Ireland

Crùbag

12 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

As an outsider looking in, and this may have been covered by someone before, surely FF and FG just form a coalition to keep SF out? 

Deh ye tink the civil feking war was fought fer nuttin?

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Deh ye tink the civil feking war was fought fer nuttin?

I think the last FG government's supply and confidence tie up with FF put that on the back burner.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think the last FG government's supply and confidence tie up with FF put that on the back burner.

And their wealthy backers wanting the same old corruptibility to carry on. Welfare State? WTF wid be de point o dat?

JG, Ireland wants change, if there is a reversal after this ie FG propping FF up I really think it won't be accepted.
SF will either have a say in govt or another GE.. It's a crushing blow to unionists.... Border poll incoming [emoji23][emoji23][emoji1132][emoji1132][emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

JG, Ireland wants change, if there is a reversal after this ie FG propping FF up I really think it won't be accepted.
SF will either have a say in govt or another GE.. It's a crushing blow to unionists.... Border poll incoming emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji1132.pngemoji1132.pngemoji1022.png󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Maybe so, that's not what I was getting at in the reply you quoted. And there will be no border poll incoming for a wee while, calm your jets.

6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

SF will either have a say in govt or another GE.. It's a crushing blow to unionists.... Border poll incoming emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji1132.pngemoji1132.pngemoji1022.png󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Don't think a border poll has anything to do with it, it's about never having a left of centre Government in their history.

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

It is, based on their performance it will be very difficult for FG and FF to close ranks and keep them out of having a say. Yes FG,FF and handful of independents could do it but that govt will collapse, and SF vote will go up even more next time.
Interesting days ahead

It would need to go beyond confidence and supply given the closeness of the expected vote shares. A full coalition might make the government stick and keep sinn fein out.

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

As an outsider looking in, and this may have been covered by someone before, surely FF and FG just form a coalition to keep SF out? 

They have very similar policies in a lot of ways but still hate each other over stuff that happened during the civil war in the 1920s, so good luck with that.

SF-FF is the most likely combination in some ways given the wilder fringes of FF were quite keen on the Provos back in the day. Charles Haughey for example was alleged to be quite close to them. SF has drained away a lot of FF's traditional support base, so a coalition would completely undermine the whole idea of FF being the RoI's natural party of power and would probably just help SF to completely eclipse them in the years ahead.

Think they'll just wind up having another election in the not too distant future.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

31 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They have very similar policies in a lot of ways but still hate each other over stuff that happened during the civil war in the 1920s, so good luck with that.

SF-FF is the most likely combination in some ways given the wilder fringes of FF were quite keen on the Provos back in the day. Charles Haughey for example was alleged to be quite close to them. SF has drained away a lot of FF's traditional support base, so a coalition would completely undermine the whole idea of FF being the RoI's natural party of power and would probably just help SF to completely eclipse them in the years ahead.

Think they'll just wind up having another election in the not too distant future.

And the Sinners might even put up more candidates.