West of Scotland cup

Bankie77

Do yous feel this has lost its importance ??This use to be a massive tournament seems to have lost its importance over the recent years. Do teams still take this seriously as other competitions like Scottish cup and league . Likes of talbot and pollok with the size of squads they have do they give the lads who haven’t been playing a game ? Would love to see us go full strength and try to win it.

Edited by Bankie77

To an extent - it's lost a bit in as much as it was possible to come up against sides you normally wouldn't meet, but since the Ayrshire/Central regions were amalgamated that's obviously not the case anymore.

Moreover, since the departure of the majority of the East Region sides capable of going deep into the competition the latter rounds of the Junior Cup more or less look like a West of Scotland Cup anyway, so the real WoS almost feels like duplication somehow.

40 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

To an extent - it's lost a bit in as much as it was possible to come up against sides you normally wouldn't meet, but since the Ayrshire/Central regions were amalgamated that's obviously not the case anymore.

Moreover, since the departure of the majority of the East Region sides capable of going deep into the competition the latter rounds of the Junior Cup more or less look like a West of Scotland Cup anyway, so the real WoS almost feels like duplication somehow.

Agree with the first paragraph but not the second, I'm afraid.

The Scottish Cup still regularly throws up East v West or North v West matches so I don't see how it can be viewed as a duplicate. Granted the latter stages of the Scottish is mostly made up of West clubs but that was always the case anyway. The recent finals of the WOS has shown that all clubs have a chance in the tournament. This may be down to the fact that clubs like Talbot probably have the WOS in 4th place in their list of priorities for the season, hence giving squad rotation a chance. However, it's still a genuine tournament as it's still squad members who contest it, not trialists. Kennie has been tasked with upping the profile and he is doing that successfully. Everyone should be going for it!

7 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Agree with the first paragraph but not the second, I'm afraid.

The Scottish Cup still regularly throws up East v West or North v West matches so I don't see how it can be viewed as a duplicate. Granted the latter stages of the Scottish is mostly made up of West clubs but that was always the case anyway. The recent finals of the WOS has shown that all clubs have a chance in the tournament. This may be down to the fact that clubs like Talbot probably have the WOS in 4th place in their list of priorities for the season, hence giving squad rotation a chance. However, it's still a genuine tournament as it's still squad members who contest it, not trialists. Kennie has been tasked with upping the profile and he is doing that successfully. Everyone should be going for it!

It's moving away from the original question I suppose, but up until very recently there was a good chance of at least a couple of East sides making it at least to the semi-final stage, which isn't the case anymore. This year there are 4 non-West clubs left in the last 16, and I would be surprised if more than one makes it through to the last 8....it was similar last year.

It's maybe a wee bit revisionist to say that's always been the case anyway....it certainly has been for the last decade or so, but the decade before that the East won the Junior Cup seven or eight times. It's unlikely to happen again for sure though with most of the better teams away.

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It's moving away from the original question I suppose, but up until very recently there was a good chance of at least a couple of East sides making it at least to the semi-final stage, which isn't the case anymore. This year there are 4 non-West clubs left in the last 16, and I would be surprised if more than one makes it through to the last 8....it was similar last year.

It's maybe a wee bit revisionist to say that's always been the case anyway....it certainly has been for the last decade or so, but the decade before that the East won the Junior Cup seven or eight times. It's unlikely to happen again for sure though with most of the better teams away.

Certainly no debate about West domination in the Scottish now but I think a lot of the ambivalence was down to the old fixture secretary's mismanagment of the tournament. Should get better now.

44 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont really bother with any of the cups, i’d rather win a league. Obviously boards/committees want cup runs etc but I dont really get excited about any of the junior cups. If we went out it wouldnt bother me one bit.

Well we are not going to win the league so a cup would do nicely 

The clubs bothered more with the West than the region did. First round was always played early then other rounds fitted in whenever with the final arse end of season. Kennie has been doing well promoting it and better scheduling has given the tournament a far more important place in the calendar. Prior to the amalgamation of the associations you looked forward to perhaps drawing a club from outwith your region now it doesn't have the same impact but with at last a fixture secretary that knows what he's doing the West Cup hopefully will benefit in the long term.

Before my time, but I imagine a lot of the lustre of this competition would have been lost when the Ayrshire and Central leagues merged and playing teams from outwith the traditional regions became less of a novelty.

I've certainly never been that excited about it until at least the semi-final stage, which is the way the Scottish cup is going now that the bigger East teams are away and the end of the juniors looks like it's approaching.

I would have rather kept the Ayrshire cup to be honest.

Personally think it was the Ayrshire Cup and local cups that were a busted flush since the Super Leagues  started.

Strong argument to say now its harder to win the West than the Scottish..............