Signings you got wrong...

If we're including managers then:

Mark Mcghee - his Motherwell side were great to watch, I was buzzing at a club legend returning with a bit of manager pedigree. Fucking hell that was grim.

Derek Mcinnes - Totally meh appointment at the time. Did well at St Johnstone but just wasn't inspired at all. Expected more Craig Brown times.

On players (excluding Cosgrove as too obvious):

Steve Lovell - I think we were after both him and Kris Boyd in the same summer, I wanted Lovell. He was alright but nowhere near what I'd hoped for.

David Goodwillie - Always liked watching him for other clubs, showed flashes with us but never quite hit his potential.

Scott Vernon - barely noticed him as a signing at the time but such a likeable player.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

I thought the signing of Kevin Kyle would be an absolutely hopeless move - ended up convincingly our best player for the majority of his time at Kilmarnock. 

So many on the other side of the balance - I thought Darren Barr was an absolutely brilliant move when he arrived for a brief period in the mid-10s.

Edited by Estragon

Gavin Reilly

Think most were disappointed when he signed and Rory Loy signed for Falkirk, especially given Reillys previous few seasons at Hearts and Dunfermline on loan.

I’m not saying he was a world beater (he was a bit of a flat track bully) but to get 20 goals when I expected about 3 was testament to how good he was for the first half of the season.

Higdon was another albeit poor first season then unplayable second season.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Judging by the folk at games, some still do.

Fucking dickheads. 

Yep. You still hear "I TOLD YOU he was fucking shite' if he happens to give the ball away at games.

Funnily enough they just shut up when he scores.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Yep. You still hear "I TOLD YOU he was fucking shite' if he happens to give the ball away at games.

Funnily enough they just shut up when he scores.

"Run aboot then ya lazy c**t" at a recent game when the ball was at Joe Lewis's feet. (St Johnstone away i think).

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

If we're including managers then:

Mark Mcghee - his Motherwell side were great to watch, I was buzzing at a club legend returning with a bit of manager pedigree. Fucking hell that was grim.

Derek Mcinnes - Totally meh appointment at the time. Did well at St Johnstone but just wasn't inspired at all. Expected more Craig Brown times.

On players (excluding Cosgrove as too obvious):

Steve Lovell - I think we were after both him and Kris Boyd in the same summer, I wanted Lovell. He was alright but nowhere near what I'd hoped for.

David Goodwillie - Always liked watching him for other clubs, showed flashes with us but never quite hit his potential.

Scott Vernon - barely noticed him as a signing at the time but such a likeable player.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

It's a shame that he's a total c**t of a man.

Stevie May. As I said in the st Johnstone thread the other day I was happy we were prioritising him over Moult. Seemed like a typical McInnes signing. Someone who did well up here goes down the road and struggles. Comes back and does brilliant. Sadly he was done.

Niall McGinn. Wasn't too impressed when we signed him. then he got injured in what must have been his first game. Came back and went on that great scoring run and on course to become a modern day club legend.

I think Michael Higdon was seen as underwhelming at the time by most Motherwell fans. Even after his first few games, I'd say most people were unconvinced. I remember going to a league cup game at Clyde early in his first season and he was getting pelters. He obviously came good in the end and is probably my favourite Motherwell player in my time as a supporter.

I would also put Tom Aldred in the "underwhelming" bracket purely because Bury fans on Twitter absolutely slated him when he first signed but he was nothing but outstanding for us.

At the other end of the scale, James McFadden in his third spell for us was a massive disappointment. I didn't expect him to be as good as he was first (or even second) time round but he was clearly done. Ross McCormack is another one - ability wise he's probably still as good as anyone in the league but that counts for nothing when you're 5 stone overweight and don't seem bothered about doing anything about it.

Casper Sloth this season is the worst for a while as I was convinced that  we had pulled off one of those signings that no-one saw coming and would make a huge difference. As he hasn't gone just yet, there is time for him to pull a Gorrin and have an outstanding 2nd half of the season but I can't see it - and I guess a guy of his age with caps for Denmark ending up at Motherwell should have set some alarm bells ringing.

I was also at the first game of the season at Inverness a few years back that @capt_oats mentions when the stand out players were Wes Fletcher and Joe Chalmers - where Moult looked very lower league in comparison :)

In old history, I really hated Brian Martin when he was at St Mirren and I was less than happy when we signed him as I thought he wasn't good enough - and there genuinely haven't been many/any better central defenders than him at Fir Park since. 

Power as said earlier looked like an overweight waster in his first few games then once fit became one of our best midfielders since we came back up to the top league. Can't believe it's the same player.

Broadfoot another one who i was raging we signed. Hadn't played in almost a year due to injury was 32/33 and we gave him a 3 year deal. 🙄  After Clarke came in he became solid, won everything in the air and introduced levels of shithousery that wound up opposing players and fans alike. Did have the odd heads gone moment but we'd have been worse off without him. Particularly fond of Clarkes first game getting Ryan Jack sent off at Ibrox before we equalised last min. Delicious. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think Michael Higdon was seen as underwhelming at the time by most Motherwell fans. Even after his first few games, I'd say most people were unconvinced. I remember going to a league cup game at Clyde early in his first season and he was getting pelters. He obviously came good in the end and is probably my favourite Motherwell player in my time as a supporter.

I loved the fact on Steelmen, the bold Steelboy was one of many who slated the f**k out Higdon early on but as literally everyone else was won over as the goals and performances started coming, he never wavered even when Higgy was scoring 30 goals and getting POTY :)

4 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I rather hastily predicted to someone, after he scored a couple of goals in meaningless friendlies against part-time jobbers, that Chris Forrester was going to be Aberdeen's Player of the Year last season. He wasn't. 

People within the club thought he was going to be great based on how good he looked in training when he first arrived.

6 hours ago, Dave1875 said:

Jorge Claros... finally a postive note.. expected him to be another shite Fenlon signing given the crowd he was introduced with (Soares, Doherty, O'Donovan &.. *sighs* Kujabi).. but fair to see he exceeded expectations and I was gutted that we weren't able to sign him fully cause Motagua kept pricing him out 

Any excuse to dig out this. Not too many occasions at the football where I've actually laughed out loud at something shite a player has done....

Edited by Mr Hahn

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

I loved the fact on Steelmen, the bold Steelboy was one of many who slated the f**k out Higdon early on but as literally everyone else was won over as the goals and performances started coming, he never wavered even when Higgy was scoring 30 goals and getting POTY :)

It's been a while since I've posted over there but I'd fully expect to find Steelboy still out there, last man standing on that particular hill.

Edited by capt_oats