East Fife v Airdrie

At least the weather was better in Fife and it was battering down on my return to the village . It was in the end a fair result as I thought Airdrie edged the first half but East Fife had us under pressure for that last 25 minutes. We never really managed to get any counter attack going and the equaliser looked inevitable. To lose it again from a corner was annoying but we also relied on deadball situations as well. If EF's defending was bad in the view of their fans, then the opening goal was very poor from our viewpoint-so much space given to Dunsmore's run in and Hutton left a huge gap for that shot. There were chances at either end and I thought the CBs were very good for both teams, and the number of blocks by our lot in the 2nd half did earn them their wages. The idea that neither of the sides will win the League is a prediction too early, especially as Raith could not see off Forfar, and there is something not quite dominant about Falkirk. Wallace was a right wee pest for most of the game and he looks vital for EF prospects, but he does some moaning at all and sundry. Carrick was our best player , McKay's arms must be sore from his long throws, and it is too early to judge Ryan's role in the team. We did sit back a lot but that was also down to EF pressurising.  Still enjoyed hearing Telstar but glad I won't need to pay £12.00  till maybe next season.

Been critical of the manager's changes on the past, but fair play for trying something different & realising that it wasn't working out. Church, just not good enough, prefer Slattery. Baker, if we wanted to change things up front, surely Boyd would've been a better choice?
A draw probably does neither side any good. An improved 2nd half. Great game from Crighton for Airdrie, a player I've admired for a wee while.  A poor game from us for 80 minutes, but we proved we've not thrown in the towel just yet. Great to see Smith back. 

No idea what to make of that game. Whilst stats would say we were the better team- always thought Airdrie were more likely to score. A draw a fair result.

Our defence looks vulnerable- need Dunlop back. Felt we were much better when Pat and Tonks came on.

Lets forget about the diamond shape and play 2 upfront- get Dunlop back- try and bolster our midfield( even put Murdoch in) and kick on. Great to see Smithy making an appearance need his experience in the run in.

Good point in the end and could end up being an important one. Not just in that it puts us back above Montrose even though they have a game in hand but also from a ‘stopping the rot’ perspective. Hopefully it will help confidence even though it’s a couple of weeks till the next game.
Dunsmore took his goal really well after a driving run at the Airdrie defence. A well worked corner by Airdrie so the ever dangerous Gallagher head home from close range at the back post. Poor defending and inability to clear the ball out the box saw the ball break to Gallagher again who coolly slotted past Long. At that stage I feared the worst as the visitors looked dangerous every time they went forward.
To our credit, we came out in the second half with more desire and belief pinning Airdrie back for long periods but they still looked dangerous on the break. Airdrie and in particular, Crichton defended brilliantly by blocking shots and making some great challenges. Thankfully Craig Watson got his head on a corner to get a deserved equaliser.
Airdrie look a decent side and they brought a good number of fans with them.
We need to stop shipping poor goals which are putting us under real pressure to get back into it. Thought Murdoch was excellent today and made some great challenges in the if and on the ground. Good to see Watson get on the scoresheet. Dunsmore was more like himself but I can’t help feeling that Referees are now looking for an excuse to book him. It was barely a foul today never mind a booking ! Davidson showed what we were missing against the Rovers. Baker did ok for his first start and hopefully with more game time will become more of a threat. Wallace is a persistent moaner but a great player to have in your team. Often dropping into deep areas where he gets more space to work in. Have to admit we looked more comfortable on the left side when Slattery came on. Good to see Kev Smith make an appearance.
With a friendly next Sat, hopefully Darren Young will use it to give some players game time but also try a few options. Hopefully Ross Dunlop maybe available for the Clyde game. I would like to see us try the following formation
Long
Watson. Dunlop. Higgins. Slattery
Murdoch. Davidson
Dunsmore. Wallace. Agnew
Dowds

Was surprised that Boyd wasn’t brought on today when we were needing a goal. Is it a sign that he could be on his way when his contract runs out ? Or is he carrying a knock ?
Really need to get 3 points at Brodwood if we are to make a real push for the play offs. Mon the Fife

1 hour ago, sneed hearn said:

Very fair summary though I think you’ll find more clubs are joining East Fife in realising that in the main pensioners are no longer the poorest section of our society.

I am indeed quite comfortable in my pensioner years and I don't really complain at whatever price EF or other clubs charge. I think it might be the dearest "concession" price but I can understand why EF have that differential. Hope your Pension Brigade enjoy paying a tenner in Airdrie.

I am indeed quite comfortable in my pensioner years and I don't really complain at whatever price EF or other clubs charge. I think it might be the dearest "concession" price but I can understand why EF have that differential. Hope your Pension Brigade enjoy paying a tenner in Airdrie.

I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts. East Fife charge £2 more than Airdrie for concessions - £12 opposed to £10 but adult admission is £2 cheaper at Bayview - £15 instead of £17 at the Penny Cars stadium. Free parking at Bayview but £2 at Airdrie. I personally think admission charges should be standardised across a league as you are watching the same two teams playing no matter where.

And they don't mind chipping in to pay the £5 to park the bus either.

33 minutes ago, sammytroot said:

Just to add my pennyworth, EF concessions start at age 60 as opposed to Airdrie 65.Swings and roundabouts etc

Not able to make the game yesterday just watched highlights and must say that's was a very generous concession from Airdrie the way the defended the corner for the EF equaliser .. 

12 hours ago, Bayviewboy said:

I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts. East Fife charge £2 more than Airdrie for concessions - £12 opposed to £10 but adult admission is £2 cheaper at Bayview - £15 instead of £17 at the Penny Cars stadium. Free parking at Bayview but £2 at Airdrie. I personally think admission charges should be standardised across a league as you are watching the same two teams playing no matter where.

That is not a good idea with different clubs having differing costs, different sponsorships etc.  A pound here or there is nothing in the big scheme of things, but as I said, the various clubs need to be free to set their own charges to suit the way their clubs operate.  It has worked for the past 100+ years.

Absolutely gutted we couldn’t hold on for the three points yesterday. It was backs against the walls for the last 20 minutes so can’t really complain, but so frustrating losing the goal so late.

A good support through from us as well.

I’d like to see Smith dropped for the next game as he’s been off the boil for a number of weeks now, he missed a really good chance in the first half as well.

Still in the mix, upwards and onwards!

I didn't expect my admittedly flippant remark about £12.00 concession to lead to an interesting debate on the swings and roundabouts of League prices, but I enjoyed catching up today. If we are both still in the same League next year (quite likely?) then that Bakery place on the side road , will be worth popping into.

It would have been incredibly hard luck on us to lose that game after the amount of pressure we had at the end. It was good to get the point but I imagine both sides will feel that it was a winnable game and yet another draw between teams in the top half.

All four goals will probably, fairly, be seen as pretty soft from a defensive point of view.

On the selection front, if Pat Slattery's fit, I don't see any good reason to play Church ahead of him. I think he's defensively ahead of Church and offers more going forward. baker did OK. Difficult to judge a player on their first start.

7 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It would have been incredibly hard luck on us to lose that game after the amount of pressure we had at the end. It was good to get the point but I imagine both sides will feel that it was a winnable game and yet another draw between teams in the top half.

All four goals will probably, fairly, be seen as pretty soft from a defensive point of view.

On the selection front, if Pat Slattery's fit, I don't see any good reason to play Church ahead of him. I think he's defensively ahead of Church and offers more going forward. baker did OK. Difficult to judge a player on their first start.

I agree and maybe one of the things that could hold EF back is all those draws from earlier in the season. It does look as if the League is now 2  groups of 5 teams , so no one will run away with it-mind you my predictions are usually duff.

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

When we have loaned players does the parent club apply pressure to get their player game time? . If this is the case East Fife should not bother with loaned players. 

When we have loaned players does the parent club apply pressure to get their player game time? . If this is the case East Fife should not bother with loaned players. 
I've always thought this about loan players across the leagues tbh.
I always thought there was some kind of stipulation that "if they're fit, they play" we've had some absolute garbage loaned to us in the past and they 9 times out of 10 started even when everyone could see they were rotten.

Not sure if there's pressure, but the parent club has obviously sent the loanee out to get game time. I'm not believing Hearts gave us Rory Currie for 20 mins here and there, similarly Broque from 'Well, or Church from Celtic. In the first instance they have to be better than what we have though.

DY has said in the past he's not a fan of loans, he also wants players who bide there time and earn a place in the team, so clubs might be reluctant to send us loans. It's something that worked well for us under Naysmith though.