Who plays centre half in march?

greenockraver

Who Plays Centre Back V Israel?   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Clarke has called up Hanley for every squad so far I think, but he's always been injured.

Going by what I’ve heard through close friends of Hanleys, when he’s fit he’ll be our first choice centre half. No arguments from me, I’m not his biggest fan but he’s playing at the ‘highest’ level of all the options at moment. Back to last campaign, I think if he was up against the big man for Russia we might have fared better. That’s the kinda of opponent Hanley wants. Not sure who I’d have partner him, McKenna been the main stay but no sure of him. If coopers fit I’d probably go for him, although like someone pointed out, it’s probably harsh on Declan Gallagher after last two performances where he did nothing wrong

6 hours ago, Rabinho said:

Hanley must be in Clarke’s thoughts and he’s playing at a high level but it’d be pretty harsh on Gallagher after his decent display in the last double header.

Yeah but there's no room for sentiment. 

Hanley has spent his entire career at a higher level than Gallagher has ever played at.  He is captain of a Premiership club and right now playing every week.

I think some Scotland fans probably have a bad memory of him as he was struggling a lot when he played regularly a few years ago. But he was a young guy playing in a team that was a bit of a shambles.

He is really quite experienced and still not that old, has spent his career flitting between Championship and Premiership level, having at least three separate stints in the Premiership.  

At that level he is stretched a bit but that's no slight its the top level of the game, and he does okay.  We don't have any other CB's with any experience at that level and only two (Cooper and McKenna) who potentially will in the near future.

At Championship level Hanley has shown repeatedly he excels.

He is a much better player now than the raw kid who was a bit all over the place at times for Scotland in the past, much wiser, smarter, more experienced and more measured. 

He is a big, strong, aggressive type who is fairly mobile for a big lad, loves a tackle, loves defending a natural defender, and is surpisingly decent technically. He is aggressive and has a good attitude, a good professional who has always shown a good attitude to playing for Scotland.

Norwich are obviously going down which will actually suit him, as a year in the Championship where he can play loads of games and do well will be good for him, so he should be going into a good spell where he will play the best football of his life the next few years.

His experience would help a young player next to him too, and I like the balance of him and McKenna.  They compliment each other well and both like to defend. 

I think if both stay fit and Hanley can play a few more games for Norwich they will be the best two available for these games and maybe the two to hang our hat on for a wee while.

Gallagher has done well and is a good solid option but Hanley is comfortably ahead of him for me.

Yeah but there's no room for sentiment. 

Hanley has spent his entire career at a higher level than Gallagher has ever played at.  He is captain of a Premiership club and right now playing every week.

I think some Scotland fans probably have a bad memory of him as he was struggling a lot when he played regularly a few years ago. But he was a young guy playing in a team that was a bit of a shambles.

He is really quite experienced and still not that old, has spent his career flitting between Championship and Premiership level, having at least three separate stints in the Premiership.  

At that level he is stretched a bit but that's no slight its the top level of the game, and he does okay.  We don't have any other CB's with any experience at that level and only two (Cooper and McKenna) who potentially will in the near future.

At Championship level Hanley has shown repeatedly he excels.

He is a much better player now than the raw kid who was a bit all over the place at times for Scotland in the past, much wiser, smarter, more experienced and more measured. 

He is a big, strong, aggressive type who is fairly mobile for a big lad, loves a tackle, loves defending a natural defender, and is surpisingly decent technically. He is aggressive and has a good attitude, a good professional who has always shown a good attitude to playing for Scotland.

Norwich are obviously going down which will actually suit him, as a year in the Championship where he can play loads of games and do well will be good for him, so he should be going into a good spell where he will play the best football of his life the next few years.

His experience would help a young player next to him too, and I like the balance of him and McKenna.  They compliment each other well and both like to defend. 

I think if both stay fit and Hanley can play a few more games for Norwich they will be the best two available for these games and maybe the two to hang our hat on for a wee while.

Gallagher has done well and is a good solid option but Hanley is comfortably ahead of him for me.

I’d hardly say it’s sentiment to select someone who did well in his last two games, for those performances alone I’d say the right sided CB slot should be Gallagher’s until he does something that suggests otherwise.

I always thought Hanley was made a bit of a scapegoat for some poor team performances and at times I felt Martin was more at fault.

I haven’t watched much of Hanley for the last couple of seasons and he’d probably have had a couple more caps if he hadn’t pulled out the last few squads with injury.

Declan Gallagher put in passable performances against two very poor teams - that does not mean that he has made the position his own. You'd be as well saying that Stuart Findlay should start alongside him because he played well against San Marino.

Declan Gallagher put in passable performances against two very poor teams - that does not mean that he has made the position his own. You'd be as well saying that Stuart Findlay should start alongside him because he played well against San Marino.

Why, because they’re two completely different things?

I really don't care how Gallagher played in those games.  My only consideration is is Hanley a better player than Gallagher?  And I would say comfortably he is, so he gets the nod from me.

I would agree with this, but suspect with the fact he has not featured under Clarke that he won’t start. I suspect all the players who start the match will be those that are tried and tested in his system of play.