Signings you got wrong...

29 minutes ago, Swello said:

I loved the fact on Steelmen, the bold Steelboy was one of many who slated the f**k out Higdon early on but as literally everyone else was won over as the goals and performances started coming, he never wavered even when Higgy was scoring 30 goals and getting POTY :)

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's been a while since I've posted over there but I'd fully expect to find Steelboy still out there, last man standing on that particular hill.

He picked Sutton over Higdon and Moult in his team of the decade the other week! :lol: Absolutely outstanding commitment to the bit by this point tbh. 

Yep. You still hear "I TOLD YOU he was fucking shite' if he happens to give the ball away at games.
Funnily enough they just shut up when he scores.

You must sit next to my da then, he fucking hates him.

I’ll admit I totally wrote Cosgrove off as well, to the point where I was pissed off he was scoring at the very start of his run, because it justified having that great big galoot in the team. Needless to say, he had the last laugh.

I remember being very excited that we’d signed a Colombian international keeper from Manchester City, but David Gonzalez was really poor. I was also gassed about Greg Stewart (both times!) but he was a gutless spineless precious soul who wasn’t fit to wear the jersey.

I also thought that Stephen Hughes would be a good signing...

Obvious one for us has to be Conrad Logan. Turned up severely out of shape and hadn’t played in over a year. I was sure he’d struggle to even get down low enough to dive into the bottom corners. 

Put in a MOTM display in the Scottish Cup semi final (“DOWN THE MIDDLE BILLY, DOWN THE MIDDLE”) before going on to feature in the side that played and won the final.

Think most Hibs fans will have called that one wrong. 

Edited by Zing.

12 minutes ago, Zing. said:

Obvious one for us has to be Conrad Logan. Turned up severely out of shape and hadn’t played in over a year. I was sure he’d struggle to even get down low enough to dive into the bottom corners. 

Put in a MOTM display in the Scottish Cup semi final (“DOWN THE MIDDLE BILLY, DOWN THE MIDDLE”) before going on to feature in the side that played and won the final.

I forgot about that fat c**t :lol:

What a legend.

Any excuse to dig out this. Not too many occasions at the football where I've actually laughed out loud at something shite a player has done....

Christ I’d recently erased this from my mind. Now got to purchase more brain bleach for later now 🤣

1 hour ago, Zing. said:

Remember seeing the teams come out and then line up for the pre match squad photo and howling laughing.

Goes on to have a great game.

Aff the top of my head I expected decent returns from Casper Sloth, Ross McCormack, Gael Bigi, ATS, Stephen Hendrie, Paul Lawson.

Although they weren't signings Dom Thomas and Ross Forbes initially anaw.

Expected at least decent things from each. all were mostly shite.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aff the top of my head I expected decent returns from Casper Sloth, Ross McCormack, Gael Bigi, ATS, Stephen Hendrie, Paul Lawson.

Although they weren't signings Dom Thomas and Ross Forbes initially anaw.

Expected at least decent things from each. all were mostly shite.

Was he not pretty good to start off with. Then a few years later he's playing part time football?

He was great in his first 5 or 6 games but quickly got lazy and was blowing oot his arse after 20 mins all the time. Some left peg on him though.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Was he not pretty good to start off with. Then a few years later he's playing part time football?

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I would also put Tom Aldred in the "underwhelming" bracket purely because Bury fans on Twitter absolutely slated him when he first signed but he was nothing but outstanding for us.

Needless to say, we had the last laugh. Deid!

Being a part-time Coventry fan, I was delighted when we signed Gael Bigirimana, as I'd seen him control the tempo for Coventry a good few times. Unfortuantely, other than a small period at the start of last season, it never worked out for him. Not robust enough to play in a Robinson team and even when we did go for sexy football eventually, Rodriguez-Gorrin came in as whilst McHugh could tackle and header and Bigi could pass, he could do all of those.

I thought Brian Kerr would be a great signing as he joined from Newcastle who were flying at the time, having played in the Champions League with three Scotland caps already. But for a handful of spectacular goals (this is why youtube videos that agents promote can't be trusted), he served only to be good at hide and seek. Particularly if the game was a battle. He was allegedly a Motherwell fan too!

I also thought that given how good he was for Dundee United, Nadir Ciftci would be a great signing. Despite the cult created in his name by our fans (which I can't fathom), he was actually very poor, particularly as I imagine we were paying a decent bit of his wages. He looked like "if he gets fit he could be good" in his first game, but still looked like that on his tenth. 2 of his 3 goals came in a meaningless final day of the season game.

On the flip side, when Higdon left and Sutton came back, I was underwhelmed by it and actually wanted us to sign Lee Miller, who then signed an extension at Carlisle, before joining Killie a season later where he managed one league goal. Sutton scored 22 and we finished second again.

Also, when Liam Grimshaw signed for a second time, I thought it was an unnecessary signing as we were already overloaded in the middle of the park, as much as I did like him in his first spell. As well as some decent performances in the middle, he's managed to reinvent himself as a solid, dependable right back and even knocked Tait out of the team.

I remember being quite excited by the signing of Orhan Mustafi. On paper his career looked alright - goals for Basel, in the German second tier, and Grasshopper - and there was essentially six months of anticipation over his arrival. His YouTube reel was, as you might expect, decent too!

7 games, no goals, and not even the hint of looking like a competent footballer. 

24 minutes ago, yoda said:

I remember being quite excited by the signing of Orhan Mustafi. On paper his career looked alright - goals for Basel, in the German second tier, and Grasshopper - and there was essentially six months of anticipation over his arrival. His YouTube reel was, as you might expect, decent too!

7 games, no goals, and not even the hint of looking like a competent footballer. 

Had to Google him as I'd never heard of him. He now plays for the brilliantly named Young Fellows Juventus.

Wasn't convinced Kenny Miller would be a good manager, but thought he'd at least be a half decent striker and play well. We were a man down with him on the pitch, and as good as a few more down with how he had the team playing.

Had to Google the name because he was that underwhelming but we signed Joe Thomson on loan from Celtic, who had rave reviews from Queen of the South fans, and thought he would be an excellent player for us, he left about a month later because he wasn't good enough to get off the bench.

When we signed Liam Kelly after getting promoted to the Premiership I was a bit disappointed, he was alright when we had him on loan in League One but not much better than that, ended up being way off the mark on that one. Ryan Hardie's second spell is the opposite, expected him to do really well but he seemed to trail off after he got his Rangers contract extended.