Thistle Vs Dundee United

Thought we really struggled to get to grips with the formation for the first half hour or so but it seemed to just click at some point and from then on our shape was great and the game was only ever going one way.
I think Neilson deserved at least some criticism for our performances during a spell at the start of the season, but today really convinced me that we have a very good manager on our hands. Really wasn’t easy to put a balanced team out with only one fit central midfielder but the system worked perfectly once we got going.
Powers and Banks probably the stand outs along with Shankland obviously who was just unplayable. Good to see Pawlett back too, he blows hot & cold but still has a lot to offer.
Banks wasnt playing

With the winter break on, took my son to this game to get out the house. 

As everyone has said Thistle were by far the better team until losing a stupid goal from a corner. From then on it looked liked it could have been as many as United wanted it to be. The confidence seemed to disappear totally from Thistle and the United players were suddenly able to control the ball and pass to each other

O’Ware looked dreadful and kept on defending deep and playing United onside. Miller should have scored a couple but never looked convincing anytime he went to shoot. 

Big January for McCall and United need to hope that they can keep Shankland, he looked a totally different play from when he played for Saints. 

27 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
48 minutes ago, chazas_ said:
Thought we really struggled to get to grips with the formation for the first half hour or so but it seemed to just click at some point and from then on our shape was great and the game was only ever going one way.
I think Neilson deserved at least some criticism for our performances during a spell at the start of the season, but today really convinced me that we have a very good manager on our hands. Really wasn’t easy to put a balanced team out with only one fit central midfielder but the system worked perfectly once we got going.
Powers and Banks probably the stand outs along with Shankland obviously who was just unplayable. Good to see Pawlett back too, he blows hot & cold but still has a lot to offer.

Banks wasnt playing

Glass even. Whoever 21 was. First time I’d seen him tbh, looks a player.

It was similar to the home game against Dundee. Played well for 30 minutes without taking our chances, lose a soft goal and then completely fall out the game. 

Difference being this time United have far better players and one great player who took us a part. 

As good as Shankland is our defending is laughable. O’Ware and Saunders are hopeless, I’d be happy if they both got punted at the end of the year. Our midfield is way too soft, United just ran through the middle time after time. 

Fox was poor as well for a couple of the goals, no excuse for not coming for a cross a yard from his line.

Outwith Shankland I was impressed with Glass, Smith and Appere for United.

Funny to see Powers get a lot of praise, I thought he looked slow and ponderous when the game was tight at 0-0. Easy to look good when coasting at 4-0 and you’ve got the freedom of Firhill. Not sure he’ll be the level United require for the premier. It was his debut though, perhaps being a bit harsh. 

Miller can go anytime, a legacy from Caldwell that sums up the state he left us in.

McCall has a big job on his hands, some big games coming up.

11 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

O’Ware and Saunders are hopeless, I’d be happy if they both got punted at the end of the year.

If what I heard yesterday is true, you maybe better stay off this site next week!!

Edited by Sting777

10 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

If what I heard yesterday is true, you maybe better stay off this site next week!!

New deal for O'Ware? I now McCall rates him and Archie signed him so it wouldn't surprise me. Not sure I can handle them both getting new deals mind you!

28 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

Our midfield is way too soft, United just ran through the middle time after time. 

When I was watching the game, I felt like Stuart Bannigan was doing the defensive work for the entire midfield. He was the running around the most breaking up play, making the passes etc. Your number 12 did f**k all, he was best not showing up. If I remember correctly Reece Cole is pretty well liked by your support so maybe that was just a bad game though.

39 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

When I was watching the game, I felt like Stuart Bannigan was doing the defensive work for the entire midfield. He was the running around the most breaking up play, making the passes etc. Your number 12 did f**k all, he was best not showing up. If I remember correctly Reece Cole is pretty well liked by your support so maybe that was just a bad game though.

He is better than what he showed yesterday. Probably his worst game in a Jags jersey!

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Both Saunders and oware?

i actually thought after an initial poor run of games both had improved in the last month quite a bit.

they were unfortunately both appalling yesterday 

7 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Both Saunders and oware?

i actually thought after an initial poor run of games both had improved in the last month quite a bit.

they were unfortunately both appalling yesterday 

The name that was mentioned was O’Ware. Saunders wasn’t mentioned. McCall trying to get the players he wants to keep on longer contracts. Saunders has been good over the last month but I can’t see him or McGinty being at the club next season

Edited by Sting777

2 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

The name that was mentioned was O’Ware. Saunders wasn’t mentioned. Might be rubbish.  Saunders has been good over the last month but I can’t see him or McGinty being at the club next season

Agree completely- if some of the defenders we have been linked with such as Brownlie and McCart do come in then those 2 will definitely be on their way

I loved the marking on Shankland for his third or fourth goal where he ran from the half way line with no Thistle player anywhere near him. Pointed this out to my mate, next thing BANG 3 or more probably 4-0.