Worst interview experiences

Stellaboz

Went for an 'interview' at Sports Direct in Ayr when I was about 17. Absolute shambles, they told all applicants (roughly 20 or so) to stand in the trainers section and wait to be called. Was standing there for 45 mins until I was taken into a room, with about 5 other candidates, and given a minute to explain why I wanted a job. The woman conducting the interview grunted when my minute was up and moved onto the next person. Was informed that we should 'assume we have been unsuccessful unless we hear any different'.

Long live Mike Ashley.

As the senior programmer at a fairly small software company I was often asked to do the technical side of interviews while the boss' father-in-law ( a very senior former director of Greggs) did the HR side. I took an unreasonable amount of joy in "welcoming" bubbly and enthusiastic young graduates with a deadpan, emotionless demeanour that would make a serial killer look friendly.

One of them to whom we actually gave a job was mildly astonished to find out I wasn't actually like that every day.

Guest Moomintroll

Given that I currently have the death mark on me in my company due to the henious crime of having had some mental health issues, i am sure I will become a regular contributor to this thread in the coming months.

21 hours ago, Futureboy said:

Not so much the worst, but definitely the strangest I have experienced happened late last year.

Turned up for the interview. The panel consisted of the person I would replace and a Director. The person I was to replace basically stated that I was much more qualified and experienced than they were, so wouldn't ask me anything technical. The Director asked a few generic interview questions, then took me on a two hour tour of the facility. This included introducing me to numerous members as the new man in post. HR came to see me as I left to say they would email me the paperwork and get my reference details and work out a start date.

I never heard from them again. A chaser email I sent was just ignored. 

Bizarre.

Kind of relevant, when I was on jobseekers, I had to go to an interview for a kids sports type of company. I was genuinely interested and it combined my two main skills so I was happy to have passed the interview and did a trial shift. It went well but as it was a government backed scheme, there was about 10 others who did the same. He never got back to me and it turned out he used all ten of us for a free shift - he had no intention of hiring anyone. 

The company owner went on Dragon’s Den and failed spectacularly. Pleasing.

I knew an engineer when I temped in IBM who went for an interview in Polaroid and referred to them as Kodak throughout the process; he then told the tale of arriving for an interview where the chair of the panel put out his hand out to welcome him and he handed over his raincoat and umbrella thinking he was a flunky- needless to say he was unsuccessful [emoji23]

I got a call from an agency once with a job in Stirling. "Can you drive?" Well, if I could drive I would have mentioned this on my CV which you say you're looking at, wouldn't I?

Why would they automatically assume you would put that information on a cv? Strange thing for you to get angry about.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why would anyone do that unless it's a job which requires a driving license?

30+ years since i put a CV together - seemed like the thing to do.  I suppose my thinking was, if you're sending it out to any number of local employers, you try and cover every base.

11 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Thought everyone put their driving status on a CV?  

I never have done as it's not even slightly relevant to my job. I haven't driven to my current office in about a year.

6 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

30+ years since i put a CV together - seemed like the thing to do.  I suppose my thinking was, if you're sending it out to any number of local employers, you try and cover every base.

Nowadays you're better tailoring CV to the job spec or you won't get far for anything above entry level.

I’ll leave that as a surprise, like you when you dunk your testicles in your ‘new friends’ mouths whilst they’re asleep.

Nobody at my work asked me if I was a sex offender but they still thought nothing of dumping a 14 year old on to me to entertain for a couple of days when he was on work experience. I could have ended up violating terms of my parole through no fault of my own.