Signings You Were Wrong About

Going back a few years now but Mark Roberts is probably the one that sticks out for me.  I was completely underwhelmed when we signed him. Not exactly prolific with Killie or Airdrie but he turned out to be absolutely sensational for us. I shudder to think where we would be without his contributions during the Dick Campbell era.

It would have been nice to see him in a decent Thistle team. 

Going back a few years now but Mark Roberts is probably the one that sticks out for me.  I was completely underwhelmed when we signed him. Not exactly prolific with Killie or Airdrie but he turned out to be absolutely sensational for us. I shudder to think where we would be without his contributions during the Dick Campbell era.
It would have been nice to see him in a decent Thistle team. 

Likewise in a decent Ayr team.

Unfortunately he tarnished a lot of the good things he did in an Ayr strip by being an absolutely horrific manager. Although he should never have found himself in that position.

Alan Martin, one of those players who performs heroics playing against you, and came with glowing reports from Sons fans, but turned out to be more scared of crosses than Dracula. Had a bit of a spat with some Queens fans who were giving him a bit of stick which probably confirmed that he wouldn't be staying for another season.  The infuriating thing also was that in the relegation play-offs when  AJ put him back in the team, he turned in some good performances.

I wasn't enthused that we were signing Michael Moffat from Girvan but it proved to be a masterstroke from Reid. 

I thought the return of Ryan Stevenson in 2016 would make a huge difference within winning the league but apart from the odd long range shot, he was useless.  

Edited by THEHonestman1910

Craig Brewster. At the time I could not believe that we were signing someone well in his 30s, even though I had seen him score screamers against us with Forfar and Dundee Utd. How wrong can you be!! He was an absolute revelation. It would be interesting to see Stevie Crawford’s goal stats playing with/without Brewster as his strike partner.

Jorge Cadete - being young and naive at the time, I was expecting him to save us like Scott McDonald did last season. 

Scott McDonald - unlike Cadete, looked like he used to play football professionally despite retiring briefly. Saved us single handily and is a handsome b*****d. 

Plenty signings in season 2015-16 confused me, I thought Florent Sinama Pongolle, Adam Taggart, Riku Riski, Ryan McGowan and Billy McKay would do very well. None of them did at Tannadice, although Riski has done well on his return to Finland. 

But the biggest disappointment, who I thought, or maybe just hoped, would be our saviour was Eiji Kawashima. He seemed a very poor goalkeeper, yet continued to play for Japan, appearing in the 2018 World Cup Finals and was appointed captain for a time. And went on to play in France's Ligue 1 for Metz and Strasbourg.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

I didn't expect much when Sir Ian McCall signed Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine from the Ayrshire Junior leagues. .

I was enthused when Thistle made a blockbuster transfer deadline day double signing a couple of seasons back...Miles Storey and Conor Sammon 🤷‍♂️ 

Plenty signings in season 2015-16 confused me, I thought Florent Sinama Pongolle, Adam Taggart, Riku Riski, Ryan McGowan and Billy McKay would do very well. None of them did at Tannadice

Think thats a bit harsh on Mcgowan. One of the few that gave a f**k when he was with us

24 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Likewise in a decent Ayr team.

Unfortunately he tarnished a lot of the good things he did in an Ayr strip by being an absolutely horrific manager. Although he should never have found himself in that position.

He scored a screamer against us at Somerset on an opening day fixture. I also remember him scoring a belter against Hibs in the cup for you lot. I think it might have been the winning goal actually. 

He had no pace and little physical presence but he more than made up for it with his first touch and quick thinking. He could score goals out of nothing and could be relied upon for tap-ins. A quality striker.

Storey/Sammon - I remember being away for work and seeing the news they had both signed. Think we expected one of the two to sign and i would have been happy with either so was delighted to get both. The top 6 surely beckoned again with a strike force of Doolan, Sammon and Storey. Que relegation and Storey spending two years looking like he had never seen a football before.

Adam Barton - remember reading an article about him while he was still at Preston (I think) about how he didnt really like football. Thought he'd get found out by the pace of the game up here. But ended up playing a big part in us getting top 6. Reverted to type in his second season but still better than expected.

Edited by Jacky1990

47 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The return of Fez. Was absolutely ecstatic, but he was utterly hopeless.

38 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Imagine, on the day we released that Eminem-style video announcing his signing, someone telling you Faiss won't score a single goal from open play.

Ironically, in terms of the current squad at least, Faiss would probably be my answer in the opposite direction. I wasn't massively thrilled when we signed him. He'd looked like a competition winner largely when he played against us for Dunfermline the year before and had done largely nothing at Dundee either. His record screamed one season wonder but he's been very good for us playing as a wide man and more creatively than as a goalscoring threat (he's only scored once). I know we had this debate on another thread a couple of days ago but we're clearly a much worse side when he doesn't play and his corner kick delivery is a real weapon.

Two off the top of my head.

Liam Buchanan. Had been struggling with injuries and fallen down the leagues when we took him up a division to the Championship. Was sensational all round and banged in lot of goals. Tremendous attitude.

Steven Simmons. Got a bad press from fans of previous clubs. First six months he was OK, filled in for a few positions. When Darren Young got injured Hartley moved Simmy to holding midfield and he was a revelation. Was even more influential the following two years in the Championship, strolling through games and giving us a hard edge that we've never quite replaced.

12 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Haven't seen a Morton fan post Dominic Shimmin yet. 

Disappointing.

Hard one to judge as a signing. Came with a good pedigree and was comfortably the best defender in the league for a while. Then decided he couldn't be bothered played football and got mystery injuries. Does that make him a signing who surpassed or fell short? He did prove a lot of tears and snotters from Chisholm and QotS fans when Arbuckle broke his leg so, overall, a positive.

Surprised any Thistle fan was enthused by the signing of Storey. In the 2015/16 season for The Caley, he scored 7 in his first 11 and looked a good, quick, zippy little player. Since those first 11 games, he has really done nothing. Scored 6 in his remaining 26 games for us, and then did f**k all for Aberdeen and has underwhelmed on his return to us.

Anyone who thought top 6 was a guarantee with Miles Storey needed their heads checked, Storey never regularly featured for any top 6 club.