Dons v Sons, SC4R

resk

Probably was a penalty...I always tend to look at the player who potentially committed the foul...Quitongo's reaction tells me there was contact

That said, Cosgrove had been chucking himself to the ground the whole game looking for fouls

Really enjoyed the day out at Aberdeen, and a big well done to the stewards...what a great bunch...loads of banter, and exactly the right way to approach supporters...with a smile

We gave a good account of ourselves but no matter how the loss came about, no great surprise.

We have a terribly thin squad but they gave everything and we defended resolutely which is positive.

Onto the important stuff of the league now, hopefully we take a bit of confidence in holding Aberdeen for so long, best of luck to the Dons in the next round.

10 minutes ago, Romeo said:

It would seem Aberdeen fans either can't go for longer than 90 minutes without an alcoholic drink or are desperate to pay £5 for a pint of warm Carling.

This is the textbook idiot's argument. Why do they serve pies at games - surely people can go more than 90 minutes without eating?

The expected response from most after we hadn't blown them out of the water. How anyone can blame the manager when we've missed four gilt edged headers before you even discuss the shots we've missed is beyond me.

Dumbarton defended superbly. We had severalcrosses that just missed their target. Then Dumbarton players would take the ball off a strikers toe before he shot or managed to get the block in. Then we'd get passed the defender but put the chances past the post. When we finally hit the target the keeper pulled off a couple of very decent saves.

Felt sorry for some of the Dumbarton lads. Defended very well but seemed to panic the moment they crossed the half way line. Number 2 being the main culprit. Quitongo was brilliant, daft tackle at the penalty aside.

The Red Shed was brilliant. Happy to be moved from the Merkland next season if they can implement similar every week. Will definitely need to be sat in a family section though because the three lads in front of me were total gluepots and had not a single clue about football between the three of them.

The only real criticism I had was we were quite slow to get up the park until the last fifteen or so minutes. McGeouch looks superb. A couple of his through balls from deep caused havoc. As said above Ojo and McGeouch looks the making of a great partnership. 

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The expected response from most after we hadn't blown them out of the water. How anyone can blame the manager when we've missed four gilt edged headers before you even discuss the shots we've missed is beyond me.

Dumbarton defended superbly. We had severalcrosses that just missed their target. Then Dumbarton players would take the ball off a strikers toe before he shot or managed to get the block in. Then we'd get passed the defender but put the chances past the post. When we finally hit the target the keeper pulled off a couple of very decent saves.

Felt sorry for some of the Dumbarton lads. Defended very well but seemed to panic the moment they crossed the half way line. Number 2 being the main culprit. Quitongo was brilliant, daft tackle at the penalty aside.

The Red Shed was brilliant. Happy to be moved from the Merkland next season if they can implement similar every week. Will definitely need to be sat in a family section though because the three lads in front of me were total gluepots and had not a single clue about football between the three of them.

The only real criticism I had was we were quite slow to get up the park until the last fifteen or so minutes. McGeouch looks superb. A couple of his through balls from deep caused havoc. As said above Ojo and McGeouch looks the making of a great partnership. 

Totally agree with all of this.

I actually counted at least 6 relatively clear headers from corners that I think only Taylor put one on target. If we convert one or two of those its a very comfortable game.

The problems from open play are nothing new. Our wingers lack pace and only Mcginn has a reasonably reliable level of  quality. The threat from full back is minimal if it's Logan and Considine (again, not much pace) and creativity from midfield is lacking. Put that up against a well drilled team with no ambition to commit bodies forward and we're going to find it hard. That isn't a dig at Dumbarton, they set up well and played well.

Mcinnes clearly knows the issues with kennedy coming in (maybe now, maybe summer) and he said post match he wants more attacking threat in this month.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I actually counted at least 6 relatively clear headers from corners that I think only Taylor put one on target. If we convert one or two of those its a very comfortable game.

The problems from open play are nothing new. Our wingers lack pace and only Mcginn has a reasonably reliable level of  quality. The threat from full back is minimal if it's Logan and Considine (again, not much pace) and creativity from midfield is lacking. Put that up against a well drilled team with no ambition to commit bodies forward and we're going to find it hard. That isn't a dig at Dumbarton, they set up well and played well.

Mcinnes clearly knows the issues with kennedy coming in (maybe now, maybe summer) and he said post match he wants more attacking threat in this month.

It was quite sad to watch Shay on Saturday. He sued to bomb forward at every opportunity with the knowledge he could get back in to position. Now the pace has gone it looks like any confidence he had has disappeared too. Too quick to play the ball down the line when he used to play a lot of one-two's.

McLennan is going to be a very good player but he hasn't worked out when to play the quick cross and when to beat the man. Very frustrating to watch at the moment but he needs to get a consistent run of games.

Can't see Anderson getting another chance for a while, despite getting himself in to several great positions. Ferguson back in and behind Sam on Wednesday.

From McInnes' post match comments, Kennedy will be in soon IMO.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It was quite sad to watch Shay on Saturday. He sued to bomb forward at every opportunity with the knowledge he could get back in to position. Now the pace has gone it looks like any confidence he had has disappeared too. Too quick to play the ball down the line when he used to play a lot of one-two's.

McLennan is going to be a very good player but he hasn't worked out when to play the quick cross and when to beat the man. Very frustrating to watch at the moment but he needs to get a consistent run of games.

Can't see Anderson getting another chance for a while, despite getting himself in to several great positions. Ferguson back in and behind Sam on Wednesday.

From McInnes' post match comments, Kennedy will be in soon IMO.

Yeah Shay just isn't at that level. There was a moment in the first half that I think Mcgeough fizzed a pass out to him on the right. Great pass but it had so much pace on it Shay looked unable to control it, just struck me as a level below. It is sad as I love the guy.

Mclennan has lost the directness he had when he came in last season. Seems to have lost the confidence to just beat his man and whip a ball in. Maybe a run of games will help as you say.

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah Shay just isn't at that level. There was a moment in the first half that I think Mcgeough fizzed a pass out to him on the right. Great pass but it had so much pace on it Shay looked unable to control it, just struck me as a level below. It is sad as I love the guy.

Mclennan has lost the directness he had when he came in last season. Seems to have lost the confidence to just beat his man and whip a ball in. Maybe a run of games will help as you say.

Will be interesting to see what Kennedy brings to the table. May give McLennan a kick up the arse.

Forgot to touch on your McGinn comment earlier. Such a shame his legs are going as he is class. 

I was at a game 500 miles south on Saturday that was similarly won 1-0 with a late goal by the team wearing red.

Hitting refresh on Livescore App and seeing Kilmarnock, Hamilton Accies and even the yams raining in goals, whilst our game stuck firmly at 0-0 was a tad concerning.

But as stated early in the thread - this was the scoreline on my only other two AFC vs Dumbarton matches attended in 1985 and 2014, so should have stuck some money on that outcome.

Strange that we have been so lethargic now in the past two seasons at this stage, after blowing away Jack Ross' runaway Championship leading St Mirren the season before that.  Do the players approach these ties as if they're still lazing around in Dubai - or is it just that any kind of decent defensive organisation leaves this current McInnes team huffing and puffing and running into brickwalls, with nobody showing any guile to make something happen?

Edited by tarapoa

4 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I was at a game 500 miles south on Saturday that was similarly won 1-0 with a late goal by the team wearing red.

Hitting refresh on Livescore App and seeing Kilmarnock, Hamilton Accies and even the yams raining in goals, whilst our game stuck firmly at 0-0 was a tad concerning.

But as stated early in the thread - this was the scoreline on my only other two AFC vs Dumbarton matches attended in 1985 and 2014, so should have stuck some money on that outcome.

Strange that we have been so lethargic now in the past two seasons at this stage, after blowing away Jack Ross' runaway Championship leading St Mirren the season before that.  Do the players approach these ties as if they're still lazing around in Dubai - or is it just that any kind of decent defensive organisation leaves this current McInnes team huffing and puffing and running into brickwalls, with nobody showing any guile to make something happen?

We literally missed around 6 gilt edged chances. Anderson missing three of them.

21 hours ago, Romeo said:
21 hours ago, craigkillie said:
This is the textbook idiot's argument. Why do they serve pies at games - surely people can go more than 90 minutes without eating?

Never seen anybody getting thrown out of a pub or a club for eating too many pies.

I have.  Oscars nightclub circa 1992.  Our Sunday league team was sponsored by Oscars and big Grant from Kelso literally ate all the pies they laid on and got chucked out of the club. 

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Both fair summaries I'd say. On the bits in bold, our number 2 is Lewis Crawford who has only really played Junior level before this season, probably has about 180 minutes of actual senior football to his name (has been on loan at Petershill for the last 3 months and was only recalled due to injuries). I thought he done well all things considered and was probably a bit cautious in bombing forward for fear of leaving us exposed. The second part in bold, we were always going to struggle but the fact we had no fit striker available virtually meant we were going to offer nothing. Not suggesting we'd have scored or anything, but having Isaac Layne up front would've helped us immensely in getting up the park. 

Best of luck to the Dons for the season, another warm welcome extended to us on Saturday, a good bunch of c***s.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Both fair summaries I'd say. On the bits in bold, our number 2 is Lewis Crawford who has only really played Junior level before this season, probably has about 180 minutes of actual senior football to his name (has been on loan at Petershill for the last 3 months and was only recalled due to injuries). I thought he done well all things considered and was probably a bit cautious in bombing forward for fear of leaving us exposed. The second part in bold, we were always going to struggle but the fact we had no fit striker available virtually meant we were going to offer nothing. Not suggesting we'd have scored or anything, but having Isaac Layne up front would've helped us immensely in getting up the park. 

Best of luck to the Dons for the season, another warm welcome extended to us on Saturday, a good bunch of c***s.

I'd imagine it's the largest crowd  Crawford had played in front of? By the end of the second half we seemed to put all our focus in to attacking his flank. He didn't embarrass himself by any means but I remember him slicing a couple of attempted passes out of play under minimal pressure.

Ojo who plays in our midfield said he was very surprised to find out you were a League One team. He had thought you were Championship due to how well you had played.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.