Ireland

Crùbag

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Ah the RIC, the armed native British police force in Ireland that enforced the law during the Great Hunger. Ulster Unionism thought that much of them they hunted them at the creation of the Failed State...

Not quite accurate. The RUC carried on the traditions of the RIC and in the early years had a lot of Roman Catholic officers that were former RICmen (over 20% from what I remember reading).

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not quite accurate. The RUC carried on the traditions of the RIC and in the early years had a lot of Roman Catholic officers that were former RICmen (over 20% from what I remember reading).

Nearer 50% - 1300 (approx) out of 3000 (approx)

7 hours ago, DublinMagyar said:
7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
Ha ha. My aunty tells me there about ten metres long with about 100 candidates which you have to prioritise. PR certainly has its faults....

Correct, pain in the hole tbqh

Is there no £500 deposit if you don't get 5% of the vote over there, or something similar?

Guess Fine Gael were using the RIC stuff to make their opponents look like backward throwbacks just in time for an election then.
Possible but tbh from what I read I think public opinion was very much against the commemoration. Coincides with the 100yr anniversary of Balbriggan, Cork demolition and shootings in croke park. Maybe wait a couple of years.

Possibly off topic, but since there's an Ireland thread.
I'm reading about the Irish Senate, and can anyone tell me why the Irish voted to keep it in 2013?

It's like the house of lords but elected. When push came to shove I guess the people wanted the status quo, another chamber of scrutiny. Like I say its members are elected so not as tragic as the Lords. Reason it would have gone to referendum is that any significant constitutional change must go to referendum hence Ireland has loads of them.@DublinMagyar. May have some more insight