Peterhead vs Falkirk

Fair enough. Well fingers crossed Telfer is a confidence player and will hit a run if form at some point under M&M if we continue our unbeaten run.

It doesn’t make the highlights but in the second half yesterday Connolly played Telfer through 1 on 1 with the ‘keeper and you could actually see him slow down to avoid any sort of contact with the ‘keeper when really should’ve been burying the chance.

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Didn’t know clear and obvious goal scoring opportunities extended to hypothetical situations. Penalty yes, yellow at worst 

It's always hypothetical when the player gets fouled before he can make contact with the ball no? I'm not even sure if the referee NEEDS to believe Connolly can get his head to the ball, but regardless of that, how much clearer a goalscoring opportunity do you want than a header about 3 yards from the goal with no defender in a position to make an aerial challenge against you? It's a stonewaller and an act of stupidity from the defender. 

1 minute ago, Russ said:

It doesn’t make the highlights but in the second half yesterday Connolly played Telfer through 1 on 1 with the ‘keeper and you could actually see him slow down to avoid any sort of contact with the ‘keeper when really should’ve been burying the chance.

Yeah that's his thing. Taking just a wee bit off the gas. 

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's always hypothetical when the player gets fouled before he can make contact with the ball no? I'm not even sure if the referee NEEDS to believe Connolly can get his head to the ball, but regardless of that, how much clearer a goalscoring opportunity do you want than a header about 3 yards from the goal with no defender in a position to make an aerial challenge against you? It's a stonewaller and an act of stupidity from the defender. 

Yeah that's his thing. Taking just a wee bit off the gas. 

That’s true, it always is hypothetical. So the ref has to make a judgement call on whether it was a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity? For me a ball going 5 feet over a midget’s head should be deemed not a clear goal scoring opportunity

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

That’s true, it always is hypothetical. So the ref has to make a judgement call on whether it was a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity? For me a ball going 5 feet over a midget’s head should be deemed not a clear goal scoring opportunity

Like I said, I am unsure whether the ref needs to be convinced that he could have met the ball. @craigkillie maybe could help us here. 

If the ref doesnt think Connolly could have reached the ball, he still has to make a judgement on the fact that a foul was committed in the box with no intention of playing the ball, by the last defender. 

I think it's a blatant red but would be interested to hear what Craig says. 

43 minutes ago, Rocco said:
2 hours ago, bairn88 said:
Unless Aidan Connolly has a 5 foot long extendable neck that he can deploy with ease that is an extremely harsh red 

It's a red all day long. If you take a player down in the box when he is trying to get on the end of a cross then there is no excuse

Agreed. The guy just hauls him down, there was zero attempt to play the ball and was a clear goal scoring opportunity.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Could not see the incident from where I was standing but going by the highlights a red seemed harsh, a comeback was unlikely anyway as Falkirk were the better team but going down to ten men killed the game off.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Like I said, I am unsure whether the ref needs to be convinced that he could have met the ball. @craigkillie maybe could help us here. 

If the ref doesnt think Connolly could have reached the ball, he still has to make a judgement on the fact that a foul was committed in the box with no intention of playing the ball, by the last defender. 

I think it's a blatant red but would be interested to hear what Craig says. 

Just watching it back now. It's clearly a foul and a penalty to start with. The referee then has to judge two things when deciding if it's a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity: a) is the defender attempting to play the ball and b) if the foul isn't committed then does the attacker have a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The answer to a) is obviously no - it's a blatant push in the back. The answer to b) is, in my opinion, yes - the ball is maybe a foot or so above the forward, but if he hasn't been impeded then I'd say he has a decent chance of being able to get on the end of it, and since he's 6 yards out right in front of goal he's obviously got a great chance to score if he does get there.

In terms of your second point - if the ref genuinely thought that Connolly couldn't get on the end of the ball, then it can't be a red card regardless of whether the foul is deliberate. However, I reckon there was a chance if he had the opportunity to leap unimpeded by the defender.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Just watching it back now. It's clearly a foul and a penalty to start with. The referee then has to judge two things when deciding if it's a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity: a) is the defender attempting to play the ball and b) if the foul isn't committed then does the attacker have a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The answer to a) is obviously no - it's a blatant push in the back. The answer to b) is, in my opinion, yes - the ball is maybe a foot or so above the forward, but if he hasn't been impeded then I'd say he has a decent chance of being able to get on the end of it, and since he's 6 yards out right in front of goal he's obviously got a great chance to score if he does get there.

In terms of your second point - if the ref genuinely thought that Connolly couldn't get on the end of the ball, then it can't be a red card regardless of whether the foul is deliberate. However, I reckon there was a chance if he had the opportunity to leap unimpeded by the defender.

Much obliged. 

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Fair enough, looks good to me. Non HD camera work definitely doesn’t help the ability to tell whether the ball was reachable or not. 

Can you ref our next game? 

10 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Not sure about that?

It's your choice. Or is it you're choice?

Yours, 

Confused.

You should offer to help them out! :) 

What caught my eye were the numerous mistakes in the Falkirk article.

Here is a wee example: "they had spent only six season's out with the top division..."

The apostrophe should not be there and, since we are proud of our Scottish heritage, 'out with' should be written as one word.

There are also a few errors that a spellchecker wouldn't have picked up, such as 'by hen they were well...' and 'they were denied promotion when the won...'.

The common mistake of using '1990's' instead of '1990s' appears a few times too. 

I know it shouldn't annoy me as much as it does, but there is the possibility that the author might appreciate these things being pointed out. Equally, the author might think I am a total dick, which is not outwith the realms of possibility. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Ooooft. Thought he was wasted on the wing against us

TBH he's been poor all season, regardless of where on the pitch he has played.

It's an odd situation, but I would reckon another club will have offered him a few bob.

It's his last chance at a biggish signing on fee.