Scott Robertson - West Committee

HaroldWilson

25 minutes ago, tommytwotapes said:

It was an unfortunate turn of phrase but was in no way intended as a racial slur as people on here would have you believe.  I can assure you that not one person at the meeting raised any concern about the phase apart from a look to the heavens.  I am not a great supporter in Scott and do believe some action should be taken and would like to think that the SJFA should put out a statement on the matter and not try to bury it.

Intent is irrelevant in terms of whether or not it is racist.

27 minutes ago, tommytwotapes said:

I said taken in the context of the reply .   Do not be a nob.  I suppose you never say things out of context

Check the origins of the phrase, it has ALWAYS been quite clearly racist.  It is exactly the sort of casual racism targeted by the Show Racism the Red Card campaign

At the end of the day Mr Robertson has had his day, he's a nightmare to deal with, a nightmare to communicate with, as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike if you do have the miss fortune of having to deal with him, this could be the catalyst for an overhaul in the junior fa, he's bullied the rest of the committee long enough, this is there chance, and the clubs chance to get this man out the system, he'll have his wee gang willing to support him but surely he has to go, #notafanofhis

You would need to have been in a coma for the last 40 years to not have grasped by now that phrases like that are no longer acceptable under any circumstamces and should never have been in the first place, so what does saying something like that at a formal public meeting say about his judgement and suitability for a leadership role?

The origins I believe was about smuggling black slaves in amongst wood pile?

In July 2017, the phrase was again used by British Conservative Party politician Anne Marie Morriswho said that Brexit without a deal with the European Union was the "real nigger in the woodpile". She later said "The comment was totally unintentional. I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused."[However, she was suspended the same day by the party's chief whip, on the orders of party leader, the prime minister, Theresa May

ergo the tories are less racist that the SJFA as they done something about it right away!

3 minutes ago, HaroldWilson said:

The origins I believe was about smuggling black slaves in amongst wood pile?

In July 2017, the phrase was again used by British Conservative Party politician Anne Marie Morriswho said that Brexit without a deal with the European Union was the "real nigger in the woodpile". She later said "The comment was totally unintentional. I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused."[However, she was suspended the same day by the party's chief whip, on the orders of party leader, the prime minister, Theresa May

ergo the tories are less racist that the SJFA as they done something about it right away!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_in_the_woodpile

47 minutes ago, tommytwotapes said:

It was an unfortunate turn of phrase but was in no way intended as a racial slur as people on here would have you believe.  I can assure you that not one person at the meeting raised any concern about the phase apart from a look to the heavens.  I am not a great supporter in Scott and do believe some action should be taken and would like to think that the SJFA should put out a statement on the matter and not try to bury it.

I appreciate you trying to play devils advocate for the purpose of debate but what was said, with or without context is nothing short of deplorable. Add this to his manner and social skills and people on the outside looking in must be wondering what the hell is going on.

look at the this from a club point of view;

dear local business,

we are looking for £1000 to buy new kits with your company name on the front. We currently play in the sjfa West region....

dear club,

we recently read the daily record in absolute amazement that racism still exists in such organisations in 2020 and want nothing to do with you.

The fact he’s not been sacked or resigned speaks volumes for the whole committee.

Backwards organisation, sooner it’s discontinued and led by a forward thinking committee the better!! (Maybe that East of Scotland mob he was attempting to criticize?)

Following a racist incident about 6 years ago Scott raised the topic at the Region meeting and, prior to asking me to comment on the legal aspects said, “whether we like it or not, they’re here to stay”. You couldn’t make this stuff up.  

Edited by valleyboy

12 minutes ago, mightychewbacca said:

Ron Atkinson used the term in 2004 during a live broadcast. Tried all the "out of context" " I'm a good guy" "I'm not racist" etc patter. Sacked on the spot and never held another role in fitba since. That's the stance the West sjfa have to take to show they won't be associated with it

That was more than 15 years ago too!