Albums of 2020

Ira Gaines

Obviously not expecting lists this early but like last year, throwing in albums you've been listening to and such early doors can't hurt.

Giving Poppy's new album, "I Disagree", a listen and absolutely loving it. If I were to be putting a top 10 together, I could imagine this being on there for a considerable amount of time.

On 10/01/2020 at 15:49, DAFC. said:

Looking forward to The Slow Rush by Tame Impala. Based on their singles so far, this has the potential to be their best work yet.

It Might Be Time is probably my favourite out of all the singles, the sound of the drums and the way they're mixed on the choruses is incredible. 

Edited by Ocular Patdown Required

On 11/01/2020 at 23:26, Yoss said:

The Big Moon's is out already. I wasn't particularly whelmed on first listen.

It's a competent and listenable body of work, but perhaps a wee bit too poppy and production too clean for me. I like it but I don't think I'll come to love it. Side project Our Girl are more interesting now.

Early contender for album of the year from Algiers. Absolutely outstanding record.

They’re pally with my mate Lee Bains (new record from the Glory Fires on its way), so I’ll need to check them out.

The new one from The Big Moon is much poppier than their last record, and I think it’s smashing, clever indie pop. I loved the Goat Girl record from a year or two back, and this is similar.

21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They’re pally with my mate Lee Bains (new record from the Glory Fires on its way), so I’ll need to check them out.

Is it due out this year? Absolutely adore that band.

Algiers have the same politically-charged energy as the Glory Fires (essentially not being all Bono about it). It's fucking great.

Is it due out this year? Absolutely adore that band.

Algiers have the same politically-charged energy as the Glory Fires (essentially not being all Bono about it). It's fucking great.

Recorded 12 new tracks last month, but I don’t know how long the mastering takes. I’d imagine they’ll be rolling out the new stuff on their spring tour and release the record nearer the end of the year.

Glory Fires are the best live band on the planet.

Edit: got this Algiers record on the go and I’m hearing a bit of Lee Bains in the delivery. I’m very much into this. The Mourning A Blackstar record from last year is very much in mind for me too. I loved that.

19 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Recorded 12 new tracks last month, but I don’t know how long the mastering takes. I’d imagine they’ll be rolling out the new stuff on their spring tour and release the record nearer the end of the year.

Glory Fires are the best live band on the planet.

Edit: got this Algiers record on the go and I’m hearing a bit of Lee Bains in the delivery. I’m very much into this. The Mourning A Blackstar record from last year is very much in mind for me too. I loved that.

That'll do me. Hopefully it's not too long before they tour over here again.

Will need to give that Blackstar record a listen, if that's the case.

Early contender for album of the year from Algiers. Absolutely outstanding record.

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Spend the last few days listening to their work and i’ve really enjoyed what i’ve heard so far. Also, by pure chance, they’re playing in Berlin when me and the wife are over there in April so i’ll be able to catch them live as well.

• 2 weeks later...