Worst interview experiences

Stellaboz

I had a similar experience a good few years back. It was selling hoovers. Went to go the toilet in the hotel the interview was held, came out the loo and went right to the bar. Another one, I went for an interview to go round doors selling mobile phone contracts. Pretty much offered the job there and then, so off I went, chapped my first door, got told to f**k off, at that point it started to chuck it down with rain. The first door I knocked was also the last. f**k that.
Had similar as a student. 

Selling gas and electric on a commission only basis - and they got away with it by classing you as self-employed.

Fucking soul-destroying is an understatement.

The whole set-up was a recruitment pyramid - the only way you could make any real money was to recruit other people to be part of your team.

What's sad is they advertised the positions as a trainee management position. Utter bunch of fraudsters preying on desperate people.

Shadowed one of their big sellers - after the first person let us in I could see this wasn't for me - some of the most underhand lying sales techniques I ever seen. He wasn't happy when I stopped him in mid tracks finalising the sale - told him I was going as I did not want to work for a bunch of chancers. If looks could kill!!

Could have be worse though - could have been working for Penicuik Windows!!

3 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Can’t buy on the first run round! Or is that a “local rule”?

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm sure I have a set in the house where that's in the rules, but apparently it is not a rule in the recent editions.

I recall that you had to roll one die at a time, thus you could incur 2 penalties per go.

I assume folk got fed up with this and rolled both dice together to make the game last.

Just now, mathematics said:

Mrs Mathematics bought the “Cheaters Edition” tomolay over the festive period.

i was not impressed.

Isn't that just being the banker in the normal one?

Err, because that's what everyone else in my family does, but definitely not me.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Isn't that just being the banker in the normal one?

Err, because that's what everyone else in my family does, but definitely not me.

It’s got all these extra cheat cards where you can get shit by performing a cheat which is on the card. Arseholes trying to cash in on fucking up a perfectly good game.

Surely the correct answer to these fucked-up interview questions about Monopoly and such is, "who cares? I'm here for the job interview for <position title>. Am I in the wrong building?"

Any company expecting a proper answer is for the watching, and would probably have you molesting bunnies for their demented pleasure.

11 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

OK, that makes more sense. Still don't know the fucking answer though.

From the first roll, you could achieve an 8 by rolling a two and a six, or a six and a two. So you have two “successes”. You work out the probability by diving the number of successes by the total number of possible outcomes.

2 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Surely the correct answer to these fucked-up interview questions about Monopoly and such is, "who cares? I'm here for the job interview for <position title>. Am I in the wrong building?"

Any company expecting a proper answer is for the watching, and would probably have you molesting bunnies for their demented pleasure.

Or maybe some companies need to know how fast you think on your feet, whether you can do basic probability, and how well you can articulate mathematics and statistics.

From the first roll, you could achieve an 8 by rolling a two and a six, or a six and a two. So you have two “successes”. You work out the probability by diving the number of successes by the total number of possible outcomes.

So is it 3 in 11?

2 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Or maybe some companies need to know how fast you think on your feet, whether you can do basic probability, and how well you can articulate mathematics and statistics.

That would make the exercise pertinent, and your complaint irrelevant. It'd be like me complaining about being asked to demonstrate my abilities with a broom.

I don't think you've quite grasped the idea behind this thread.

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Went for an interview with CR Smith (is that the ones that do Lorimer Windows?). Anyway, there's a group of us being talked at by this woman who's telling us about the job selling double glazing. The day doesn't start until about mid-day when you go into the office to do phone calls and get leads etc. You hit the road about 3pm and start making your calls and the reason for the late start is you're expected to stay out as long as it takes to get the sale.

She then described how one of her top, top guys did a great job recently. He'd arrived at this retired couple's house about 7pm and whilst the normal call lasts about two hours, he didn't leave their house until gone midnight - but he got the order and a cheque.

And I thought to myself - "That poor old couple pressurised by some sales c**t for five hours until after midnight"

Then I thought - "That poor sales c**t that's under so much pressure he has to desperately try to get a sale like that"

I got up and just said, "This isn't for me" as I walked out.  She looked absolutely gobsmacked that I was turning down such a great opportunity.

That might have genuinely been my parents! They had an experience like this a few years ago.

My interview for Burger King consisted of going in and asking the manageress if I could apply for a job, as a mate of mine worked there and said they were hiring. She gave me an interview right there and then and essentially asked me if I could do weekends and the odd evening shift during the week around college. It lasted about ten seconds and then I had my first shift three days later :lol:
She was a great boss. I met most of the folk that I now consider my close friends (and my wife) through working there.

I had a similar interview for McDonald’s at 16.
Got asked if I would be okay cleaning the toilets, if I could work one day of the weekend and at least 2 nights.

Was offered the job that night.

I do loads of interviewing at work, loads. Like at least a couple of times a month. 

I always look at it as a two way thing, it's as much a chance for the candidates to get a feel for us and our department as it is for us to see if they are a fit - and I tell them as much. You get so much more out of a candidate if you treat them with respect, ask appropriate, relevant questions that aren't meant to trip them up and spend a bit of time at the start to learn a bit about them and not just restrict it to their professional history. A really good interview should be more like a conversation than a question and answer session. 

Our success rate (I.e. folk we appoint who aren't bams) is pretty good, but theres nothing foolproof. I've had folk borderline at interview who we have given a chance who have been excellent colleagues. Equally folk who smash it just dont end up doing as well as you expect sometimes. 

The only bad ones are the weirdly common ones which end with the candidate saying "is there any reason you cant give me the job"? or words to that effect. It puts me right off. I think folk must be told to say that. My advice would be not to ask that. Invariably we say something like "well we have other folk to see so I dont know the respective performances until after" which is a) completely true and b) should be bleeding obvious.