Worst interview experiences

Stellaboz

Just now, throbber said:

Nobody at my work asked me if I was a sex offender but they still thought nothing of dumping a 14 year old on to me to entertain for a couple of days when he was on work experience. I could have ended up violating terms of my parole through no fault of my own.

If the 14yo was within 50ft of you then I'm afraid you did violate the terms of your parole.....

Go directly to jail, do not collect £200, Throbber.

I once had 2 job interviews on the same day and managed to get both jobs mixed up when I went for the first interview.

Interviewer: "Tell me what you know about the role."
Me: "Speaks about a job that i'm being interviewed later that day."
Interviewer: "Nope that's not the job at all."

Very old P&Bers will remember the meltdown that an Airdrie fan had on a similar thread to this when he confidently suggested that putting MENSA membership on your CV would help you get jobs and would open doors.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

I once had 2 job interviews on the same day and managed to get both jobs mixed up when I went for the first interview.

Was it good practice for the second one?

About 15 years ago I made the final interview stage for an apprenticeship at Hunterston B, after passing a skills test that whittled around 100 applicants down to about a dozen, and was doing brilliantly until I was asked the question: "What is electricity?"

I'd love to hear my answer back to find out just what absolute shite I came up with. I spent about a minute cobbling together an answer before one of the interviewers said "good try. but it's actually..." while I kept repeating "well that's you fucked it" over and over again in my head. Got through a couple of other questions before the final one, said by the same guy with a helping smile, "so then, what is electricity?"

It was at this point I wanted my mummy.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

At least you got a bit pf practice for the second one.

ETA: Up yours @nsr

Edited by Jacksgranda

52 minutes ago, Slacker said:

About 15 years ago I made the final interview stage for an apprenticeship at Hunterston B, after passing a skills test that whittled around 100 applicants down to about a dozen, and was doing brilliantly until I was asked the question: "What is electricity?"

I'd love to hear my answer back to find out just what absolute shite I came up with. I spent about a minute cobbling together an answer before one of the interviewers said "good try. but it's actually..." while I kept repeating "well that's you fucked it" over and over again in my head. Got through a couple of other questions before the final one, said by the same guy with a helping smile, "so then, what is electricity?"

So what is electricity?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Very old P&Bers will remember the meltdown that an Airdrie fan had on a similar thread to this when he confidently suggested that putting MENSA membership on your CV would help you get jobs and would open doors.

Possibly before my time as I can't remember it, but this cartoon came straight to mind when I read that.

midvale.png

I got to final stages for a graduate position with Scottish water 3 years ago. To get as far as interview stage I had to:

1 a Fill out the application form which included submitting cv, covering letter and 500 words or less as to why. I would fit the role and why I wanted to work for the company.

2 - Do a 45 minute long interview speaking to a webcam at home and feeling like a twat

3 - Do various numeracy, literary competency tests and situational judgement tests that took maybe 2-3 hours

I was then selected for the final stage of the process which took place at a Hilton at 9 am which involved:

A one hour group exercise when you need to work together to establish the order in which you would empty items of a sinking yacht whilst HR wankers sat around us taking notes.

A one hour long probing interview carried out by 1 HR and 1 person who you could potentially be working under.

A data analysis test when you have an hour to review various tenders for a project and choose the one you think is best to submit to your boss.

A ten minute presentation about what you would bring to the role.

Another 25+ minute interview when they asked the most knobbish questions imaginable.

Was 1430 by the time I got out of there without having any lunch and I received a generic email 2 weeks later saying thanks but no thanks.

For the job I’m at currently I met my now boss at the Burger King next to the Dakota in South Queensferry after work one day and got offered the job the next day.

I went for an interview with a shipping company as a trainee engineering officer when I was about to leave school, and was asked which was more efficient, steam or diesel. Thought it must be a trick question so said steam.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Airdrie fans can’t be MENSA members, it’s the ultimate oxymoron.

Just leave out Airdrie on the CV.

IrALlKu.gif

Edit - just thinking the man in the gif probably wouldn't have Airdrie on the CV either.

Edited by GiGi

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I got to final stages for a graduate position with Scottish water 3 years ago. To get as far as interview stage I had to:

1 a Fill out the application form which included submitting cv, covering letter and 500 words or less as to why. I would fit the role and why I wanted to work for the company.

2 - Do a 45 minute long interview speaking to a webcam at home and feeling like a twat

3 - Do various numeracy, literary competency tests and situational judgement tests that took maybe 2-3 hours

I was then selected for the final stage of the process which took place at a Hilton at 9 am which involved:

A one hour group exercise when you need to work together to establish the order in which you would empty items of a sinking yacht whilst HR wankers sat around us taking notes.

A one hour long probing interview carried out by 1 HR and 1 person who you could potentially be working under.

A data analysis test when you have an hour to review various tenders for a project and choose the one you think is best to submit to your boss.

Another 25+ minute interview when they asked the most knobbish questions imaginable.

Was 1430 by the time I got out of there without having any lunch and I received a generic email 2 weeks later saying thanks but no thanks.

For the job I’m at currently I met my now at boss at the Burger King next to the Dakota in South Queensferry after work one day and got offered the job the next day.

It sounds like Scottish Water has a more robust interview process that Burger King.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

That definitely rings a bell

2 hours ago, throbber said:

For the job I’m at currently I met my now at boss at the Burger King next to the Dakota in South Queensferry after work one day and got offered the job the next day.

Sure it wasn't the Adult Entertainment industry?