Ireland

Crùbag

A plainsclothed detective of the Garda has been fatally shot in Castlrea, County Roscommon at midnight last night, apparently after a "confrontation". He was killed by his own gun, details a bit sketchy at the moment.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

A plainsclothed detective of the Garda has been fatally shot in Castlrea, County Roscommon at midnight last night, apparently after a "confrontation". He was killed by his own gun, details a bit sketchy at the moment.

This sounds like the opening of a moody 4 part crime thriller currently airing on Netflix.

Saw a BBC website story about a greenest government ever in Dublin and thought oh oh that could be trouble, but turns out the civil war factions have agreed that it's better to kiss and make up and build lots of windmills rather than have anything to do with people from TFS in balaclavas.

I have no idea what the difference between FF and FG is. The only thing you ever hear about them is they're both centrists but one is slightly to the right of the other. Is it not a bit mental to have two main parties with 50% the same name and almost indistinguishably placed on the political spectrum.

What kind of people vote for each one?

17 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I have no idea what the difference between FF and FG is. The only thing you ever hear about them is they're both centrists but one is slightly to the right of the other. Is it not a bit mental to have two main parties with 50% the same name and almost indistinguishably placed on the political spectrum.

Fine and Fianna.

58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Fine and Fianna.

...and one means family and the other means warriors. Always think if the BBC reported them as Family of the Gael, Warriors of Destiny and Ourselves Alone more people would clue into what Irish republicanism has really been about. A long way away from the United Irishmen of 1798 basically.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

...What kind of people vote for each one?

Largely revolves around who your grandad fought for in the 1920s, which after closing in on 100 years is probably why it is now starting to unravel. Bit like how fossilised voting patterns based on the American civil war that led to southern rednecks voting Democrat and African Americans voting Republican did the same from the 1960s onwards.

On 28/06/2020 at 11:39, LongTimeLurker said:

Largely revolves around who your grandad fought for in the 1920s, which after closing in on 100 years is probably why it is now starting to unravel. Bit like how fossilised voting patterns based on the American civil war that led to southern rednecks voting Democrat and African Americans voting Republican did the same from the 1960s onwards.

Those southern "Yellow Dog" Democrats in the 1960s were more Republican than the Republican party is now.

Farmers vote for FG. Posh republicans for FF. Incidentally FG had many nazi sympathisers in the 1930's...... Closet facists... Both now very similar

Who was it who signed a book of condolence for Adolf H at the end of WWII? FF and FG both did things they would prefer to now forget in that era. Will be interesting to see if they merge in the years ahead, because the way things have been heading they will probably need to for the RoI elite's grip on the levers of power to remain intact.

Who was it who signed a book of condolence for Adolf H at the end of WWII? FF and FG both did things they would prefer to now forget in that era. Will be interesting to see if they merge in the years ahead, because the way things have been heading they will probably need to for the RoI elite's grip on the levers of power to remain intact.
https://www.lookleftonline.org/2010/08/fine-gaels-fascist-roots/

Know all about that, but who was in power when fishing boats were covertly going out to help resupply German U-boats, but at the same time wouldn't let the Royal Navy use the three treaty ports in Lough Swilly, Bantry Bay and Cobh when the Atlantic convoys were under attack? Lots of very murky stuff going on in those days. Any Czech would tell us all about Chamberlain and Munich obviously. What I always find mindblowing is how de Valera even knocked back UI to stay "neutral".

Didn't say anything about fuel. There's a youtube clip I've watched where an Irish fisherman openly talks about going out to help resupply U-boats. Will try to track it down. Eire couldn't do anything blatantly obvious that would have given Churchill an excuse to invade, but in the early part of the war neutrality was preferred to promises of UI for joining the Allied side because the calculation was that the Nazis would win.

Edit: not the one I was looking for but an example of what has long been talked about at 6:00.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

That was very interesting, listened to the whole thing.

"Force had to be met with force." Except if it's British force, of course, then it's wrong, obviously...

My God the two weirdo PULs trying to excuse their colonialism apropos of nothing is palpable. Mind that time the British Empire and her Allies teamed up with Stalin? Must negate the whole of British democracy.

On 01/07/2020 at 21:30, LongTimeLurker said:

Know all about that, but who was in power when fishing boats were covertly going out to help resupply German U-boats, but at the same time wouldn't let the Royal Navy use the three treaty ports in Lough Swilly, Bantry Bay and Cobh when the Atlantic convoys were under attack? Lots of very murky stuff going on in those days. Any Czech would tell us all about Chamberlain and Munich obviously. What I always find mindblowing is how de Valera even knocked back UI to stay "neutral".

Source? You bigoted weirdo.

I think you'll find, despite their policy of neutrality and despite the fact Britain oppressed them for hundreds of years, the Irish tended towards the British in WW2. You are a swivel eyed 'Parkhead floodlights left on' loon. 

Just now, Tutankhamen said:

Our two Blues Brothers will never the mention hiding in the shipyards or Irish VC winners.

Seems even today in Scotland certain VC winners have never had a plaque put up in the local area.

I often wondered why.

I don't understand a bit of what you're banging on about. Presumably the Vicoria Cross which I couldn't give a single f**k about.  All I see is two colonial masters trying to spread disinformation and trying to dIscredit Irish self-determination so far as possible.