Gdansk

Adam

9 minutes ago, Adam said:

Just booked a weekend in Gdansk in April, and looking for somewhere to stay. Reading that the Old Town is the best place to stay, anyone got any recommendations?

If you're looking for a budget hotel, this place was fine, ideally located just by the river in the old town. Recommend a visit to the Solidarnosc museum, spectacular modern building by the docks with exhibits about the the overthrow of Communism, Lech Walesa and that lot.

https://celestinresidence.pl/en

9 hours ago, Adam said:

Many thanks guys, but looking at Air B&B I think that could also be an option. Any specific areas we should be looking to stay in?

My Dad lived and worked there for years. Anywhere close to the Old Town is perfect. Stayed in the Puro Hotel last time we went over, was perfect. There's lots of Air BnB's around that area too that are spot on.

Make sure you head out to Sopot while you're there, stunning big beaches and cracking place to go for the day, especially when the weather is decent. Even Gdinya as well. Pretty cool war museum down at the beach there.

The word Gdansk strikes utter fear into me. A few years back, Ryanair did £5 return flights to numerous destinations. Me and a pal went over for the day. Setting off from Stansted at 6 in the morning. It was March, weather was terrible and we just walked from bar to bar. Some of the places were incredible, if it was London you'd be paying at least £8 a pint, however don't think we ever went over £2.

Eventually we decided to go out to the stadium for a look around, the taxi let us out and then buggered off. Unfortunately because there was a game that evening, we weren't actually allowed near the stadium, was a bit odd but we started our walk back to town. Luckily we managed to hop on a tram, which took us back to the centre. We got off near the train station and found ourselves right next to a bar. I say bar, quite a stretch. As we went in, literally everybody turned round, was a bit unnerving but on the pursuit of cheap beer we continued. They didn't do any draught, just bottles, for a grand total of 30p. We slowly sipped away, and decided we would finish and leave. However these two guys came over with a bottle of vodka and asked to drink with us. Me or my friend were not vodka drinkers, but agreed to the offer. Obviously they just drink it neat, so we would take a shot and then wash it down with the beer. After the first bottle went we bought another bottle (£2.75) to return the favour. It's only now I look back and realise that with the second bottle of vodka, the locals stopped drinking it, whilst me and my friend continued on. At one point one of the Polish guys proudly claimed he could beatbox, of course we offered encouragement and he started with his act. Unfortunately due to being incredibly pissed, and I assume not actually any good at beatboxing, he ended up slevering everywhere. Not to deter the show, we applauded and cheered him on. Must have lasted an hour. When the second bottle was finished, we bid goodbye to our new friends and made our way back into town for some food. 

The next thing I can remember is waking up on a hospital type bed, I was so confused about where I was. My first thought was where my mate was, I got up and went into a room opposite where he was in a similar state. A doctor (I presume) tried calming us down but we just ran out a door and ran on a pavement looking for a taxi. Found one quite quickly and hopped in, asking him to drive as quick as possible to the airport. On the journey we went through our stuff, thinking we were going to have lost everything, but nothing had gone. Cash was still there, passport was in my pocket, camera was in my bag, and most importantly my arsehole was still intact. 

To this day, not sure what actually happened. 

This is the bar in question, if you want a cheap drink, I can highly recommend. 

Gdansk.jpg

That story is absolutely outstanding.  Bravo.  And well done on making your flight home as well.

As I am going with my burd, I sincerely doubt anything along those lines will occur.

You Gdansk if you wanna. You can leave your friends behind. Cause your friends don’t Gdansk and if they don’t Gdansk then they’re no friends of mine.

Mercure hotel’s awrite

Edited by The OP

6 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Gdansk.jpg

was there a couple of years back,gutted I never went here

was in a bar where whenever anyone left they went around and tearfully hugged everyone,whether or not the huggers had had any interaction whatsoever with the huggees prior to this was irrelevant

The next thing I can remember is waking up on a hospital type bed, I was so confused about where I was. My first thought was where my mate was, I got up and went into a room opposite where he was in a similar state. A doctor (I presume) tried calming us down but we just ran out a door and ran on a pavement looking for a taxi. Found one quite quickly and hopped in, asking him to drive as quick as possible to the airport. On the journey we went through our stuff, thinking we were going to have lost everything, but nothing had gone. Cash was still there, passport was in my pocket, camera was in my bag, and most importantly my arsehole was still intact. 
To this day, not sure what actually happened. 

More than likely the drunk tank, quite a few polish cities have them. Police take heavily intoxicated punters there for their own safety, and so they don’t have to deal with them in the cells.

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

More than likely the drunk tank, quite a few polish cities have them. Police take heavily intoxicated punters there for their own safety, and so they don’t have to deal with them in the cells.

im not surprised,theres some drinking culture over there.im led to believe its illegal to drink in public there,you wouldn't think so when youre there

On 17/01/2020 at 08:43, highlandcowden said:

im not surprised,theres some drinking culture over there.im led to believe its illegal to drink in public there,you wouldn't think so when youre there

Lots of 24hr bars which are all really cheap and the locals are usually really friendly.

Beautiful country, extremely cheap for accommodation, food and drink, similar sense of humour to ourselves and full of mostly honest genuine people.

What's not to like ??

• 1 month later...