Worst interview experiences

Stellaboz

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Aye, Koreans all fire a picture onto job applications/cvs too. It's the norm there.

Mind you, Koreans are the most image-obsessed and shallow human beings in the world, so I'd expect it of them.

It's quite obviously a ropey idea.

But do they not all look the same anyway...?

Kirby Hoovers wasn't my worst interview experience, just fucking bizarre. My worst was when i applied for an Admin job at University of Abertay around 1998. I'd been a student there, but largely spent my time getting pished on grant money and becoming fairly good at pool. Our HND Computing intake had one particularly annoying guy in it. He was OK in small doses, but seriously irritating in all other respects. Towards the end of our last term he inexplicably trusted a classmate with his system access password, which of course was relentlessly abused. Everyone took turns at "borrowing" it to get up to all sort of nefarious shite, including, eventually, me. Of course IT quickly realised something was up when loads of dodgy shit started getting emailed to this guy without his knowledge, and one evening when "he" (ie me) was logged on they traced the machine being used and I was caught logged into his account. I got a complete, and deserved cunting from an extremely angry Professor who was Head of Department, and was lucky not to get binned from the course there and then. 

Fast forward a few years, and to said job application. I was invited for interview. To my absolute horror, one of the panel was the same Professor. I couldn't believe the old c**t hadn't retired tbh. Not surprisingly he remembered me, and without directly mentioning what I'd done, asked me all sorts of stuff about confidentiality, where I stood on what should happen to folk stealing passwords etc. I knew as soon as a I saw him I wasn't getting the job, so spent the last few mins just talking complete shite. Understandably I completely rubbered the typing test and went for a pint. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I have sat with an employer who was going through cvs for bar work and he discarded everything with a Torry or Tillydrone postcode without looking at anything else. 

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais strategy - randomly separate CVs into two piles and then dump one pile in the rubbish bin on the basis they are unlucky and it's not good to hire unlucky people.  Can't argue with some of Gervais's management ideas. 

56 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais strategy - randomly separate CVs into two piles and then dump one pile in the rubbish bin on the basis they are unlucky and it's not good to hire unlucky people.  Can't argue with some of Gervais's management ideas. 

Especially since he pinched the idea from the Top Tips section of Viz. 

14 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

They've to be "sub fusc" - for men that's a white shirt, white bow-tie, black jacket, black breeks, black socks, black shoes, the robe of your current academic status and carrying (but not wearing) your academic hat.  Women can wear the same, or if they choose they can have a black skirt and a black ribbon in place of the bow-tie.  Ordained clergy can wear clerical robes and members of the armed forces can wear their dress uniforms.  This is for matriculation, examination (including viva) and graduation, and in some of the colleges for ceremonial dinners and the like.  It's for all levels, not just doctoral students.  It is a load of utter nonsense, and part of the glowing aura of bullshit these places build their brand on. 

Down at a conference at Cambridge I got an invite to a rather fancy meal in one of the halls, the type where you'd think you were dining at Hogwarts.  They pretty much acted as if it was a huge honour that I should be allowed to such a thing that students would "die for".  So you can imagine them being somewhat disgruntled when I turned them down for pie and chips at the nearby pub showing the Liverpool v Everton game with a mate.  Just don't buy into that sort of pretentious sh*te at all.

6 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Mind you, Koreans are the most image-obsessed and shallow human beings in the world..

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

*inhales sharply through teeth*

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

FFS

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

On the being discriminated based on your name I have heard a few things anecdotally and I’m sure I even saw a study at some point where they’d tracked the positive response rate of the same C.Vs being sent out with different names on them and it showed very badly for employers. Having a classic white *male* British name was a huge advantage.

Unconscious bias. Even female recruiters will be more likely to hire a man than a woman given the same qualifications and experience.

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Strange how countries differ. In Germany if you don't put a picture of yourself, they think you're hiding something and OFTW.

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Aye, Koreans all fire a picture onto job applications/cvs too. It's the norm there.

Mind you, Koreans are the most image-obsessed and shallow human beings in the world, so I'd expect it of them.

It's quite obviously a ropey idea.

Same in Switzerland. Expect a photo, your date of birth, your entire work history and certification for any and every qualification you put on your CV. I see the occasional application for the place I work and they are generally a minimum of 4/5 pages.

19 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

I went for an interview for a call centre job through an agency once when I was still on the piss. Got rejected cos I've got a breach of the peace on my criminal record and the guy was a bit of a knob so I pished all over the lift on the way out.

Went to another call centre one around the same time and the guy looked at my CV and basically told me I wasn't what they were looking for. So I shat in the lift on the way out. 

Have you ever done a shite on your living room floor?

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

A photo on a CV is the quickest way of binning 50% of the applicants in about 10 seconds tbf.

A staggeringly high number of graduates seem to be doing this just now.  One guy I spoke to recently seemed to think that it makes him become a real person rather than a name on a piece of paper.  I didn't have the heart to say they'd just see him as a bit of a dick on what's now a piece of scrunched up paper.  Also that his photo made him look like a grinning clown with one of those annoying and clearly fake grins.

I blame LinkedIn.