Cove vs Cowden

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Can’t agree. Thought the game was in the balance up until Cox’s bizarre sending off.

Thought it was a decent game and Cowden worked very hard to keep the scores level for 35 mins playing into a strong wind. First penalty was a clumsy challenge but the referee lost control of the game totally with the second penalty just before half time. McAllister was being flagged clearly for offside but the referee didn't see or ignored this, and awarded a very soft second penalty. The notoriously volatile Mount Bollan was threatening a full pyroclastic explosion at this point. Very poor officiating.

Cove I felt moved the ball very well indeed and their third goal was worth the admission fee alone- a delightful series of interlacing passes carving open Cowden, and Masson finishing well to the goalkeeper’s right with a powerful drive from the edge of the area.

Cox had a quiet game up until he stole a goal back as the Cove rearguard slept, waiting for an offside flag that never came. Seven minutes later he was extraordinarily red carded after a bizarre melee on the enclosure touchline. It seemed that Cox was ordered off for “headbutting” a spectator. I can only assume someone put mescalin in the referee’s half time refreshments-that never happened. The Cowden players rightly spent several minutes challenging the officials who by this point had lost all control. Even the home team seemed a bit baffled.

Cowden were demoralised by this and Cove managed the remainder of the match very effectively. I feel Cove did deserve to win, but the game was ruined as a contest by terrible match officials.

For Cove Strachan and Megginson did well, and McAllister will be satisfied with a scoring debut. Cowdenbeath’s goalkeeper made some fine saves and the team tried to stick to their task. They may not feel hard done by the result, but certainly the manner of it. That guy is simply not fit to be refereeng at senior level.

Just found out ref was Scott Lambie, a Fife referee who was shite at junior level so is maintaining his standards.

if anyone knows his address, please send to Coxy.

16 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Referee was poor in all fairness and the linesmen weren’t much better. At times he looked like he had never reffed a game in his life. 

How about cove appealing for the head butted fan to come forward ? Think I might be going to the police if it happened to me.

2 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

How about cove appealing for the head butted fan to come forward ? Think I might be going to the police if it happened to me.

That’s a very good point.

I was at the other side of the pitch and following the ball so didn’t know what was happening when the lineo raised his flag. Cox is no angel but if he didn’t do it he shouldn’t be getting punished and the red should be rescinded.  Hope the videographer caught it on camera

12 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Wasn’t at the game but according to club source, Cox was sent off for allegedly head butting a fan. 
Players backed up by cove players say this didn’t happen.

looks like Coxy now getting fitted up by the officials.

fitted up is quite an accusation-I was at the game and the lack of competence by those match officials was immense,perhaps  just one more example of their utter ineptitude yesterday rather than anything more sinister?

Edited by highlandcowden

2 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

fitted up is quite an accusation-I was at the game and the lack of competence by those match officials was immense,perhaps  just one more example of their utter ineptitude yesterday rather than anything more sinister?

Maybe but this is different from the norm. The linesman and referee have accused Cox of committing a criminal offence, despite so far no players or fans backing that up. So on the word of one man, Cox will be severely punished.

that cannot be right, no matter what team you support. Can you imagine if he played for the Old Firm ?

11 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Maybe but this is different from the norm. The linesman and referee have accused Cox of committing a criminal offence, despite so far no players or fans backing that up. So on the word of one man, Cox will be severely punished.

that cannot be right, no matter what team you support. Can you imagine if he played for the Old Firm ?

agree,thats shocking but I cant begin to emphasize how breathtakingly inept that officiating team were yesterday,i suspect that has more to do with an injustice being done to cox than some sort of "agenda"

5 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

On the match report on the Cowdenbeath Facebook, Cox's wife commented and said he was sent off for kicking an advertising board. 

He wasnt

A post on here from a Montrose neutral heard the linesman tell Kyle miller he head butted a fan. My Club contact tells me that is what scott lambie the referee also told the Club. Never seen anyone get a straight red for kicking an advert !

36 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

He wasnt

A post on here from a Montrose neutral heard the linesman tell Kyle miller he head butted a fan. My Club contact tells me that is what scott lambie the referee also told the Club. Never seen anyone get a straight red for kicking an advert !

Presumably the referee told Cox why he was being sent off and he then told his wife?

You've never seen anyone get a straight red for kicking an advert. Have you seen anyone get a red card for "headbutting" a fictitious fan? Does your "Club contact" want to remain a mystery? Why so secret?

13 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Presumably the referee told Cox why he was being sent off and he then told his wife?

You've never seen anyone get a straight red for kicking an advert. Have you seen anyone get a red card for "headbutting" a fictitious fan? Does your "Club contact" want to remain a mystery? Why so secret?

I remember Beaky being sent off at Arbroath after a fan threw the ball at him and he replied, in kind. But everyone knew about it.

I was quite close to the incident yesterday as were many Cove fans but there was no bad reaction from any of the Cove support. If any opposition player had attacked a supporter there would have been a riot.

35 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

On the match report on the Cowdenbeath Facebook, Cox's wife commented and said he was sent off for kicking an advertising board. 

That’s what our coaching staff said so they were presumably told this by an official right after it happened.

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

He wasnt

Could it be that Cox's wife was just making a comment to highlight that's what actually happened ?  

Reading the comments here it does seem that the officials lost control of the game and were making rash , unlogical decisions. No surprise there as officials at league two level are basically not competent enough. 

The outcome will be that the ruling bodies will take the referees report as gospel and won't accept any video evidence however damning it is towards the officials in question.  That's the way they work. 

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

There is no real dubiety here - Mrs Cox is saying David was sent off for kicking an advertising board as that is what he did.  She is saying that is all he did to be sent off.  The Cowdenbeath and Peterhead players though all stated that the referee (acting on Assistant Referee's call) told them that the sending off was for Violent Conduct - headbutting a fan.  You cannot be sent off for violent conduct for any reason other than striking or trying to strike someone.  Kicking an advertising board is not Violent Conduct in terms of the Laws of the Game

I am hearing that the officials later watered down their explanation of the red card, saying that Cox was ‘involved in an altercation with a fan’. Club will be appealing the red card. Cox accepts that he kicked the advertising hoarding so may be downgraded to a yellow.

4 minutes ago, Sursum Semper said:

I am hearing that the officials later watered down their explanation of the red card, saying that Cox was ‘involved in an altercation with a fan’. Club will be appealing the red card. Cox accepts that he kicked the advertising hoarding so may be downgraded to a yellow.

I believe that you need video evidence to appeal ? 

How is it that one man Robin Taylor the assistant referee can say Cox head butted a spectator despite not one player or spectator backing that up and no appeal allowed because there is no video evidence.

Cox has said publicly that due to his health issues and by his own admission, his sometimes overly aggressive nature, he has become a target for some players and officials. Regrettably I now have to agree with him.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Could it be that Cox's wife was just making a comment to highlight that's what actually happened ?  

Reading the comments here it does seem that the officials lost control of the game and were making rash , unlogical decisions. No surprise there as officials at league two level are basically not competent enough. 

The outcome will be that the ruling bodies will take the referees report as gospel and won't accept any video evidence however damning it is towards the officials in question.  That's the way they work. 

Officials moan about getting stick but honestly many of totally deserve it & unfortunately the beaks at Hampden never admit their employees are not up to it. Did think about going to this game yesterday with us not having a game & so many of our ex players being involved, went to Formartine game instead & as a neutral was able to laugh at folk getting upset with poor officials there. We recently had a game against Clyde where 2 players went for a 50/50 ball the referee who had already lost control of the game flashed a red card which most thought was for the Clyde player but was actually given to Si Ferry, Clyde to their credit supplied video footage for the appeal as they agreed the ref had got it wrong, the end result was Ferry got a 4 game ban because of the SFA not wanting to admit the incompetence of the ref. Hopefully the David Cox situation can be cleared up as there is a huge difference in kicking a hoarding in frustration & attacking a spectator & if the officials got it wrong which should come out in the refs report what the sending off was for then they should be liable to sanctions from their employers or if going with the assault claim if no proof shown the club should maybe consider legal action for defamation to clear the players name.

Cowden’s no. 6 was at the ref for a good couple of minutes after, repeatedly asking “can you show me the spectator that was hurt? Which spectator was hurt?” and basically bring told to go away. One of the more bizarre moments I’ve seen in nearly 30 years watching football at this level.

These officials are terrible, and really not up to it.