Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I agree, "Dublin City Sky" did sound a bit out of place but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think it improves their chances of longevity if they have more than one string to their bow. Nobody wants another situation like The Strokes. Taken on its own merits "Dublin City Sky" is an absolute beauty IMO. The new track is growing on me. Cracking video as well.

The Strokes just released a belter of an album!

I'll check it out with very low expectations. Everything since the first album has been dreadful.

Not having that. Room on Fire and First Impressions of Earth are very good albums, albeit nowhere near as monumental as Is This It.

Angles is a mess and Comedown Machine is naff but The New Abnormal is probably up there as the 2nd/3rd best album they’ve released.

Songs such as Ode to the nets and Selfless are up there with the best they’ve ever done.

The new Perfume Genius record is excellent. Contender for album of the year. The less said about the new Jason Isbell, the better.

Jason Isbell lost me a while back. I think it’s his sanctimonious online persona as much as anything, but Southeastern was the last record of his I really got into.

Edit: it’s production on this one. The songs are fairly solid (although Isbell by numbers in places), but the production is just ghastly.

38 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Jason Isbell lost me a while back. I think it’s his sanctimonious online persona as much as anything, but Southeastern was the last record of his I really got into.

Edit: it’s production on this one. The songs are fairly solid (although Isbell by numbers in places), but the production is just ghastly.

I liked his last two, but his sanctimoniousness has seeped into his songwriting to the point where it's overwhelming and is horrific on this. Agreed the production isn't great though, doesn't suit the songs at all.

I liked his last two, but his sanctimoniousness has seeped into his songwriting to the point where it's overwhelming and is horrific on this. Agreed the production isn't great though, doesn't suit the songs at all.

I gather his shows are now all sit-down-shut-up-close-the-bar affairs.

New double LP (sigh) from Mourning A Blkstar is like if Bristol was relocated to Alabama.  Gospel meets Massive Attack with a bunch of 2-Tone horns.  Love it, but at over an hour I don’t have the patience nor inclination to listen to all of it in a oner.   

Numero Group label have released some cracking records in the past few years. "Good God" "Planisphere" and "Visible & Invisible Persons Distributed In Space" spring immediately to mind. Their latest release though is maybe my favourite yet. It's called "Whispers Lounge" and it compiles some top notch lounge action from the 70's. I would urge anyone into gonzo private press madness to check it out. Stunning match book packaging as well.

Not technically new, Tony Molina has put all his old band, OVEN’s stuff up on bandcamp to help raise funds for his friend’s cancer treatment.  Recommended if you like early Weezer and 45 second songs.   

Bella Union is a label that have released some of the most insipid pish of recent years but enjoying this. Released next month.

I quite like a lot of the Bella Union roster just now, but agreed that this is great. Looking forward to the record.

Daniel Romano has been releasing new albums on Bandcamp every Wednesday (including a front to back cover of Bob Dylan’s Infidels) and I’ve loved most of them. The guy is crazy talented, and criminally overlooked.

Yeah there's some good stuff on Bella Union.

Anyway, the new Deerhoof album is very good, if you like Deerhoof. (If you don't - and to be fair not many people do - you'll just think what the f**k is this?)

4 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Yeah there's some good stuff on Bella Union.

Anyway, the new Deerhoof album is very good, if you like Deerhoof. (If you don't - and to be fair not many people do - you'll just think what the f**k is this?)

I really like some of Deerhoof's older stuff but thought the last few were a bit meh. Will check it out.