Ireland

Crùbag

Didn't know whether to post in this thread or the one on BBC Bias. Just watched the film Ronin on Netflix. The end voice-over purporting to be from BBC World Service, referred to the peace agreement between the Protestant majority of the British-ruled enclave and the Irish Resistance. That may be the view of many Irish-Americans, but its surely not endorsed by any branch of the BBC.  Anyway the film was rank (no pun intended).
If it wasn't for the ridiculous final half hour it would be one of my favourite thrillers. Each to their own.

13 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Notable for it's car chase apparently. And for anyone who hasn't seen better examples, such as "The Driver".

Hey how does this work?

The boot of the car gets blown off but in the end scene it is back on the car again.

Who do I speak to about this?

On 21/02/2020 at 12:39, Bohemian said:

On a football note, this is a football forum after all 😄 The reason zee Germans wear a Green 2nd kit is because the Irish were the first to play them after the war. 

Seems to have been debunked.

https://afootballreport.com/post/17361170683/why-does-germany-wear-green-the-ireland-myth-and

http://www.soccer365.com/why-is-the-german-national-team-away-soccer-jersey-green/

And Ireland weren't even the first team to play (West) Germany after the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_national_football_team_results

On 22/02/2020 at 23:32, Thane of Cawdor said:

Didn't know whether to post in this thread or the one on BBC Bias. Just watched the film Ronin on Netflix. The end voice-over purporting to be from BBC World Service, referred to the peace agreement between the Protestant majority of the British-ruled enclave and the Irish Resistance. That may be the view of many Irish-Americans, but its surely not endorsed by any branch of the BBC.  Anyway the film was rank (no pun intended).

Fucking outrageous. It's an exclave 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can’t help but think that any short term ‘benefits’ to FF and FG of this will be wiped out in the mid to long term.

No I can't see it working either. The best option is biting the bullet (no pun intended) and one of them going into coalition with SF and let SF show themselves for what they are.

Anyway, if SF are good enough for NI, surely they're good enough for RoI.

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No I can't see it working either. The best option is biting the bullet (no pun intended) and one of them going into coalition with SF and let SF show themselves for what they are.

Anyway, if SF are good enough for NI, surely they're good enough for RoI.

The policies that SF campaigned on are ones that seem to have a lot of support.  In particular addressing the issue of affordable housing.

Would either of the other parties be able to agree a common policy agenda with them?

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The policies that SF campaigned on are ones that seem to have a lot of support.  In particular addressing the issue of affordable housing.

Would either of the other parties be able to agree a common policy agenda with them?

Considering that Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail and Fine Gael all ended up with roughly the same % of first preference votes and roughly the same amount of seats you could say "the policies that Fianna Fail/Fine Gael campaigned on are ones that seem to have a lot of support".

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Considering that Sinn Fein, Fianna Fail and Fine Gael all ended up with roughly the same % of first preference votes and roughly the same amount of seats you could say "the policies that Fianna Fail/Fine Gael campaigned on are ones that seem to have a lot of support".

An interesting way of looking at it.  If you apply that ‘logic’ maybe FF and FG should go the whole hog and amalgamate.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

An interesting way of looking at it.  If you apply that ‘logic’ maybe FF and FG should go the whole hog and amalgamate.

Are you saying that only Sinn Fein had policies that people voted for? (My reply was just as valid as your interpretation, I don't see why it's so "interesting" or why you used "logic" in your reply.)

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Are you saying that only Sinn Fein had policies that people voted for? (My reply was just as valid as your interpretation, I don't see why it's so "interesting" or why you used "logic" in your reply.)

Jesus, Granny. Maybe lighten up a bit.You  could start a fight in an empty hoose. Not-so-passive aggression seems to be your default position. You should reserve your simmering anger and patronising quotation marks for posters and subject matter that deserve such responses.

I’m not saying that, I’m saying that to me the significant increase in vote for SF indicated that people are unhappy with the two party system and are looking for change.

The reaction has been similar to the reaction in some parts of Scotland when the SNP started to emerge as a political force and Labour and the Tories tried to work together to keep them out office.

Didn’t work out too well for the ‘establishment’ parties.