Ireland

Crùbag

• 1 month later...

Interesting coverage on the Shankill from ITV tonight. A loyalist woman claiming that “no other group in society is targeted and labelled as much as them [unionists].”

I’m sure the LGBT community, the black community, Muslims, Jewish people, women, sex workers addicts and homeless people would have something to say about that.

TBF I can see why hard-core unionists might feel marginalised.

It's abundantly clear their political union with London is done - the UK as a whole and Tories in particular don't give a f**k. The cultural union they once had with protestant working class Scotland no Ionger exists outside of a few pubs and social clubs and most people in their own part of the world are at best indifferent towards or embarrassed by them.

They aren't some oppressed minority but everything they could have been sure about in decades gone by is dead or dieing.

• 2 years later...

Irish voters have - by thumping margins - rejected amendments to the Eire constitution, that would have removed references to marriage as the foundation of society, and to a woman's special place and care duties being in the home.

Polls had predicted approval - but noted 1/3 undecided.

Results:

RTÉ News - Live Referendum Results - 39th Amendment - Constituency Breakdown (rte.ie)
RTÉ News - Live Referendum Results - 40th Amendment - Constituency Breakdown (rte.ie)

image.png.e5b9f44105ecc8fc6e8179e198ddfadf.png     image.png.8d1679ba6b0ca8f26ad0ab799baeda01.png

Dun Laoghaire alone were 'For' (fractionally).                 Nowhere was 'For'.

Donegal was over 80% in favour of the traditional definitions in both areas.

While this will partly reflect wider anti-politician sentiment - all major parties backed the vote which was deliberately held on International Women Day - and there were some rather technical arguments over defining "durable" or "strive" plus not specifying disabled care... British press assumptions in recent weeks both proposals would romp home always seemed simplistic.

In recent years over a third of voters opposed gay marriage, legalising abortion, and even abolishing blasphemy laws. Three-quarters rejected allowing under 35s to stand for the Uachtaran.

There is clearly a substantial vein of social conservatism in Ireland... if floating/alienated voters come down on the same side/abstain, any proposal can struggle for a majority.

Interesting to see if either is retried with different wording.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Irish voters have - by thumping margins - rejected amendments to the Eire constitution, that would have removed references to marriage as the foundation of society, and to a woman's special place and care duties being in the home.

Polls had predicted approval - but noted 1/3 undecided.

Results:

RTÉ News - Live Referendum Results - 39th Amendment - Constituency Breakdown (rte.ie)
RTÉ News - Live Referendum Results - 40th Amendment - Constituency Breakdown (rte.ie)

image.png.e5b9f44105ecc8fc6e8179e198ddfadf.png     image.png.8d1679ba6b0ca8f26ad0ab799baeda01.png

Dun Laoghaire alone were 'For' (fractionally).                 Nowhere was 'For'.

Donegal was over 80% in favour of the traditional definitions in both areas.

While this will partly reflect wider anti-politician sentiment - all major parties backed the vote which was deliberately held on International Women Day - and there were some rather technical arguments over defining "durable" or "strive" plus not specifying disabled care... British press assumptions in recent weeks both proposals would romp home always seemed simplistic.

In recent years over a third of voters opposed gay marriage, legalising abortion, and even abolishing blasphemy laws. Three-quarters rejected allowing under 35s to stand for the Uachtaran.

There is clearly a substantial vein of social conservatism in Ireland... if floating/alienated voters come down on the same side/abstain, any proposal can struggle for a majority.

Interesting to see if either is retried with different wording.

My wife was over on Friday (not deliberately to vote) and forgot to vote rushing to the airport to get back here. Turns out it would have made no difference as Kildare North returned thumping No votes to both.

How much of it is social conservative views and how much of it is vagueness of the proposals from the government will be teased out in time in their media. But I think you are spot on that any vagueness gets punished. The AV referendum here was another example, the status quo won through easily.

There has been a lot of talk recently about how progressive South Ireland is but I'm not sure that is hugely true. Maybe so in Dublin and Cork but more rural areas are much like rural Scotland.

52 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Can you support that interpretation with evidence? Because all the other coverage I've seen states that the referendum involved amending the frame of reference with some vague, gubbins formula.

If they just wanted to remove reference to a woman's care duties then they surely they could have just posed a different and more straightforward repeal question.

N1oSIXHVHmAZ.gif.bd134a55adb8c88e10d0844c052fdc5a.gif

5 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I really don't know where any narrative regarding the ROI being progressive would have come from. Anti-immigration is rife.

Based on what evidence and compared to what benchmark exactly? 

41 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

My wife was over on Friday (not deliberately to vote) and forgot to vote rushing to the airport to get back here. Turns out it would have made no difference as Kildare North returned thumping No votes to both.

How much of it is social conservative views and how much of it is vagueness of the proposals from the government will be teased out in time in their media. But I think you are spot on that any vagueness gets punished. The AV referendum here was another example, the status quo won through easily.

I think that the AV referendum is an excellent comparison point for this. The outcome has very little to do with the principle and a lot to do with the vague and ham-fisted attempt of incumbent politicians to push through something that isn't (rightly or not) a priority with the public. 

Was in Dublin recently for an admittedly boozy weekend, but seeing all the Yes Yes signs around the place I decided to investigate what it was about. After a few minutes my brain hurt and I returned to the Guinness.

• 2 weeks later...