Signings You Were Wrong About

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not sure why you've quoted me in there.

My comments about Marshall are entirely positive.

Think it's fairly clear if you read. That's the response from all QotS fans on here at the time.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Those first 11 games he was played up front for us and, as you said, looked like a great signing. For some unknown reason he spent the rest of his time out wide and did bugger all. Aberdeen, Partick and now is again have continued to play him out wide which is totally bizarre since it is pretty obvious he isn’t a winger.

Victim in some ways of the typical lacking Scottish management mentality of hoof ball. Stick a fast guy on the wing irrespective of crossing ability and throw a lump up top to rattle ill aimed skyward balls at. Glorious tactics.

I remember being quite excited when Gerry Collins signed Andy Thomson who'd had a fairly successful career in England having left Queen of the South. Not sure if it was just the prolific form of James Grady that put him in the shade but he was very underwhelming. Rather infuriatingly, he then moved to Falkirk the following season and played quite well against us as we succumbed to consecutive relegation.

Probably the most memorable one would be Scott 'Boab' McCulloch. Boab wasn't the most athletic looking guy by any means, he played a trial game for us at Brechin where we were royally pumped 4-0 and he was blowing out his arse at centre half. Didn't think we'd see him again but lo and behold, Campbell signed him. But my God, in a terribly turgid season, Boab was one of the few highlights. A hard no-nonsense b*****d with an absolutely thunderous left foot. A true cult hero.

16 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

I seem to remember a prominent Morton poster on here mocking us mercilessly for signing two junior diddies in Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine.

Swing and a miss.

I seem to remember the same Morton fan crash-landing in the Ayr Thread when we signed Lawrence Shankland. Fast forward a year and Lawrence Shankland was banging in goals at Cappielow in a 5-1 hounding.

Swing and a miss indeed.

23 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Just read that luc sonor signed for ayr from as Monaco, a French internationalist.i can remember him vaguely as I was young .was he any good .? 

No, better than Willy Mainge though at least.  A madhouse of signings that season. 

Got many, many wrong over the years but one from the 90s sticks in my mind.

Leigh Palin.

Saw him play in a reserve game at Airdrie on a Friday night as a trialist. He was absolutely sensational. So much so I wanted him signed there and then and in the first team the following day.

We did sign him. Same day that we 'signed' McAvennie. Turned out he was utter shit.

Most recently Niall Keown when we signed him permanently, wouldn't be the only one there. Was like we'd signed the hopeless twin brother of the guy we'd had on loan the season prior. Hasn't played since leaving Thistle in the summer. 

Leigh Hinds is one that I don't think we've had mentioned, looked good against us for Clyde, went to Aberdeen and didn't cut it, then we signed him and he was a waste of a jersey (as were so many that season tbf). Maybe we shouldn't sign English strikers from Aberdeen...

Hard to think of too many the other way beyond Roberts, and McCulloch as mentioned above is also a good shout. I was probably out on both Erskine and Doolan after a year or two, you were only hoping for flashes at first given they'd both come from the juniors, but it didn't look as if either of them would kick on, but thankfully we stuck with them.

On 13/01/2020 at 19:35, Poet of the Macabre said:

Niculae was class on FM 08 tbf. Signed him for Hibs and won the title with him top scorer.

I mean he wasn't rubbish by any means and he did play for Romania at Euro 2008 (despite only scoring ten goals for us - two of which were against Arbroath!), but he was on a huge wage.  I suppose we did get about £100,000 for him from Dinamo so I guess it did kind of work out.

The back page of the record one day was UNITED NATIONS, Stainrod had signed 8 players over night, all from different countries....Well, Gary Patterson was signed from Dundee, but they included US international, Bruce Murray (played one game) and Claudio Valetta who pissed off during his trial and didn't pay his hotel bill. 

Dean Wordsworth, top scorer in the English premiership reserve league with Crystal Palace, Shit at Ayr

http://www.dsargent.co.uk/Historical/Season_1997_98/Morton_H_Aug/pages/Image_03_jpg.htm

The fabled Marco Ciardi

http://www.dsargent.co.uk/Historical/Season_1997_98/Hamilton_H_Nov/pages/Image_03_jpg.htm

Edited by diegomarahenry

Didn't have much expectation when Kilday signed having been punted by Morton, but he has been outstanding. For me our best and most consistent defender. 

Our best and most consistent defender is Holt without a shadow of a doubt.
I'd go with Brownlie tbh. Both Holt and Kilday are very important players for us and players I really like but they have had a few shaky moments this season. I can't think of Brownlie being anything other than consistent this season. No surprise to see he's been snapped up.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd go with Brownlie tbh. Both Holt and Kilday are very important players for us and players I really like but they have had a few shaky moments this season. I can't think of Brownlie being anything other than consistent this season. No surprise to see he's been snapped up.

I agree. I think it would be tough to pick between Brownlie and Holt right now but Holt took a month or two to get up to speed following his return. Brownlie hasnt put a foot wrong all season.

Kilday has done well (as has Mercer, the defence as a whole is better than last season) but he hasnt been as consistent as Brownlie. United's winner last game was Kilday's error, so was Dundee's late leveller at Dens, albeit Dobbie went up the other end and won it again. I dont want to nitpick though. We really are much better at the back than last year, which starts with the keeper of course.