Signings You Were Wrong About

2 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Out of curiosity, how did he scream championship diddy? You’ll struggle to find a Queens fan who didn’t praise him and who wasn’t sad to see him go. 
Kevin Holt had a successful time here in his first spell with us and he’s a local lad so he was obviously regarded highly amongst our supporters. 

Probably because he wasn't exactly raved about. That's not a slight on you guys or him - you had the likes of Dobbie, Dykes & Todd (Take him back, please) so the casual, average Dee didn't know much about Marshall. Then when we signed him the reception was average at best. You lads didn't seem gutted to lose him and then said you'd moved up in quality with Holt. 

Holt was marmite at Dens but was definitely the target of the boo boys. His reputation is slowly being restored as 'wasn't near as bad as was made out' but stuff like that sticks in the mind, so when you guys were saying he's nowhere near as good, we braced (or I did at least) ourselves for the worst.

I think that combined with the fact that our LB was poty last season helped cultivate the meh opinion upon signing.

50 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Just read that luc sonor signed for ayr from as Monaco, a French internationalist.i can remember him vaguely as I was young .was he any good .? 

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

When he signed for Ayr, he was asked why, a player who had played for France at every level of international football had signed for Ayr. He said the first person who spoke to him was Eric Black who played with him at Metz, who asked him, why the f**k have you signed for Ayr? 

He was an absolute class act but got injured early on and didn't play much, would have loved to have seen more of him at Ayr. 

I just noticed he is a technical coach at St Etienne now

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Probably every one of us to a man was wrong about Rickie Lamie. We’d seen him as a young boy getting sent off in a 4-0 win at Airdrie after taking Peter Weatherson’s bait and in between that and signing for Morton had an unremarkable spell at East Stirling.

He started as a pretty underwhelming signing at left back but when moved to the middle became a bit of a cult figure who’s well though of by all and doing well in the Premiership.

I miss him terribly.

Great player and a great guy. Hopefully he’ll come back at some point. 

I had the fear when we signed Gavin Gunning. Last seen picking the ball up on the pitch at Tannadice before joining us but turned out to be a superb signing. Kicked everything that came near him and won just about every header. Also galvanised the team to get a late equaliser in a Renfrewshire derby. A real cult hero - and was only with us for 4 months. 

Michael Rose.

Signed after the promotion to the championship via the play offs after his release from Aberdeen after a meh loan at Forfar. I’m sure he signed on a 2 year deal and was probably a 5/10 if that in his initial season where we were relegated, didn’t help McCall towards the end of the season kept playing him in centre fucking midfield. The title winning season he really came onto a game and I believe we have Higgins to thank for that, was a really decent partnership. Last season he was phenomenal for us and his range of passing for a centre half was brilliant. Deserved his move to Coventry and look out for their results and to see if he plays every week. Their fans seem to think he won’t be there long and will be moving on up soon. For me (possibly biased) a better option than the likes of Findlay, Gallagher and Devlin for Scotland. Best CB that’s been in the Championship the last 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Probably because you lot said he wasn't anywhere near as good as the boo boy favourite Kevin Holt.

Not sure thats quite accurate. 19QOS19 didnt really rate him. Pretty much everyone else did. Though I think the vast majority would rate Holt higher. Holt is a better defender. 

Marshall was a very popular player with us.

1 hour ago, lowland star said:

Derek Young I thought he was finished and he was only here to pick up a wage but my god what a player can’t remember him having a bad game for us

Thats reasomably fair but I think in retrospect the player signed on the same day might be a far better answer.

Its easy to forget now but re-signing Derek Lyle wasnt a very popular move at the time. In the 5 years since he had left us he had a brief spell had the top level with Accies and had done well at Dundee but he had drifted down tbe League and had been playing at Cowdenbeath for a year, barely scoring a goal despite them winning the bottom division and he had a drugs charge hanging over his head. General opinion was not to touch him with a barge pole but Johnston did. He had another five years with us and was one of the best forwards in the division as we finished 4th and narrowly lost out to Rangers in a playoff. He made himself our 3rd top scorer (since knocked down a spot by Dobbie) and was admitted to the Hall of Fame. Still playing and scoring goals for Peterhead at 38! Fair to say he surely achieved more than even he could have hoped for.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure thats quite accurate. 19QOS19 didnt really rate him. Pretty much everyone else did. Though I think the vast majority would rate Holt higher. Holt is a better defender. 

Marshall was a very popular player with us.

This was the response in here at the time (barring a post from yourself) so I think it's understandable why the Dee support on here were underwhelmed.

On 18/06/2019 at 11:20, Dougie Mills said:

He’s not as good as Kevin Holt.

I’ve always regarded him as a bang average lower championship level player - others on here seem to rate him a bit higher tho.

On 18/06/2019 at 11:22, ALOREBURNE said:

I like him. He’s not amazing but he’ll put a shift in. Plenty of energy. 

On 18/06/2019 at 11:28, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Reliable full back but no where near as good as holt.

On 18/06/2019 at 11:51, 19QOS19 said:

Very consistent and easily good enough for this level. Likes to get forward but his crossing isn't always the best. His positioning defensively often leaves a lot to be desired as well. I think his best attributes are his energy levels and his tackling. He won't back out of a challenge. I'm not convinced he could make the step up (but I'm one of the few who didn't rate him as highly as others in our support) so it'll be interesting to see how he does if Dundee go up. If folk among your support didn't like Holt then I expect he'll be in for a hard time from that lot as well.

On 18/06/2019 at 15:49, 19QOS19 said:

I'm certainly in that category. Marshall is a good LB for this division and has served us well, I just think some supporters over-rated him which make my comments about him appear negative. As I've pointed out already, a LB that is found wanting positionally regularly and isn't the best with a final ball won't have me rating him as anything better than good.

They're two areas that can easily be improved with better coaching and as the boy has a helluva engine on him he does have potential to go higher if he can work on them.

On 18/06/2019 at 20:51, Monkey Tennis said:

I like Marshall.

As others have said, a very committed and consistent player.

I'm a bit surprised that the upward move (yes I know it's sideways in terms of division) has come this summer, rather than last one, but hey ho.

Good luck to the guy.  The circular nature of the entire Holt thing is a bit weird though.

41 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This was the response in here at the time (barring a post from yourself) so I think it's understandable why the Dee support on here were underwhelmed.

Maybe. But you have quoted 6 posts, two of which are from Marshall's biggest critic. Fair enough, the Dougie Mills post is similar. Two of the other three are pretty much saying he is good but not as good as Holt and MT is surprised he didnt move upwards 12 months earlier, which I think most of us were to be honest. We thought he was away 12 months earlier and he was unsigned for a good month or so before coming back on the eve of the season. 

Surprised at Byrne, arguably Livingstons best midfielder but turned back into the same anonymous frustrating player he was at the pars. Shame because he has the talent.

For us, I agree, Turner has also disappeared. I heard that he’s been told to sit deeper than he wants to play apparently, which is shit because he doesn’t have the physical attributes to boss the midfield. He needs a free role behind the strikers imo.

Comrie and Martin have been solid pretty much every week. Can’t fault them, was slightly unsure about both. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Michael Rose.

Signed after the promotion to the championship via the play offs after his release from Aberdeen after a meh loan at Forfar. I’m sure he signed on a 2 year deal and was probably a 5/10 if that in his initial season where we were relegated, didn’t help McCall towards the end of the season kept playing him in centre fucking midfield. The title winning season he really came onto a game and I believe we have Higgins to thank for that, was a really decent partnership. Last season he was phenomenal for us and his range of passing for a centre half was brilliant. Deserved his move to Coventry and look out for their results and to see if he plays every week. Their fans seem to think he won’t be there long and will be moving on up soon. For me (possibly biased) a better option than the likes of Findlay, Gallagher and Devlin for Scotland. Best CB that’s been in the Championship the last 2 years. 

They've got a good young side Coventry. Could be on their way back to the Championship.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Comrie and Martin have been solid pretty much every week. Can’t fault them, was slightly unsure about both.

Can't be having Dunfermline youth product Lewis Martin described as a signing...

Of the current Utd team I wasn't massively enthused by us re-signing Butcher but he's been a big part of our success so far this season. I got a bit caught up in the excitement of signing Sow but he's only ever looked slow and a bit shite up to now and Neilson stubbornly sticking with him over Safranko last season was infuriating.

Looking back I remember I was buzzing when we got the cheque book out to beat Hearts and Aberdeen to Lee Miller. He scored against Aberdeen in the first game of the season at Tannadice but by the time he left I honestly could not stand him. Just stop falling down all the time you stupid lanky c**t. Imagine there's also been a cavalcade of foreign players with 'pedigree' who I've got excited about and they've turned out to be pish.

Would have been around my early to mid teens and it was pre social media days so I didn't have a huge opinion on us signing Charlie Miller but he came into a honking Utd team and I was blown away by how good he was. Strong, skilful, eye for a pass and he could finish. Probably my favourite Utd midfielder in the time I've been going to Tannadice.

Edited by coppola

Maybe. But you have quoted 6 posts, two of which are from Marshall's biggest critic. Fair enough, the Dougie Mills post is similar. Two of the other three are pretty much saying he is good but not as good as Holt and MT is surprised he didnt move upwards 12 months earlier, which I think most of us were to be honest. We thought he was away 12 months earlier and he was unsigned for a good month or so before coming back on the eve of the season. 
I wasn't so much a critic as I was someone who didn't think he was as good as most folk thought.

6 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

They've got a good young side Coventry. Could be on their way back to the Championship.

Can't be having Dunfermline youth product Lewis Martin described as a signing...

Seems like one, he was out for ages. You’re right though.

Michael Rose.

I miss Shankland a lot. A LOT.

But having Michael Rose back in this side would take us up a notch and fix our defensive woes.

I mean the man managed to negotiate a sell on fee for us despite him being a free agent. Might be next to nothing but I think that showed he genuinely loved being here and was grateful we took a chance on him. I don’t know how often clubs at our level really get players like that.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I miss Shankland a lot. A LOT.

But having Michael Rose back in this side would take us up a notch and fix our defensive woes.

I mean the man managed to negotiate a sell on fee for us despite him being a free agent. Might be next to nothing but I think that showed he genuinely loved being here and was grateful we took a chance on him. I don’t know how often clubs at our level really get players like that.

Think he was probably the only genuine one from last season who left in the summer, Crawford constantly got pelters so didn't have much reason to show much love towards the club, McDaid couldn't give a toss going by the way he has acted towards us in the two Dundee games and then there's McCall and even Shankland to a certain degree who royally fucked us over.

Think he was probably the only genuine one from last season who left in the summer, Crawford constantly got pelters so didn't have much reason to show much love towards the club, McDaid couldn't give a toss going by the way he has acted towards us in the two Dundee games and then there's McCall and even Shankland to a certain degree who royally fucked us over.

Shankland fucked us over?

I don’t know what happened over the summer with Shankland and why he ended up at Dundee United but it’s still oddly worked out for him which pleases me to a certain extent. I only wanted him to do well and at the time I thought going to Dundee United would halt his progression but I’ll admit I was wrong. Shankland and Rose can do wrong in my eyes. Or Rab for that matter. I was happy to see McDaid leave so I’m not really fussed about him.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not sure why you've quoted me in there.

My comments about Marshall are entirely positive.