Signings You Were Wrong About

7 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo Kink said:

Surprised any Thistle fan was enthused by the signing of Storey. In the 2015/16 season for The Caley, he scored 7 in his first 11 and looked a good, quick, zippy little player. Since those first 11 games, he has really done nothing. Scored 6 in his remaining 26 games for us, and then did f**k all for Aberdeen and has underwhelmed on his return to us.

Anyone who thought top 6 was a guarantee with Miles Storey needed their heads checked, Storey never regularly featured for any top 6 club.

You could have said at the time m9...

You could have said at the time m9...

Just letting you know now m48

There is a sort of misconception going around that Storey was actually a good player at The Caley. He really wasn’t. He’s never been good for anyone. That signing (similar to Archibald signing Devine also) reeked of a “he’s played a lot of SPL/Premiership games so he must be okay” signing.

Rodney Snjeider - suspected he'd be total pish but didn't expect him to be released only a couple of games into the season after McNamara had him with us on trial for several weeks over the summer.

Paul Dixon (2nd spell) - Thought we'd lucked out on the best possible long termreplacement for Andy Robertson just 6 months after he went to Hull. However, Dixon was shadow of the player who'd left us a couple of years before.

Robbie Neilson - Was quite unenthusiastic when Houston signed our current manager back in late 2011, but he turned out to be a shrewd signing. Kept Keith Watson out of the team for most of the remainder of that campaign and helped fortify a defence that had been leaking goals up to that point, setting us up for an excellent 2nd half of the season.

Marius Nicuale -  Thought he'd stroll it.  He'd played for Dinamo Bucharest and Sporting Lisbon, had been capped numerous times for Romania and the previous season had been player for Mainz in the Bundesliga.  He was technically very good but was slow and unfit for the entire season before heading back to Dinamo.

Coll Donaldson - Thought he was an absolute dud but he's turned into a very good player for us.

Edited by Highland Capital

Easy.  Lawrence Shankland.  I’d last seen him at Morton where he looked about 2 stone overweight and could barely run.  Couldn’t believe we signed him, even on a short term contract.  I was probably wrong, but the jury is still out.

90% of Daziel and Stainrod signings. 

We signed guys who represented their nations at world cups the year they signed for Ayr, we signed a guy who scored against Barcelona in the champions league, Current (then obviously) England under 21 players and a lot more, all sounded fantastic and exciting but were mostly dreadful. 

Probably the pick of the bunch, Tomas Gill, Signed from FC Copenhagen after representing Norway at France 98, played maybe three league games and had his contract ripped up before the end of August, absolute fraud of a player. He just pips Jens Martin Knudsen as the worst let-down. We absolutely pumped Ross County 2-3 at Somerset one night after that bobble hat wearing clown had three absolute clangers. 

After signing Ross Someone and EL Alagui the following year, Shankland fitted the bill of the lower league scudbook player we were going to be landed with, I didn't think he was going to be crap but I had low expectations. I miss him. 

Edited by diegomarahenry
Ross Caldwell !

Thought Joe Chalmers was gonna be horrific when we signed had heard nothing but bad reviews, first few times I seen him he was proving me right then he started putting in some good performances and got his move over the bridge.

Coll Donaldson is similar with the rave reviews we got from Dundee United fans. Turned out to be a good player still has the occasional brain fart.

Miles Storey - everyone is saying he’s always been shite now, but I don’t remember that at all when we signed him. He always looked decent against us playing for ICT, and if I remember correctly, scored a late goal for Aberdeen the week before we signed him. Turns out he was fucking horrific.

Ryan Stevenson - A marquee signing at the time, he couldn’t have given less of a f**k while at Firhill. Total dobber as well.

Reece Cole - Was expecting another Caldwell dud, instead have been pleasantly surprised and has arguably been our best player this season so far.

50 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

90% of Daziel and Stainrod signings. 

We signed guys who represented their nations at world cups the year they signed for Ayr, we signed a guy who scored against Barcelona in the champions league, Current (then obviously) England under 21 players and a lot more, all sounded fantastic and exciting but were mostly dreadful. 

Probably the pick of the bunch, Tomas Gill, Signed from FC Copenhagen after representing Norway at France 98, played maybe three league games and had his contract ripped up before the end of August, absolute fraud of a player. He just pips Jens Martin Knudsen as the worst let-down. We absolutely pumped Ross County 2-3 at Somerset one night after that bobble hat wearing clown had three absolute clangers. 

After signing Ross Someone and EL Alagui the following year, Shankland fitted the bill of the lower league scudbook player we were going to be landed with, I didn't think he was going to be crap but I had low expectations. I miss him. 

Out of curiosity, who were the England U21 signings?

20 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Thought Joe Chalmers was gonna be horrific when we signed had heard nothing but bad reviews, first few times I seen him he was proving me right then he started putting in some good performances and got his move over the bridge.

In the first few months he was playing at left back and looked absolutely horrid, it was only when a player shortage saw him moved into central midfield that he actually looked a player.

Tomas Danilvicious on loan from Arsenal in 2000. Arsenal ffs, when they were unplayable.

This could hadn't kicked a ball before it seems and could barely run. An absolute chance who ended up having a fairly successful career in Serie B and internationally.

Thought Harry Cochrane and Kyle Turner would have been good. Turner looks as if a size 5 football is too heavy for him to do anything with and Cochrane struggled for any sort of form.

Was very underwhelmed by signing of Ryan Dow who has been arguably our best player this season.

Historically, Andy Stirling came to us from Stranraer in 2014 having been named in team of the year the previous season and turned out to be a complete waste of a jersey. Thought Simon Donnelly would have replaced Stevie Crawford's goals when we signed him in 2004. I never expected Danny Devine to be as poor as he has been since signing him last Summer.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Marius Nicuale -  Thought he'd stroll it.  He'd played for Dinamo Bucharest and Sporting Lisbon, had been capped numerous times for Romania and the previous season had been player for Mainz in the Bundesliga.  He was technically very good but was slow and unfit for the entire season before heading back to Dinamo.

Coll Donaldson - Thought he was an absolute dud but he's turned into a very good player for us.

Niculae was class on FM 08 tbf. Signed him for Hibs and won the title with him top scorer.