Dons v Sons, SC4R

resk

In all seriousness we defended very well and restricted Aberdeen to mostly half chances from set pieces. It's a bit of a gutter we couldn't take them to a replay but shit happens.

My only criticism would be that we only managed to win our first corner in injury time. Given the amount the of success we've had via Joe McKee's boot x Ryan McGeever's heid I feel we should've just been trying to boot the ball off of them in the final third any chance we got.

All in all a superb effort from a seriously depleted Sons team against a fairly lacklustre looking Dons outfit.

Our possession and pass success stats(in our own half) must be keeping the Guinness world record team on their toes. It’s brutal how safe and predictable we are.

Dumbarton offered nothing in an attacking sense - just 2 banks of 5 working hard. But they will be understandably gutted that they didn’t earn a replay.

11 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Which of the happy clappers will tell us, straight faced,  that all that matters in the cup is winning?

Would not go that far but one thing this result does do (over a 3-0 or 4-0 victory) is really highlight how much this malaise has set in - turgid football with not enough creativity - and raise bigger alarm bells than before. With the greatest of respect to Dumbarton, if we can't be putting away a team sitting in the middle of League One how are we supposed to do so against Premiership teams we are supposedly better than? A real threat of not qualifying for Europe at this rate, and *should* be a strong signal that what we've been doing for the past weeks and months is not working. The problem is if such a warning will be listened to. A great initiative by the club regarding the Merkland today and it's been repaid by the same shite.

Robbed.
We defended so well and deserved the replay.
Would it have been a penalty if it happened up the other end? I very much doubt it.
Every man worked themselves into the ground today.
Thought Rico had a brilliant game, gutted for him conceding the penalty as personally I don’t feel there was enough contact for Cosgrove to go down, mind you he did spend the majority of the game on his arse.
If I were an Aberdeen fan would be very concerned if we needed a penalty to beat a mid table league 1 team ravaged by injury at home.
Good to see PJ back in the side from injury, worked his socks off up top himself.
Overall a good day out though, just a shame we had to lose it so late, that’s fitba’ but.
Some new signings soon plz mr Duffy.

In the end its about the gate money for us.A replay would have seen us beat for sure without necessarily bringing in lots of cash.It would be an extra game that we didnt need even if for the pride stakes it wouldve been good.For us its about signings now and looking to mount a challenge for a play off spot.With the right bodies in we can get 4th.

Its a sickener losing so late on but we are Dumbarton.It is our destiny........

Guest Bob Mahelp

I thought we were better today than we were against Stenhousemuir at this point last season. 

McGinn was decent, McGeough looked tidy. Cosgrove spent most of the game 30 yards out with his back to goal. Anderson needs sent out on loan, McLennan was pish. 

Our crossing was utter dogshite. 

That's aboot it. 

Aberdeen, and in particular Taylor's tactic of putting high balls in when that's the one area where we have strength was at best puzzeling. 2 giant CHs will relish that all day long. 

On train home now and while it's hard to be disappointed given such a threadbare squad, it's a classic case of what could have been. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, PWL said:

Aberdeen, and in particular Taylor's tactic of putting high balls in when that's the one area where we have strength was at best puzzeling. 2 giant CHs will relish that all day long. 

On train home now and while it's hard to be disappointed given such a threadbare squad, it's a classic case of what could have been. 

Let's be honest here, Dumbarton offered absolutely nothing aside from a 10 man defence.  You played with 2 lines of 5 in front of the keeper. 

Aberdeen were rusty and lacking sharpness and invention, but Dumbarton deserved absolutely zilch from the game. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Aberdeen were rusty and lacking sharpness and invention, but Dumbarton deserved absolutely zilch from the game. 

On footballing terms I don't disagree but given the state of our club at moment, a draw would have been a brilliant result for us.