change and we need someone between the midfield and the strikers. Most games it’s like there is no midfield at all.

Interested to hear what others think and how the team should play.

our centre mid is not defensive minded enough to play 4 4 2 and I have been saying for long enough that we need to play sutherland up top with Hester wide left mckay right and soapy off sutherland. Any 2 of Omar mcewan and dingwall in front of defence. our defence does not get enough protection. Good to hear other ideas though. We have lost a ridiculous amount of points at end of matches.

Edited by elgin proud

On 19/01/2020 at 07:10, Neilly said:

Surprised and disappointed not to see Murray and Aberdeen Cowden in the thread as The Mighty win on the road.

We are seven points off fourth. This league is that bad we could yet go up through the play offs again.

gutted not to have the banger cars mob on here to moan about harvest swan and our millions in the bank while theyall hum along to finlay play the sash on his imaginery flute