Dons v Sons, SC4R

resk

On 05/01/2020 at 15:19, tarapoa said:

Dumbarton’s white strip with the black and gold flash is the classiest kit anywhere.

^^^kens the score.

On 13/01/2020 at 06:43, Dons_1988 said:

Lower league teams in the cup still give me the absolute fear.

I really wouldn't fear much tbh. Our only striker Isaac Layne has been out for weeks and probably won't make it, our wingers PJ Crossan and Adam Frizzell are both out injured and the only right back we've got is a young guy who isn't really near League 1 level, never mind Premiership. We also have a manager who seems like he can't be arsed trying to remedy that situation by getting players in. I reckon we'll have a decent number of fans there, but I reckon every one of them is expecting 4 or 5 nil.

1 hour ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Any Sons fans on here know how many have been sold? 660 ish came up when we last met.

Last time we were going really well in the championship under Sir Ian Murray, and football seemed a wonderful thing.

This time, not so much, so if we get half that, I'll be amazed.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

^^^kens the score.

I really wouldn't fear much tbh. Our only striker Isaac Layne has been out for weeks and probably won't make it, our wingers PJ Crossan and Adam Frizzell are both out injured and the only right back we've got is a young guy who isn't really near League 1 level, never mind Premiership. We also have a manager who seems like he can't be arsed trying to remedy that situation by getting players in. I reckon we'll have a decent number of fans there, but I reckon every one of them is expecting 4 or 5 nil.

Evidence?

5 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Evidence?

Let's start in the summer shall we - Duffy bumped his gums about getting a good budget which would let him challenge for the promotion play-offs. The board put together a budget after a few weeks and Duffy agreed to stay - all good at this point. Duffy then went about offering absolute peanuts to our existing squad, causing all but 3 of them to leave, and 2 of those who stayed required an external source to supplement the wage Duffy offered them. On being left with no squad and only two weeks until our opening competitive fixture, Duffy then went to the exit trials and signed half a team. He signed his pal Stef McCluskey from Pollock and Jordan McMillan, two lazy signings IMO. I admit he's done well to turn that mess into the coherent team we've got now, but the whole summer just reeked of doing the bare minimum to get a team and then worrying about how it comes together later. It took the likes of Joe McKee signing late and Reghan Tumilty coming in at right back before we started to look like a team capable of anything. We have 1 striker capable of leading the line at our level, and one young lad who can't play up front on his own (and is probably a League 2 level player). For a team that has exclusively played with 1 striker, that seems an oversight (or again, laziness).

Less than half way through the season he sends 3 players out on loan, one to help a Junior team struggling with injuries for some unknown reason, right at a time when we were looking a bit short ourselves. Last 3 weeks we've had two players maximum on the bench, one being  sub keeper who can't get a look in and the other being a half fit Stef McCluskey - no trialists used despite having the option of playing 3 of them (an option he feels he should have in the League Cup!). A week before the January window opens he's asked a fairly straightforward question about bringing players in to augment our threadbare squad and he hits out with "we're no Manchester City, we can't just go and buy players" - it just shows complete contempt for the journalist asking the question and the fans who are obviously looking at our squad and worrying a bit. 

We've had a couple of opportunities this season to properly impose ourselves in the promotion play-off race, most notably against Stranraer a few weeks ago, but I never ever get the impression that outcome is one that Duffy is chasing - he's just so laid back and I've never actually seen him angry or overly pleased with things - we took a late lead against Stranraer and lost the equaliser immediately, yet Duffy just came out and said a draw was probably fair. He never talks up our chances, always errs on the side of caution, or in the case of the Manchester City comment he looks to completely obliterate any enthusiasm anyone might have. I honestly think he's been in the game too long, he can just go through the motions and even though it looks like it'll be enough to keep us in the division, I think we could have achieved better results to date, and I think come the end of the season we'll ask if we could have achieved more.

Going to be a last minute decision whether or not I can travel up for this one.  I take it Aberdeen will have a wee portakabin to sell tickets to away fans on the day? Or, dare I say it, even a cash gate?

Like most of the rest of us, I expect this to be a bit of a doing with Aberdeen likely not getting out of second gear.

It’ll be a good day out though, and a good occasion.

I’m hoping for one or two positives to take from the game, for it not to be an absolute hammering and as many folk through the gates as possible which means £££ and then hopefully squad reinforcements before the month’s end.

37 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Had a question from an Aberdeen based ex-Son,  wondering if there are any Sons fans heading to the pub pre-match on Saturday?  If so, which one?

The supporters bus leaves at 10am and isn't planning a stop, so I'd expect we'll get there about 1pm and make a beeline for the pub closest to the ground (assuming the bus will drop us there). I think the last cup tie we were in the Archibald Simpson, but I think that's probably a bit further away than we'll have time for. If any kind Aberdeen fan wants to nominate a decent boozer within 5-10 minutes of the ground that'd be great.

A quick google search suggests The Pittodrie Bar, The Bobbin and the Red Lion are all between 10-15 mins walk from the stadium. Which is recommended and are there any I’ve missed closer to the ground?

A quick google search suggests The Pittodrie Bar, The Bobbin and the Red Lion are all between 10-15 mins walk from the stadium. Which is recommended and are there any I’ve missed closer to the ground?

Scotia and Saltoun Arms are handy for the away end but a bit further away than the Pittodrie Bar. I recommend the Scotia and the Pitt. I'd imagine all Dumbarton fans will be welcome in all boozers on Saturday, especially as it won't be a big home crowd.

The golf club's the closest place for a drink but I'd say The Scotia/Saltoun are best for away fans. 

On this day in 1931 we beat Dumbarton 6-1 in the Scottish cup. More of the same please. (I have a nagging feeling that it will be a shitty 1-0  struggle though. As always I hope I'm wrong.)

58 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The golf club's the closest place for a drink but I'd say The Scotia/Saltoun are best for away fans. 

On this day in 1931 we beat Dumbarton 6-1 in the Scottish cup. More of the same please. (I have a nagging feeling that it will be a shitty 1-0  struggle though. As always I hope I'm wrong.)

Depends how stringent they are on the day. Might be members only.

Ticket sales are better than I thought. Merkland close to a sellout but South could be pretty bare. Gives them a decision to make for next season.

Depends how stringent they are on the day. Might be members only.
Ticket sales are better than I thought. Merkland close to a sellout but South could be pretty bare. Gives them a decision to make for next season.

It has crossed my cynical mind that this merkland experiment might be a way to shift people out the south and thus increase away allocations for certain games in the future...