Signings You Were Wrong About

Shamelessly nicked from L1 forum...

Which of your club's signings did you think would be flops but turned out to be amazing? Or did you think someone would hit the ground running but they were a crushing disappointment?

For us this season I had less than no expectations for Aaron Comrie but he's been a solid 7/10 most weeks by all accounts. 

I thought Kyle Turner would be one of the best midfielders in the league but he's made little to no impact.

This season Stephen Kelly has been far better than any of us thought he would be. I didn’t think he’d be poor necessarily but just ok. He’s been brilliant though.

I had higher expectations for Kris Doolan but in hindsight he had 2 poor seasons prior to joining us and he’s already on the wrong side of 30 so maybe we expected too much.@itzdrk did call this one pretty spot on tbf.

Jamie Ness - Thought he'd absolutely stroll this division. Cigars out every week. The second statement is true, but certainly not on the pitch.

Tony Bullock - Thought he'd be a waste of a wage, done really well for us and kept Rab out the team for a month or 2 after he returned from injury.

Scott McDonald - had very little hope of a guy who’d retired over 6 months previously doing anything, but he’s one of the main reasons why Gary Caldwell didn’t get us relegated last season.

Souleymane Coulibaly - thought he’d be the best player in the league based on his exploits with Killie. Ended up only playing twice due to legal troubles, injury, Gary Caldwell being a cock and/or Coulibaly being a cock.

I think every Thistle fan got Niall Keown wrong when he signed permanently. It was like we’d been sent a different player - he’s not had a club since we released him which speaks volumes.

And I also thought Cammy Bell would be a good keeper for us - think I said about as good as we could’ve hoped for - which is unfortunate because, as it happens, he was absolutely fucking pish.

Thought Kenny Miller would stroll it at this level. But apparently missing sitters is just his thing no matter where he’s playing.

I remember Thistle fans being pretty much unanimous in their positivity regarding the signings of both Ziggy Gordon and Miles Storey in recent years. Both were terrible.

Going the other way, I didn’t like it when we signed Scott McDonald last year, but he pretty much saved us by himself, so happy to admit that being totally wrong.

Jordan Marshall and Jordon McGhee - thought they'd both be pretty shit. They've basically been the only ones who aren't shit.

Shaun Byrne - expected a tough tackling, tireless worker. He never moves out a 10 yard radius of where he was when kick off occurred.

26 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Return of the Kano.

Thought he was going to be the league's top scorer.

Boy was I wrong 😂

I'd say he's still been really good, but with the lack of service he's had to play much more of a holding roll. Has been key in building up and assisting on important goals throughout the season.

If you really wanna talk about striker failures at Dens, I felt that Jean Mendy would be the key to our attack last season... yikes.

On the flip side, I feared Jordan Marshall couldn't lace Nathan Ralph's boots at LB. Thankfully Marshall handily put me in my place with that fear, easily as consistent if not more.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Recently: Peter Grant. Had a decent time of it at Falkirk and knew he had struggles down South but presumed, at a time when we were desperate for a centre back, he would arrive and steady the ship but, to be honest, he's probably worse at centreback than Jim McAllister was covering in that position when we were short.

To be honest all our signings are so underwhelming they're hard to fall below expectations.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'd say he's still been really good, but with the lack of service he's had to play much more of a holding roll. Has been key in building up and assisting on important goals throughout the season.

If you really wanna talk about striker failures at Dens, I felt that Jean Mendy would be the key to our attack last season... yikes.

I don't buy the no delivery thing. He always has his back to the goal and again (broken record), the stupid tippy tappy passes that don't need made are infuriating. He's getting slightly better in the air which is nice but just feel bang/buck he has been subpar.

Mendy though, I remember watching him in his first game and thinking he had broke the post with a thunder of a shot at goal and that was about all he did for the rest of his tenure.

Poor guy had to put up with McCann's English only rule too which seemed a bit unnecessary. Way to make someone feel welcome.

Steven Caulker - Thought he would absolutely stroll it, and for the first couple of games he did. Then he spent the rest of his time wandering around not giving a single f**k.

El Bakhtaoui - Probably the most frustrating player I’ve ever had to watch. Scored a couple of rakers which lead him to just shoot every time he got the ball no matter where he was on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I don't buy the no delivery thing. He always has his back to the goal and again (broken record), the stupid tippy tappy passes that don't need made are infuriating. He's getting slightly better in the air which is nice but just feel bang/buck he has been subpar.

Mendy though, I remember watching him in his first game and thinking he had broke the post with a thunder of a shot at goal and that was about all he did for the rest of his tenure.

Poor guy had to put up with McCann's English only rule too which seemed a bit unnecessary. Way to make someone feel welcome.

In the first league game, I thought Mendy looked like he could be a bit of a nuisance with his pace in behind. Caulker spent the whole game just punting the ball over the top and whilst we were dreadful that season, it maybe was a bit of a fluke that we lost the first game.

After that though he spent his rest of his time on the pitch with his back to goal on the half way line. I know we've had some poor business over the years but tactically, we've been absolutely appalling at getting the best out of players for years.

2 minutes ago, Crawford said:

His back's at the goal because nobody is getting the ball up to him, and he has to turn around and basically do it himself. I think he's been an absolutely essential part to our goalscoring, particularly of late. He works better when McDaid's in the team, so hopefully that'll allow him to take chances more than having to create them. I think he's done all he can with a less impressive team around him. McDaid/Dorrans/whomever is no Stewart/Harkins.

Why McCann implemented that rule despite hiring plenty of mainly French-speakers is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

Steven Caulker - Thought he would absolutely stroll it, and for the first couple of games he did. Then he spent the rest of his time wandering around not giving a single f**k.

El Bakhtaoui - Probably the most frustrating player I’ve ever had to watch. Scored a couple of rakers which lead him to just shoot every time he got the ball no matter where he was on the pitch.

Caulker was very very good IMO, I don't really know what more was being expected when he gets mentioned in these tbh. He was playing in a calamity of a side (see his defensive partner Meekings in the hammering from St Johnstone and the youth team defender playing in midfield ahead of them). In the run of games post split that kept us up (and further back to that televised draw with Hearts), he was pivotal. He pretty much won everything in the air in his time here.

There were obviously issues and it fucked us having to let go of him last minute in the window but I think the signing itself worked out very well for us and probably saved us the misery of relegation a year earlier. We were dealing with a manager who in a relegation must win V Hamilton at home, decides unprovoked to bring on a youth player for their senior debut in central defence to see the game out - I'm pretty sure we'd have gotten relegated without the contribution of Caulker.

A few, but the biggest mistake on my part was Dobbie. I was incredibly underwhelmed when McCall brought in what I thought was an over-weight has-been. I certainly didn't think he'd become my favourite ever QoS player.