Signings you got wrong...

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:
15 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:
If the Scottish media get a nomination for this it would surely be Joey Barton.
Most pundits choice for POTY, only to be unceremoniously punted by January.

Was it not September?

Yep, emptied after we pumped them 5-1 at Celtic Park and he apparently went for Andy Halliday post match in the dressing room. 

I thought Chris Eagles was a reasonably smart and ambitious signing by Owen Coyle. He'd been around the English lower leagues for a while but had scored goals at Burnley and Bolton and a wide player who could cross was something we were crying out for. However, he was shite, could barely cross, wouldn't track back and eventually became second fiddle to Davis Keilor Dunn. David N'Gog could be another, but I expected he'd be useless.

I didn't think much of Grant Munro singing for us, expecting him to take one final season before retiring but formed a good centre half partnership with Scott Boyd and that goal against Celtic...

2lnycq.jpg

The last one was probably not a player, but the legend that is JC returning as manager. I'm still absolutely gutted about how that turned out.

Same, it should have been wonderful.

I actually played golf with him a few months after he'd been sacked. Couldn't bring myself to ask him anything about saints at all. Was probably for the best as it was only a 2ball, so he'd easily have murdered and left me in bunker.

From the JC era, I thought Michael Moore was gonna be the new Roddy.

I think we were all surprised at how good Goran Stanic turned out to be.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Neither of them played for The Rangers m9.

Well actually, Gordon Marshall kinda did. He started his career there, came through their youth ranks but didn't make a senior first team appearance. Nae luck.

I was of course referring to my own club Motherwell, but you know that fine well. :)

Edited by MJC

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

Well actually, Gordon Marshall kinda did. He started his career there, came through their youth ranks but didn't make a senior first team appearance. Nae luck.

I was of course referring to my own club Motherwell, but you know that fine well. :)

So no, he kinda didnae.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stolen from all the lower league forums, but a great idea.

What signings for you club did you get wrong? Did someone you slated turn into a legend? Did someone who had you buzzing turn out to be shite?

Obvious one for me is Scott Tanser. Voted Port Vales worst ever player on their forum, a total non-entity who appeared on trial to make up the numbers. First time I saw him he looked like a stick insect and played like one too. Hes not a great player now, but I'm fairly sure I claimed he'd never play for us and be gone within 6 months, hes currently closing in on 100 appearances for us.

Opposite is a huge list. Most obvious is Stefan Scougall, i spent well over a year demanding we sign him, then it eventually happened. He had an awful time of it, by the end even I couldnt make an argument for him to stay in the team. Shame.

Stevie May

case closed 

absolute diddy.

sorry but true 

I thought Michael Hart would be the answer to Hibs' long standing right-back problem. He wasn't. Similar story with Tim Clancy.

I thought Simon Murray was a phantom signing but he did alright for 6 months and ended up making Hibs some money.

Edited by Crawford Bridge
Remembered Tim Clancy.

Scott Severin.   Whilst I never considered him to be rubbish when he was with Hearts , I’d never thought of him as anything more than just an average ,journeyman type.  But once he signed for us and I saw him in action I soon realised that he was a far better player than I’d thought . And certainly far better than most of the dross I’d become accustomed to seeing in our team for much of the previous decade or so.

Edited by A96

James Collins... £200K... for THAT... for a guy his size his balance was like watching Bambi on ice whenever a opponent went near him. 6 goals in 36 games tells you all you need to know

Rowan Vine... you thought James Collins was shite... says it all when all people really remember of Vine from his time with Hibs was his beard.. you could say he was the original Hipster Filth at Hibs

Jorge Claros... finally a postive note.. expected him to be another shite Fenlon signing given the crowd he was introduced with (Soares, Doherty, O'Donovan &.. *sighs* Kujabi).. but fair to see he exceeded expectations and I was gutted that we weren't able to sign him fully cause Motagua kept pricing him out