Ireland

Crùbag

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Almost 25% of the electorate of an EU state voting for a former terrorist organisation in a national election should draw negative comment from the international media but won't. Guess it's just more of the swing towards cranky populism that is happening across much of the western world.

ANC and Likud don't get much stick. The DUP have pretty unsavoury connections too.

Edited by welshbairn

Watched a bit on VPN, seems there's no counting till tomorrow and the exit poll doesn't reflect the spread of seats, ie if the Sinn Fein vote came mainly from mad North Dubliners they won't be getting as many seats as the poll suggests. They only got about 12% from the eld feckers. Bit boring, I was hoping for a night of drama as the results came in.
Only first preference votes, it's an stv system so poll won't reflect 2nd preference votes etc

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Watched a bit on VPN, seems there's no counting till tomorrow and the exit poll doesn't reflect the spread of seats, ie if the Sinn Fein vote came mainly from mad North Dubliners they won't be getting as many seats as the poll suggests. They only got about 12% from the eld feckers. Bit boring, I was hoping for a night of drama as the results came in.

Only first preference votes, it's an stv system so poll won't reflect 2nd preference votes etc

Someone said they had counted second preference votes too in the exit poll but for some reason can't release the numbers till later on.

Smaller parties did well in Dublin, FF particularly badly.

Regions
Dublin
Fianna Fáil: 14.0%
Fine Gael: 21.1%
Sinn Féin: 22.3%
Green Party: 12.9%
Labour Party: 8.1%
Social Democrats: 6.1%
Solidarity-People Before Profit: 7.0%
Aontú: 1.2%
Other Parties: 1.7%
Independents: 5.6%

Almost 25% of the electorate of an EU state voting for a former terrorist organisation in a national election should draw negative comment from the international media but won't. Guess it's just more of the swing towards cranky populism that is happening across much of the western world.

[emoji23]

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Tbh, i think the West of Scotland League is a much bigger story.

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
But your assuming all the fence sitters are unionists?

Heh JD, can you come back on this. I'm genuinely not trying to be pugnacious but I'm not sure how I'm massively misreading your original post?

It's not my post you need to start from.

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So Mandela and the ANC, and all those who voted for them, should have been lambasted by the international media?

Interesting view; and by “interesting” I mean “not very well thought out”.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So Mandela and the ANC, and all those who voted for them, should have been lambasted by the international media?

Interesting view; and by “interesting” I mean “not very well thought out”.

Neither is your analogy between South Africa and the RoI

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Neither is your analogy between South Africa and the RoI

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Last time I checked South Africa isn't an EU state.

I saw the reference to the EU and dismissed it for the red herring that it was.

The principle still stands.  As a wise man once said “We make peace with our enemies”.  Following a period of reconciliation agreed by those involved it is quite legitimate for people to vote for SF.  

Unless, of course, you want to go back to the way things were.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I saw the reference to the EU and dismissed it for the red herring that it was.

The principle still stands.  As a wise man once said “We make peace with our enemies”.  Following a period of reconciliation agreed by those involved it is quite legitimate for people to vote for SF.  

Unless, of course, you want to go back to the way things were.

I've never said it wasn't. 

The only people who want to do that are republicans.

11 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I've never said it wasn't. 

The only people who want to do that are republicans.

Do you regard a debate on a (re)united Ireland a retrograde step, or do you think that it’s a legitimate discussion to be having?