Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

The new Dylan album is fantastic. I don't think there are any weak tracks but Key West is definitely my favourite, it's absolutely stunning. 

The whole thing feels so confident and relaxed. He's looking back on his life and all the culture he loves with completely serenity. 

The new Dylan album is fantastic. I don't think there are any weak tracks but Key West is definitely my favourite, it's absolutely stunning. 
The whole thing feels so confident and relaxed. He's looking back on his life and all the culture he loves with completely serenity. 
It is outstanding. Key West is incredible.

On 20/06/2020 at 15:03, Detournement said:

He complete lost me with his triple albums of standards, and the singles he’s released off this one are probably my least favourite tracks, but there are some great tracks on there, and Key West was my favourite too.

On 15/05/2020 at 11:43, GrahamJags said:

The new Perfume Genius record is excellent.

Yeah, big step forward from anything of his that I've heard before.

On 08/06/2020 at 16:31, Savage Henry said:

Going by their singles so far, the Bad Moves record is going to be just joyous.

It’s terrific. Pop punk at its finest.  And pretty weighty in topic, too.

On 21/06/2020 at 21:38, Yoss said:

The Phoebe Bridgers is as pleasantly dull as you'd expect it to be.

Yup.  Her and that Bright Eyes Bloke are both tedious and quite melodic at the same time. Quite a lot of ego in them. 

Phoebe Bridgers's album is relatively easy to listen to but nothing really stands out, beyond a couple of songs. I think I'll find it difficult to go back to. It's alright though and I guess that's ok?

I've never been a big fan of Haim but both "The Steps" and "Summer Girl" got me quite interested in this album. It's alright, but a higher standard of "alright" than the aforementioned Phoebe Bridgers album. 

On 21/06/2020 at 21:10, Savage Henry said:

He complete lost me with his triple albums of standards, and the singles he’s released off this one are probably my least favourite tracks, but there are some great tracks on there, and Key West was my favourite too.

The trio of Time out of Mind/Love and Theft/Modern Times are my favourite late period Dylan lps. 

I'd love to know how you guys rate the new one against those? I dont trust reviews in mags or papers anymore, prefer to hear from people who know what they're talking about.

13 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

The trio of Time out of Mind/Love and Theft/Modern Times are my favourite late period Dylan lps. 

I'd love to know how you guys rate the new one against those? I dont trust reviews in mags or papers anymore, prefer to hear from people who know what they're talking about.

It’s definitely up there for me.  I think I prefer it to Modern Times, and I’d certainly rank it alongside the other two.  It’s his best for a long time, assuming you’re on board with where his voice is.  It reminds me of late 80s Tom Waits in places, and it’s a return to his narrative songwriting that disappeared for quite a few years.  It’s terrific.

Edited by Savage Henry

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s definitely up there for me.  I think I prefer it to Modern Times, and I’d certainly rank it alongside the other two.  It’s his best for a long time, assuming you’re on board with where his voice is.  It reminds me of late 80s Tom Waits in places, and it’s a return to his narrative songwriting that disappeared for quite a few years.  It’s terrific.

Sold. I like his voice. I need to go into town for work on Thursday so a chance to pop to Fopp and get it.

I love the narrative stuff like Tweedle Dee, Ain't Talkin, Highlands etc.

My list so far. Bound to change over the next 6 months, but can't see TATE moving far from top place:

1. The Airborne Toxic Event - Hollywood Park
  2. Brian Fallon - Local Honey
  3. American Aquarium - Lamentations
  4. 13 Crowes - Solway Star
  5. Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
  6. Will Hoge - Tiny Little Movies
  7. Nathan Gray - Working Title
  8. The Smith Street Band - Don't Waste Your Anger

On 01/07/2020 at 10:53, Nelly78 said:

My list so far. Bound to change over the next 6 months, but can't see TATE moving far from top place:

1. The Airborne Toxic Event - Hollywood Park
  2. Brian Fallon - Local Honey
  3. American Aquarium - Lamentations
  4. 13 Crowes - Solway Star
  5. Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
  6. Will Hoge - Tiny Little Movies
  7. Nathan Gray - Working Title
  8. The Smith Street Band - Don't Waste Your Anger

I have never knowingly listened to any Airborne Toxic Event which is weird considering how utterly perfect Sometime Around Midnight is. I'm giving the new album a spin now and it sounds great. Was shocked to see they have so many albums and no idea how they have managed to pass me by. 

Spanish Love Songs is still my #1 so far but I have really high hopes for the killers based on the singles.