Signings You Were Wrong About

Caulker was very very good IMO, I don't really know what more was being expected when he gets mentioned in these tbh. He was playing in a calamity of a side (see his defensive partner Meekings in the hammering from St Johnstone and the youth team defender playing in midfield ahead of them). In the run of games post split that kept us up (and further back to that televised draw with Hearts), he was pivotal. He pretty much won everything in the air in his time here.
There were obviously issues and it fucked us having to let go of him last minute in the window but I think the signing itself worked out very well for us and probably saved us the misery of relegation a year earlier. We were dealing with a manager who in a relegation must win V Hamilton at home, decides unprovoked to bring on a youth player for their senior debut in central defence to see the game out - I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten relegated without the contribution of Caulker.

I thought Caulker was pish- maybe it was the high expectations but he certainly didn’t have the impact you would expect from someone who had recently played premier league football at a prime age. I can’t recall specific games as it was that long ago but I do remember one at McDairmid park where you could tell that there were 1,000 places he’d rather be. I don’t mind players being pish if they’re trying but I can’t stand watching people who don’t try and personally I don’t think he was trying half the time. Put it this way, in my opinion, he wasn’t as good as Jack Hendry for us.

10 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

What did you expect?! You literally can’t have even the slightest of optimism when signing Danny Devine. He’s the worst footballer in the history of the planet Earth.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You've only got yourself to blame for this.

I don't think a single fan of a former club of his would have a positive thing to say about him.

He played in a Thistle team that got top 6, a Caley Thistle team that won the scottish cup and Michael O'Neil had tried to get him to play for Northern Ireland. However, I fully own up to this L.

Probably every one of us to a man was wrong about Rickie Lamie. We’d seen him as a young boy getting sent off in a 4-0 win at Airdrie after taking Peter Weatherson’s bait and in between that and signing for Morton had an unremarkable spell at East Stirling.

He started as a pretty underwhelming signing at left back but when moved to the middle became a bit of a cult figure who’s well though of by all and doing well in the Premiership.

I miss him terribly.

Daniel Harvie

Was signed by McCall just as some kid from Aberdeen who nobody had ever really heard of. His first season with us last year i thought he was terrible most of the time and thought he should have been binned at one point. However this season he has turned into a phenomenal left back who has bags of pace and ability going forward and has also improved his defensive game which was his biggest weakness last season.

He'll be away from us at the end of the season and if he makes the right career moves, i honestly think he can become Scotland's best LB after Robertson and Tierney.

The two for me are John Baird and Derek Young
When queens signed John Baird I thought he would score 30 a season but turned out to be imposter and a real bad egg
Derek Young I thought he was finished and he was only here to pick up a wage but my god what a player can’t remember him having a bad game for us

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

90% of Daziel and Stainrod signings. 

We signed guys who represented their nations at world cups the year they signed for Ayr, we signed a guy who scored against Barcelona in the champions league, Current (then obviously) England under 21 players and a lot more, all sounded fantastic and exciting but were mostly dreadful. 

Probably the pick of the bunch, Tomas Gill, Signed from FC Copenhagen after representing Norway at France 98, played maybe three league games and had his contract ripped up before the end of August, absolute fraud of a player. He just pips Jens Martin Knudsen as the worst let-down. We absolutely pumped Ross County 2-3 at Somerset one night after that bobble hat wearing clown had three absolute clangers. 

After signing Ross Someone and EL Alagui the following year, Shankland fitted the bill of the lower league scudbook player we were going to be landed with, I didn't think he was going to be crap but I had low expectations. I miss him. 

Just read that luc sonor signed for ayr from as Monaco, a French internationalist.i can remember him vaguely as I was young .was he any good .? 

Surprised any Thistle fan was enthused by the signing of Storey. In the 2015/16 season for The Caley, he scored 7 in his first 11 and looked a good, quick, zippy little player. Since those first 11 games, he has really done nothing. Scored 6 in his remaining 26 games for us, and then did f**k all for Aberdeen and has underwhelmed on his return to us.

Anyone who thought top 6 was a guarantee with Miles Storey needed their heads checked, Storey never regularly featured for any top 6 club.

Those first 11 games he was played up front for us and, as you said, looked like a great signing. For some unknown reason he spent the rest of his time out wide and did bugger all. Aberdeen, Partick and now is again have continued to play him out wide which is totally bizarre since it is pretty obvious he isn’t a winger.

5 hours ago, Dele said:

Jordan Marshall and Jordon McGhee - thought they'd both be pretty shit. They've basically been the only ones who aren't shit.

Marsh was always pretty consistent with us. Don’t know why you expected him to be shite. 

12 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Marsh was always pretty consistent with us. Don’t know why you expected him to be shite. 

Probably because you lot said he wasn't anywhere near as good as the boo boy favourite Kevin Holt.

Marshall just screamed Championship diddy LB. He's probably our PotY (Or McGhee). He's got so much energy, can beat a man, has a fantastic cross and isn't terrible defensively.

We've had a lot of good LBs over the past decade or so, but Marshall is probably in the top 2 for me (Just behind Matt Lockwood). And he's got strong competition in the aforementioned Holt, our PotY last year Nathan Ralph, Gary Irvine (When he resurrected his Dee career), Eddie Malone and Basque Jon.

22 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

We've had some pretty good LBs over the last few years, and I (and I assume many of my fellow Dees) had no idea who Marshall was, so there was some hesitance there. Rest assured though, he's doing just fine for himself.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Probably because you lot said he wasn't anywhere near as good as the boo boy favourite Kevin Holt.

Marshall just screamed Championship diddy LB. He's probably our PotY (Or McGhee). He's got so much energy, can beat a man, has a fantastic cross and isn't terrible defensively.

We've had a lot of good LBs over the past decade or so, but Marshall is probably in the top 2 for me (Just behind Matt Lockwood). And he's got strong competition in the aforementioned Holt, our PotY last year Nathan Ralph, Gary Irvine (When he resurrected his Dee career), Eddie Malone and Basque Jon.

Out of curiosity, how did he scream championship diddy? You’ll struggle to find a Queens fan who didn’t praise him and who wasn’t sad to see him go. 
Kevin Holt had a successful time here in his first spell with us and he’s a local lad so he was obviously regarded highly amongst our supporters. 

39 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Just read that luc sonor signed for ayr from as Monaco, a French internationalist.i can remember him vaguely as I was young .was he any good .? 

When he signed for Ayr, he was asked why, a player who had played for France at every level of international football had signed for Ayr. He said the first person who spoke to him was Eric Black who played with him at Metz, who asked him, why the f**k have you signed for Ayr? 

He was an absolute class act but got injured early on and didn't play much, would have loved to have seen more of him at Ayr.