Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

On 24/10/2020 at 13:39, Savage Henry said:

New one from Cut Worms is out.  It’s called Nobody Lives Here Anymore.  Take a touch of John Lennon vocals, a dose of Gene Clark instruments and a handful of Buddy Holly hooks, and you’ve got some toe-tappingly charming fluff, with nary an original note anywhere to be found.  It comes in at well over an hour, though.  Enough of that, Cut Worms. 

I've heard some of their stuff before.  Genuinely thought it was Lennon singing.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I've heard some of their stuff before.  Genuinely thought it was Lennon singing.

Yeah.  His live stuff isn't quite as obvious, but the nods are pretty blatant.  There are more than enough hooks for me to excuse the unoriginality.  

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded the Nation Of Language album off the back of your review as they sounded right up my street. Not disappointed, absolutely cracking album

FYI - new song from Nation of Language out later.

The one and likely only new album for me this year has been The Doves - The Universal Want in September. It didn't disappoint in the slightest: a return to a Lost Souls feel for the album as a whole, without any decline in quality after a decade away from performing.

They were superb at SWG3 last summer and should be even better in the Barrowlands in 2021. 

On 13/11/2020 at 23:56, virginton said:

The one and likely only new album for me this year has been The Doves - The Universal Want in September. It didn't disappoint in the slightest: a return to a Lost Souls feel for the album as a whole, without any decline in quality after a decade away from performing.

They were superb at SWG3 last summer and should be even better in the Barrowlands in 2021. 

Their new single 'Broken Eyes' is sumptuous. 

Edit - Standout tracks on the album are the above mentioned Broken Eyes, Cycle of Hurt and The Universal Want imo.

Edited by TheScarf

I'm listening to Róisín Machine by Róisín Murphy right now.
It has a strong house/dance influence and the individual tracks are alright but it's not exactly breaking new ground. I will have forgotten all about it with an hour or so.

I’d always known about Roisin Murphy but never paid much attention until I saw her give maybe one of the best live performances I’ve ever seen at Homobloc last year. Opened with Simulation and (I think) Narcissus and it was another planet (or I was already on another planet).

Anyway, came in to post that I listened to the new Oneohtrix Point Never album and I don’t know what he’s doing but fair play.

Agreed it's a belter, with the first track, carousels, being one of my favourites

On 14/11/2020 at 18:01, tongue_tied_danny said:

It has a strong house/dance influence and the individual tracks are alright but it's not exactly breaking new ground. I will have forgotten all about it with an hour or so.

Thought the first half was good then got bit bored after that.  Reminded me too much of Moloko who I never liked.

Favourite albums of 2020

Anti Flag - 20/20 Vision
Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
The Dunts - The Dunts
Catholic Action - Celebrated By Strangers
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Fontaines DC - A Hero's Death
DMAs - The Glow
Working Mens Club - WMC
Idles - Ultra Mono
The Chats - High Risk Behavior
The Strokes - The New Abnormal
Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You
Gerry Cinnamon - The Bonny
The Menzingers - From Exile
Laura Jane Grace - Stay Alive.
Been not too bad a year considering......

On 14/11/2020 at 18:01, tongue_tied_danny said:

Incapable is a brilliant song.  The rest, fairly meh.

On 25/10/2020 at 14:56, Boostin' Kev said:

Got Omar S, Theo Parrish, Moodymann, Fiona Apple, SAULT, Jay Electronica and Nubya Garcia still to listen to properly.

I noticed that Rough Trade and also 6 Music album of the year is SAULT (Untitled (Black Is)). 

Don't know much about them but will give the 4 Albums they have released in the last 18 months a listen. 

17 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I'm sorry. I cannot agree with you. For me, on a par with Elbow.

Their singers look similar I'll give you that much.  That's about it.

32 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I noticed that Rough Trade and also 6 Music album of the year is SAULT (Untitled (Black Is)). 

Don't know much about them but will give the 4 Albums they have released in the last 18 months a listen. 

They're all brilliant. Best group there is right now. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev