Signings you got wrong...

Stolen from all the lower league forums, but a great idea.

What signings for you club did you get wrong? Did someone you slated turn into a legend? Did someone who had you buzzing turn out to be shite?

Obvious one for me is Scott Tanser. Voted Port Vales worst ever player on their forum, a total non-entity who appeared on trial to make up the numbers. First time I saw him he looked like a stick insect and played like one too. Hes not a great player now, but I'm fairly sure I claimed he'd never play for us and be gone within 6 months, hes currently closing in on 100 appearances for us.

Opposite is a huge list. Most obvious is Stefan Scougall, i spent well over a year demanding we sign him, then it eventually happened. He had an awful time of it, by the end even I couldnt make an argument for him to stay in the team. Shame.

Alan Power after his first match at Sumerset Park when Ayr won 1-0 in the LC group stages.

He got slated for his subsequent performances as well, until SC arrived.......

How wrong was I & many other Killie fans? 

Edited by C4mmy31

Mo Camara. Was fit, experienced, had recently played at a decent level.... was shite. Nice line in bunnets though.

Then, you had someone like Andy Dorman. ‘Andy Who?’. Turned up, never heard of the bloke, and he was excellent.

Some you win, some you lose.

Edited by pozbaird

When we signed Juarez there was talk of him turning down Barca because he wanted to be a midfielder and didn't want to be 2nd choice right back for them. When he turned up he looked to be an all action midfielder who could do everything.
Went down to see Celtic play in a tournament at the Emirates and couldn't get over how good he was, he scored for us against Braga too in a european qualifier. I was genuinely scared he wasn't going to stay with us in the same transfer window.

Fast forward to January and his form dived  and we were trying to punt him on loan to anybody and hardly saw him again. He did have baggage in terms of being a bit of a party boy (there was a story of him and a few other international team mates being caught at a party and pumping ladyboy and getting bans for it). In the end I thought maybe British football didn't suit him which has often been the case for Mexican players before and he would be a success elsewhere but he hasnt.

On the other foot, Paul Telfer. We had just lost our captain McNamara by not giving him a 2 year deal and replaced him with somebody a few older strangely. Was pissed off at how we lost him just after his testimonial and thought it would be good to have his type at the club with MON leaving so seeing we had signed Telfer everybody was thinking WTF?

After the horror he played in the Artmedia Bratislava game I rarely saw him play a bad game and was ridiculously fit for his age, would bomb 40 yards just to be available for Naka should he decide he wanted a 1-2. A very underrated player for us.

Steve Jennings - initially thought he was overweight and ineffective but went on to be an integral part of the team and indeed we've struggled to find a player like that since.

Gordon Marshall - 39 year old just been released by Kilmarnock. We'd finally got shot of Stevie Woods and here we were signing an aging Killie reject. He went on to have two solid and impressive seasons with us and proved a major upgrade on what we had before. His teamtalk before extra time in the 2005 LCSF at Easter Road was said to have proved inspirational to the rest of the team. Sadly he chose the final to have his worse game for us but overall he was a very good goalkeeper for us.

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

Steve Jennings - initially thought he was overweight and ineffective but went on to be an integral part of the team and indeed we've struggled to find a player like that since.

Gordon Marshall - 39 year old just been released by Kilmarnock. We'd finally got shot of Stevie Woods and here we were signing an aging Killie reject. He went on to have two solid and impressive seasons with us and proved a major upgrade on what we had before. His teamtalk before extra time in the 2005 LCSF at Easter Road was said to have proved inspirational to the rest of the team. Sadly he chose the final to have his worse game for us but overall he was a very good goalkeeper for us.

Neither of them played for The Rangers m9.

31 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Mo Camara. Was fit, experienced, had recently played at a decent level.... was shite. Nice line in bunnets though.

Then, you had someone like Andy Dorman. ‘Andy Who?’. Turned up, never heard of the bloke, and he was excellent.

Some you win, some you lose.

Awkward. That was Djemba Djemba.... :lol:

Guest Bob Mahelp

Craig Bryson - This obviously comes with a caveat that he could make a miraculous recovery and go on to be a club legend, but the fact is that while it looked like a great signing on paper, we've signed a highly paid broken dud. 

Lewis Ferguson- When we signed him I said 'meeeh' and expected him to go into the youth team and be loaned out to Dunfermline for a couple of years. Then I saw him play against Burnley and within 10 minutes I realised that this kid will have a long international career and almost certainly go on to captain the team/make Aberdeen millions when he leaves.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

I was not impressed with either Dembele or Eduoard to begin with, suffice to say I called it wrong on each occasion...

I thought Derek Riordan would be a 100+ goalscorer for Celtic given how impressive he was for Hibernian, in a Celtic side that creates double the chances he'll score a barrowload I proclaimed, he was indeed talented but, I hadn't factored in the fact he was a catering sized fucking daftie and pissed his undoubted talent away like his equally brain dead mate Gary O'Connor. Both only achieved a fraction in their career that their talents should have yielded. 

Koki Mizuno had a quite electric debut for Celtic at Falkirk and I came away that day thinking the guy would be a sensation, I think he managed about 5 more games for Celtic where he was completely anonymous and bounced about umpteen clubs in the middle East and Asia afterwards, excelling at none by all accounts. 

Stolen from all the lower league forums, but a great idea.
What signings for you club did you get wrong? Did someone you slated turn into a legend? Did someone who had you buzzing turn out to be shite?
Obvious one for me is Scott Tanser. Voted Port Vales worst ever player on their forum, a total non-entity who appeared on trial to make up the numbers. First time I saw him he looked like a stick insect and played like one too. Hes not a great player now, but I'm fairly sure I claimed he'd never play for us and be gone within 6 months, hes currently closing in on 100 appearances for us.
Opposite is a huge list. Most obvious is Stefan Scougall, i spent well over a year demanding we sign him, then it eventually happened. He had an awful time of it, by the end even I couldnt make an argument for him to stay in the team. Shame.
Not for a long time, because I learned many years ago to watch a player in a few games before judging him.

The last one was probably not a player, but the legend that is JC returning as manager. I'm still absolutely gutted about how that turned out.

Yip, I'll put my hand up and admit to being quite excited at Ross McCormack signing as well.

On the other hand, I was a bit underwhelmed at the signings of both John Sutton and Michael Higdon.
I was completely underwhelmed when we signed Sutton. I was right to be.