Stenhousemuir -vs- Brechin City

19 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Honestly, we absolutely battered Brechin today, and still we can’t win. The third week on the trot. This feels really ominous.

And the ex Berwick centre half, looked like a Berwick centre half.

Better to be battering teams than limping to a draw. I think Stenny are just going through a bad patch but I don’t see them finishing bottom. 

1 hour ago, beaver1 said:

Honestly, we absolutely battered Brechin today, and still we can’t win. The third week on the trot. This feels really ominous.

And the ex Berwick centre half, looked like a Berwick centre half.

“And the ex Berwick centre half, looked like a Berwick centre half.” - 😂

Andy Munro is decent though at centre back. Or has been against Cove

I went along to the game today as Clyde game was off. Enjoyed being in the away end some decent banter. 
Stenny started the brightest but Brechin became stronger as the half went on and deservedly were ahead at half time. The winger had a great first half for Brechin. Although he was up against Scott McLaughlin. Second half saw stenny dominate and was just a matter of time before they scored. I said to my mate if they get 1 they will get another as Brechin had no idea what to do second half  and stopped playing completely. Maybe fitness an issue, few overweight players and ended the game with 2 strikers who couldn’t run the length of themselves, that ain’t going to get you anywhere. But credit for getting the equaliser. On the whole it was 2 poor teams who have poor defences expect Munro for stenny. Poor maybe even non existent midfields who both get by -passed. Really disappointed in McCord, who Is one of whom I would label as unfit. But stenny have forward men who have that bit of extra quality, the 3 today (including hopkirk who was right wing)  look like they will have too much about them which should get stenny out of trouble. 

I hope Brechin get out of the mess for some reason! All the best. (that tractor song is a belter btw!)

(edited, and aye I agree the Berwick CB looked like a Berwick CB 😂

Edited by DeanMck

Evidently there was was a small Clyde contingent along yesterday. I also went to this game but chose to sit in the stand with the home crowd. I've always preferred the view from there at Ochilview.

On the match. No doubt Stenny came out of the traps the quicker. However, when you've a couple of debutants on the pitch and you're at home to a team you need to beat, that's the least you expect. Stenny ended up with nothing to show for their purposeful start and it was obvious that in taking the game to Brechin in the way they did, they would be making it that bit easier for Brechin to score one on the counter. And so it was that Brechin nicked one before half time, a lead they won without seeing a lot of the ball.

Stenny simply kept at it in the second half and were rewarded for their persistence. Someone like Andy Munro is always liable to get you a goal from a set piece, being as aggressive and good in the air as he is. David Hopkirk too, having the ability he does, is always liable to chip in with a goal or an assist. He lay pretty much dormant the second half until he won Stenny the lead with his great run and shot, coming in from the right hand side. Alas, Stenny's defensive weaknesses couldn't be masked another ten minutes to see them away with the three points. The linesman's decision preceding Brechin's equaliser was contentious, but you always want your players playing to the whistle, and Stenny's back four might've done better there.

A few things struck me about Stenny more generally and they'd worry me if I was a Warrior. The team's camaraderie and spirit isn't great. It was apparent that some players either don't get on with one another or are perhaps a bit resigned to what they think is the team's fate. That doesn't bode well for a team in Stenny's position. Greig Spence is a hell of a gamble to take with only a few months to get it right and still looks a shadow of his former self. And if, as I hear, you're on the brink of losing the much diminshed looking Mark McGuigan, that doesn't tell a hopeful story either. At the back, while Munro does the defending basics well, he's not a leader nor a stabilising force, something I think Stenny are without. Going forward, Hopkirk will get you points as he's a talented player but, like Munro, isn't all that dependable. Alan Cook on the other hand is very dependable and if you'd a team with his attitude front to back, you'd surely be spared the backdoor.

On Brechin. There's not a lot of quality in their side, in my opinion, and Jackson strkes me as a desperate signing, given his fitness. Brechin are carrying a few players who've let that side of their game slide I'm sorry to say. They done enough today to scrape the draw of course, but that's a damning thing in itself. I wonder a bit about having Mark Wilson in there as the manager, as I do with Irons at Stenny. I don't recognise either as great motivators and neither has any kind of track record. I think it'll continue to be a close thing as between Stenny, Brechin and Albion down the bottom.

Great stuff Old John, truly.

Not much to say about the match other than I can't quite believe we dropped two points today. I thought we were the better side for long spells, particularly in the second half, and this failure to see off teams is a massive cause for concern. There's no way Brechin City should have taken something from that match.

It's only one game but Robert Wilson turned in an alarming performance. He got the ball tangled in his feet for Olly Hamilton's opening goal and I don't think he won a header against Andy Jackson all afternoon. Not at all what I was expecting from my new centre-back.

13 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Great stuff Old John, truly.

I take it you disagree with my take, given the down vote. Be interested to hear where you think I've gone wrong, particularly given as your own summary doesn't seem to contradict mine. I'm being serious, not baiting or whatever.

1 minute ago, hedgeman83 said:
9 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:
My in depth view on the game
We were absolute shite second half they should have taken their chances and did they nae so it was a drawemoji4.png

That and our defence was absolute garbage hill just looked like he couldn't be arsed

Page is another that is just not good enough,Mick Dunlop or his dad it is then😄

Agree that collectively we were not at our best but still swung a point.

Harsh criticism of Hill who blocked many a shot and cleared off line.

Our full backs are not natural full backs and our midfield needs work. Jacko has less movement than previous years but still has ability, swagger same.

A few signings to come hopefully will improve the performances. Stenny had there new ones in today, they might improve on yesterday whereas with our current squad we can play better and with reinforcements who knows.

Onwards.

Edited by Cold Feet

5 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Our full backs are not natural full backs and our midfield needs work. Jacko has less movement than previous years but still has ability, swagger same.

A few signings to come hopefully will improve the performances. Stenny had there new ones in today, they might improve on yesterday whereas with our current squad we can play better and with reinforcements who knows.

Onwards.

I Kind of agree with most of that . Hill did put himself about at times but seems to go missing when defending corners , as happened for the first goal.  He seems to spend too much time with his hands on his knees instead of taking a look around . Munro has a reputation for scoring headers from set pieces and was given all the space he needed . 

I felt that a few of the  players struggled to get the ball under control quickly enough at times .  This always seems to be the case when we go to Stenny. Don't know if it is a psychological thing or if the pitch is inconsistent or not, but certainly compared to the last two weeks there was a noticeable difference.   Pongo just couldn't get into the game at all and was rightly subbed.  Jacko's game is all about bringing the ball down, holding it in  and laying iaying it  off . Most of the time yesterday he was struggling with the second or third bounce. 

Just my observations but saying that I think that Stenny had the better of the second half and I feared the worst when we went a goal down.  Credit to the front lot , Olly Hamilton in particular for battling back into the game. 

1 hour ago, Cold Feet said:

Onwards.

I’d be a lot more worried if I was a Stenny fan than a Brechin one.

See Marks Wilson comments - think are spot on.
Played poorly, rushed our passes, never in control and would take a point.

Wish someone had asked him about players coming in. 
Gong to be bust this week .

We have no game next weekend so he has a fortnight.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Have you seen Stenny?

I don't like saying this but you're right - we're appalling just now. Yesterday provided us with an excellent chance to kickstart the season and move away from the foot of the table but we failed to do so, passing up numerous chances before our new centre-back helped Brechin City win a point. On paper that was our easiest tie and we did not win it.

I hope this isn't the case but I think it'll be a straight shoot-out for 10th place between ourselves and Brechin. I don't think anyone else will get pulled into it.

There are two ways to look at yesterday.

Positive way is we were much better than Brechin, we have a better squad. We missed a lot of chances but at least the chances were there. 7/9 points against them so far. They looked terrible.

Negative way is we still couldn't get it done against what was a terrible team. The linesman made a howler for the equaliser but we should never have allowed an idiot linesman to dictate the amount of points we got.

I reckon we will be alright.