Signings you got wrong...

Surprised no Hibs fans have said Martin Boyle, an extremely underwhelming signing at the time. Has improved year on year and is probably one of our most prized assets now.

Stokes signing for the third time was a massive disaster. I thought he'd kick on after the Cup final but he was pretty poor and his behaviour was very poor before being punted.

53 minutes ago, yoda said:

I remember being quite excited by the signing of Orhan Mustafi. On paper his career looked alright - goals for Basel, in the German second tier, and Grasshopper - and there was essentially six months of anticipation over his arrival. His YouTube reel was, as you might expect, decent too!

7 games, no goals, and not even the hint of looking like a competent footballer. 

He scored against Stranraer in the League Cup when Stranraer won 3-2.

4 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Being a part-time Coventry fan, I was delighted when we signed Gael Bigirimana, as I'd seen him control the tempo for Coventry a good few times. Unfortuantely, other than a small period at the start of last season, it never worked out for him. Not robust enough to play in a Robinson team and even when we did go for sexy football eventually, Rodriguez-Gorrin came in as whilst McHugh could tackle and header and Bigi could pass, he could do all of those.

I thought Brian Kerr would be a great signing as he joined from Newcastle who were flying at the time, having played in the Champions League with three Scotland caps already. But for a handful of spectacular goals (this is why youtube videos that agents promote can't be trusted), he served only to be good at hide and seek. Particularly if the game was a battle. He was allegedly a Motherwell fan too!

I also thought that given how good he was for Dundee United, Nadir Ciftci would be a great signing. Despite the cult created in his name by our fans (which I can't fathom), he was actually very poor, particularly as I imagine we were paying a decent bit of his wages. He looked like "if he gets fit he could be good" in his first game, but still looked like that on his tenth. 2 of his 3 goals came in a meaningless final day of the season game.

On the flip side, when Higdon left and Sutton came back, I was underwhelmed by it and actually wanted us to sign Lee Miller, who then signed an extension at Carlisle, before joining Killie a season later where he managed one league goal. Sutton scored 22 and we finished second again.

Also, when Liam Grimshaw signed for a second time, I thought it was an unnecessary signing as we were already overloaded in the middle of the park, as much as I did like him in his first spell. As well as some decent performances in the middle, he's managed to reinvent himself as a solid, dependable right back and even knocked Tait out of the team.

Boo boy Joe!

David Templeton assumed he was completely done when we picked him up given he was only playing for the reserves/u20s whatever it was. Got a full pre-season under him and blew away my expectations.

Then on the opposite side of that you had Damian Casalinouvo. First time we had paid a transfer fee in many a year. Was not worth the outlay. His fresh air swipe and trip in a game still haunts me.

15 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I thought Brian Kerr would be a great signing as he joined from Newcastle who were flying at the time, having played in the Champions League with three Scotland caps already. But for a handful of spectacular goals (this is why youtube videos that agents promote can't be trusted), he served only to be good at hide and seek. Particularly if the game was a battle. He was allegedly a Motherwell fan too!

He was decent in his loan spell at Livi before being injured against Motherwell....the next game he played was for you.

Wasn't overly convinced when we signed Lee Miller at the time. By all reports he was past it and would be warming our bench/physio table (that was how his time at Livi ended right enough). His performances in the playoffs were outstanding and although he didn't score many in his time with us he absolutely epitomised the attitude of the team.

20 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Won't hear a word against this wonderful man.  In an old Champ Manager, Brian Kerr was the inspirational captain and lynchpin of my Oxford United side who won successive promotions to the Championship, before a brief spell in the EPL and a memorable run to the FA Cup final.  A giant among pygmies.

I was working with a Swindon Town fan and he raved about their no nonsense centre half, who was the de facto real captain in their team.

We signed him and I had genuine hope.

That hope came in the shape of 'Jerel Ifil'  🤢

SWEET BABY JESUS, and 44 (FORTY FOUR) appearances for us! 🤢

Yours, sobbing in the corner.

aDONis

I was working with a Swindon Town fan and he raved about their no nonsense centre half, who was the de facto real captain in their team.
We signed him and I had genuine hope.
That hope came in the shape of 'Jerel Ifil'  🤢
SWEET BABY JESUS, and 44 (FORTY FOUR) appearances for us! 🤢
Yours, sobbing in the corner.
aDONis

Jerel Ifil was unforgettable, for one reason only.

Away at St Mirren he hit a simple 10 yard, side footed first time pass, across the back 4...

OVER THE ROOF AND 500 YARDS OUT OF THE STADIUM

Still to this day do not know how he managed it.

On 14/01/2020 at 16:48, conboyhibs said:

Surprised no Hibs fans have said Martin Boyle, an extremely underwhelming signing at the time. Has improved year on year and is probably one of our most prized assets now.

He's not really though, is he? He's literally had 3 or 4 good post-injury games. 

11 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

He's not really though, is he? He's literally had 3 or 4 good post-injury games. 

He's been consistently good for 2 or 3 seasons now. He's one of the quickest players in the league and is a full internationalist. I think outside of Porteous and Kamberi, he'd command a higher transfer fee than anyone else in the squad.