Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

10 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

All about opinions i suppose, needless to say i disagree with you, only saw them a couple of times live but really enjoyed them!
Been listening to a few of the Glasgow bands, Baby Strange, Heavy Rapids, Rascalton, Dunts etc, and enjoying them all!

Rascalton were another band I saw that year.  Very laddish following.  Lots of Jesus poses.  Put me off right away.

All about opinions i suppose, needless to say i disagree with you, only saw them a couple of times live but really enjoyed them!

Been listening to a few of the Glasgow bands, Baby Strange, Heavy Rapids, Rascalton, Dunts etc, and enjoying them all!

Those bands are very good at creating a “scene” of sorts and promoting from within it. Loads of bands, Rascalton and The Dunts included, have benefitted massively because of it. Johnny Madden and Chris Marshall have become producers in demand for every indie guitar band in Glasgow now, by the sounds of it. Not my thing at all, though.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Another band I hated!  Saw them in support of Ted Leo.  Did nothing for me at all.

Oh really? Saw them twice last year. Loved them.

8 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

Have you listened to The Wants? Three of the Bodega members, and they’re excellent.

Ooh, I have not, but will look them up. Thank you.

Forgive my ignorance of your musical tastes SH,but who exactly do you like? I love Bodega as well but obviously, I'm on a different page from you regarding bands, not that there's anything wrong with that, each to their own and all that?

Another band I hated!  Saw them in support of Ted Leo.  Did nothing for me at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Great soundtrack for the documentary from a few years back "Off The Charts - The Song Poem Story" just released on vinyl for the first time. The film highlights the strange world of song poems where "ordinary" members of the public would send their poems or insane ramblings to tiny record companies who would then employ session musicians to put these words to music off the hoof then press up the results in small runs. 99% rubbish, 1% howling at the moon genius. Contains such gems as "Jimmy Carter Says Yes", Non-Violent Taekwondo Troopers, Blind Man's Penis and this.

29 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Have never really been a fan, but the hype around the new Fontaines D.C. is justified. Really enjoying it on first (and second) listen.

Take one dose of Joy Division, a pinch of Oasis and a handful of the Fall, and you get Fontaine’s D.C.  They’re utterly humourless, and frankly I think the singer is capable of killing a man for singing along, but I like them too.  I really liked their first record, aside from the last Pogues lite song.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

They’re utterly humourless, and frankly I think the singer is capable of killing a man for singing along, 

Sounds like many posters here, i will check them out more.

On 27/07/2020 at 22:17, Jimi Shandrix said:

Great soundtrack for the documentary from a few years back "Off The Charts - The Song Poem Story" just released on vinyl for the first time. The film highlights the strange world of song poems where "ordinary" members of the public would send their poems or insane ramblings to tiny record companies who would then employ session musicians to put these words to music off the hoof then press up the results in small runs. 99% rubbish, 1% howling at the moon genius. Contains such gems as "Jimmy Carter Says Yes", Non-Violent Taekwondo Troopers, Blind Man's Penis and this.

Blind Man"s Penis is an excellent band name.

Doubt they'll get much...erm...exposure on Radio 2.

17 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Shameless plug as I work with him, but the new Fiskur album was released today. Really good. 

Glad this is finally out. Do you know if there will be a physical release? (in shops, I mean)

Edited by Miguel Sanchez