Ireland

Crùbag

4 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Yes, on social issues, and probably across the board.

Apparently even Iran is more progressive on abortion than the Six Counties.

The power of the Catholic Church has long since waned in the Republic. They've had a gay immigrant as Taoiseach for the past few years and the party with largest popular vote made defence of refugees and immigrants a central part of their manifesto.

1. I take it by “progressive” you mean on demand? Did you also  think China’s policy until 2015 for compulsory abortion for 2nd pregnancies was even more progressive?

2. On what basis do you describe Leo Varadkar as an immigrant?

Some cracking Irish surnames. Labour leader's surname is Howlin, feel like it should be Howlin' even.
What happens next? Had a peak on RTÈ, and they've got Sinn Fèin meeting the Greens and People Before Profit ; but would the likes of the Independents and Labour or Social Democrats come abroad or support their budgets in a loose confederation?
Surely, they'll be back at the polls in 6 months. Also, what happens if there's no Taoiseach elected next Thursday? Does Leo stay on in an interm position and the FG minority government until a new government is found?

Leo and everyone will stay on in cabinet positions until a new government is formed. That's protected in the constitution

8 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

1. I take it by “progressive” you mean on demand? Did you also  think China’s policy until 2015 for compulsory abortion for 2nd pregnancies was even more progressive?

2. On what basis do you describe Leo Varadkar as an immigrant?

On point 2 you are 100% correct. To even compare him to say the plight of a Syrian refugee is laughable.  His Father was a doctor,  he attended a private boarding school then went on to attend the most prestigious and expensive College in Ireland at the time.  Closet thing to a Tory there is in Ireland, hence why his nick name is Tory boy, that and he seems very detached from the people he is chosen to represent. 

Point 1.. what the f**k has China got do with anything, you not banging on about China in some other thread too mate? 😂

Edited by Bohemian

13 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Sacking of Julian Smith in reshuffle seems strange. He was actually  successful in his role.

Must be a personal issue with Johnson. 

He stated the blindingly obvious that a no deal Brexit would be a disaster for the Northern Ireland economy.

2 hours ago, Bohemian said:

On point 2 you are 100% correct. To even compare him to say the plight of a Syrian refugee is laughable.  His Father was a doctor,  he attended a private boarding school then went on to attend the most prestigious and expensive College in Ireland at the time.  Closet thing to a Tory there is in Ireland, hence why his nick name is Tory boy, that and he seems very detached from the people he is chosen to represent. 

Point 1.. what the f**k has China got do with anything, you not banging on about China in some other thread too mate? 😂

Come off it. Tories originated in Ireland, albeit the Irish version was morally superior. The unbroken sequence of FF and FG government would suggest that Irish voters are politically conservative and that Nationalism was the only manifestation of radicalism. That may be changing now but it shouldn't be ignored that whether they were called Tories or not they were not a radical electorate.

16 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Yes, on social issues, and probably across the board.

Apparently even Iran is more progressive on abortion than the Six Counties.

The power of the Catholic Church has long since waned in the Republic. They've had a gay immigrant as Taoiseach for the past few years and the party with largest popular vote made defence of refugees and immigrants a central part of their manifesto.

2 hours ago, Bohemian said:

Some well dodgy, borderline(?) racist, attitudes on display from you two guys. Crubag thinks a man born in Ireland, of an Irish mother and who has lived nearly his whole life there, is an immigrant. And Bohemian seems to think that all immigrants are refugees and that being conservative disqualifies somebody from being Irish. Hmmm.

1 hour ago, Pet Jeden said:

Some well dodgy, borderline(?) racist, attitudes on display from you two guys. Crubag thinks a man born in Ireland, of an Irish mother and who has lived nearly his whole life there, is an immigrant. And Bohemian seems to think that all immigrants are refugees and that being conservative disqualifies somebody from being Irish. Hmmm.

Wow.. You're a nasty piece of work.  I used to think you were just a boring twat.  How you have managed to twist that into me being racist is something quite extraordinary.

Edited by Bohemian

3 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

Sacking of Julian Smith in reshuffle seems strange. He was actually  successful in his role.

Must be a personal issue with Johnson. 

He was Theresa May's whip trying to twist Brexiteers arms to vote through her Brexit bill, so there's probably plenty of previous between the two of them. The real surprise was that Boris gave him the NI job in the first place - unless that was meant to be a punishment in itself!

1 hour ago, Bohemian said:

Wow.. You're a nasty piece of work.  I used to think you were just a boring twat.  How you have managed to twist that into me being racist is something quite extraordinary.

Oooh. Racist tendencies and a short fuse. Dangerous combination.

Look, no point in lashing out with insults. All I've done is quote your own words on the nature of Irishness. If you don't like them, then you need to have a long, hard look at your (subconscious) attitudes.

21 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Look, no point in lashing out with insults. All I've done is quote your own words on the nature of Irishness. If you don't like them, then you need to have a long, hard look at your (subconscious) attitudes.

f**k up cretin..

Twist it what ever you want, if you think anything racist was said, of you pop to the Mods.. 

Edited by Bohemian

58 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This I think. One of the least coveted & least regarded cabinet posts (see: Karen Bradley) if you're a Tory, they probably didn't expect him to actually succeed in anything.

The Tories really don't give a f**k about Northern Ireland, or Scotland for that matter despite all the lip service to Unionism. They're fundamentally English Nationalists, access to their shooting estates died as a concern along with One Nationism.

"I freely admit that when I started this job, I didn’t understand some of the deep-seated and deep-rooted issues that there are in Northern Ireland,” she said.

“I didn’t understand things like when elections are fought for example in Northern Ireland - people who are nationalists don’t vote for unionist parties and vice-versa.

“So, the parties fight for the election within their own community. Actually, the unionist parties fight the elections against each other in unionist communities and nationalists in nationalist communities.

“That’s a very different world from the world I came from where in Staffordshire Moorlands I was fighting a Labour-held seat as a Conservative politician and I was trying to put forward why you would want to switch from voting Labour to voting Conservative.

“That is so incredibly different and it’s when you realise that, and you see that, that you can then start to understand some of the things that the politicians say and some of the rhetoric.”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/uk-regions/northern-ireland/news/98027/karen-bradley-i-did-not-know-people-northern-ireland

Edited by welshbairn

Would the Irish Greens support a grand coalition? No idea of their politics but the Greens over here would baulk at putting the Tories in power. I suspect enough independents will want their pay cheques continuing for a short term SF coalition, new election in 6 months to a year.

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Would the Irish Greens support a grand coalition? No idea of their politics but the Greens over here would baulk at putting the Tories in power. I suspect enough independents will want their pay cheques continuing for a short term SF coalition, new election in 6 months to a year.

Yes the Greens would most definitely, they'd go in with anyone to be honest. The last time they went in with FF they were absolutely obliterated but I dont think that would stop them again.

FF/FG/Greens most likely... FF/FG slowly morphing into the same party, well I reckon that's what the Irish public will see.

Edited by Bohemian

5 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Dodgy?! I stand corrected on Varadkar - I thought he was an immigrant, as is my partner and was my father - but surely anyone with a grasp of English can see that I was referencing that as a positive.

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Just out of interest, what were his words on the 'nature of Irishness'? Can you quote the offending text here?

Ironic, you're getting hot and bothered about insults after calling myself and Boh 'borderline racists' when it's patently obvious we're not.

Funny how conservative Ireland is, it's like Scotland is the only left wing country around here.

Also, Isn't it usually the right wingers have links to violent groups, more or less.

but this time it is them from the left (SF) who have links to these people and them political peoples on the right (FF & FG) don't like the violent people.