Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Spend the last few days listening to their work and i’ve really enjoyed what i’ve heard so far. Also, by pure chance, they’re playing in Berlin when me and the wife are over there in April so i’ll be able to catch them live as well.

It’s a terrific piece of political expression. Loving it. Possibly a best of the year already.

On a similar-ish note, the new Drive By Truckers isnt quite doing it for me on first play, but the first track and the first single are both terrific.

Edit: trying to find a way to get to the Algiers Glasgow show tomorrow.

Green Day's new album released this morning. Im very much a fan of the new garage sound they've gone for...it's not what you'd expect from a Green Day album but very good and VERY catchy. Looking forward to hearing it live in the summer.

11 hours ago, ListerRRFC said:

Spanish Love Songs have just released their new album and I think it's going to take something special to knock that off top spot for my album of the year.

Its brilliant. They're supporting the Menzingers at QMU on Tuesday - that's going to be fucking insane. 

On 07/02/2020 at 09:28, ListerRRFC said:

Spanish Love Songs have just released their new album and I think it's going to take something special to knock that off top spot for my album of the year.

This sub-forum is such a great place for finding out about new music. What an album. Two support acts can be a bit wearying sometimes but I'll be down at QMU early for these guys on Tuesday.

Just finished Tame Impala’s new album (released at midnight). Going to give it another few listens before forming a solid opinion, but first impressions are that it’s definitely a good album, a wee bit different, a bit more inventive and narrative-driven than Currents but something just feels a bit off. Maybe because it is really different from anything Parker has done it’ll take a while to get really in to it.

At this point I think it’s definitely better than the first album, but would hold Currents and Lonerism in higher regard.

I really like Breathe Deeper and One More Year. Those tunes plus the singles Borderline and Posthumous Forgiveness really stand out for me.

Early reviews are mostly from North American outlets, which indicate that the album is average at best, but I usually ignore American reviews as they tend to be pretty dismissive to anything that isn’t their own or U2. Weirdos.

9 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Just finished Tame Impala’s new album (released at midnight). Going to give it another few listens before forming a solid opinion, but first impressions are that it’s definitely a good album, a wee bit different, a bit more inventive and narrative-driven than Currents but something just feels a bit off. Maybe because it is really different from anything Parker has done it’ll take a while to get really in to it.

At this point I think it’s definitely better than the first album, but would hold Currents and Lonerism in higher regard.

I really like Breathe Deeper and One More Year. Those tunes plus the singles Borderline and Posthumous Forgiveness really stand out for me.

Early reviews are mostly from North American outlets, which indicate that the album is average at best, but I usually ignore American reviews as they tend to be pretty dismissive to anything that isn’t their own or U2. Weirdos.

Just started listening to it now. Had no idea the album version of Borderline was going to be different to the single but I think I like it better than the first version already. 

Just started listening to it now. Had no idea the album version of Borderline was going to be different to the single but I think I like it better than the first version already. 

I think I prefer the single, but the remix is interesting all the same.

Another few listens in to it. It’s definitely a very good album. Still think Currents and Lonerism, especially the latter, are better.