Thistle Vs Dundee United

4 hours ago, Jagsman411971 said:

Game is ON.

Firstly - Fair fucks to the ground staff and the pitch today, Jags fans had well founded faith in their surface - Great to see the game played, despite the horrendous weather beforehand.

Quick summary from an Arab’s perspective....

Glass was class!

Powers put in a superb 90 minutes today imo, given his lack of game time. Moved really well for such a big unit.

Thistle played well for the first half hour and Siegriest kept us in it, but when the goal came, there was only going to be one outcome.

We are really demonstrating the value of depth of squad. We won easily today without a number of first team standouts such as Robson, Harkes,  Stanton, and Mcmullan.

Really hope Clark is not too badly injured. Looked a nasty one.

Harkins is still fat. Him missing the half tome penalty against the Ice Hockey keeper was fucking quality.

Finally.

Shankland.... Just Shankland.❤️

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Listening to this, sounds like Glass is doing well again.

Glass was superb today.

Great touch, vision and always seems to find plenty of space in midfield.

Needs to move and make decisions a fraction quicker at this level,* but is going to be a real star of the future if he avoids the Allan/Banks route.

* I am fucking nitpicking here tbf

3 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Glass was superb today.

Needs to move and make decisions a fraction quicker at this level,* but is going to be a real star of the future if he avoids the Allan/Banks route.

Fortunately he’s already extended his contract so should be here for wee while yet.

Given the conditions I'd go as far as saying we were pretty good until conceding. Kenny Miller is shite though. That sitter he missed was inexcusable and before that why did he try some first time volley from a stupid angle in the box instead of bringing it down? Zanata also needs called out for that piss poor shot when he got himself into an excellent position. Our defending second half was pathetic and Shankland is rather decent.

11 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Glass was superb today.

Was Glass No 21? If so he looks a real prospect. Thought we were the better side in the first 35 and it might have been different if Miller and Zanatta had buried those chances. Last 55 minutes were as bad as I can remember this season. The way the heads went down after the first must be worrying to McCall. Hopefully the signings of Rudden, Graham and McKinnon next week will start jettisoning us up the table as there isn’t much between any of the sides in this league taking Und out of the mix!

Edited by Sting777

6 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Was Glass No 21? If so he looks a real prospect. Thought we were the better side in the first 35 and it might have been different if Miller and Zanatta had buried those chances. Last 55 minutes were as bad as I can remember this season. The way the heads went down after the first must be worrying to McCall. Hopefully the signings of Rudden, Graham and McKinnon next week will start jettisoning us up the table as there isn’t much between any of the sides in this league taking Und out of the mix!

Yeah, Glass was no 21.

20 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Really hope Clark is not too badly injured. Looked a nasty one.

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Whats up with Nicky Clark he has def been on very good form for United lately, will be missed.. 

Challenge that didn't need to be made, and should have been at least a booking. Maybe Collum let him off because of the conditions, or maybe because he was injured.

It may be a broken leg.

Unfortunately, you are becoming a bore. Like a broken record. You're better than this m8, let it go....let it go...
You havnt repeated yourself about shankland and Mcall ?

You can admit when you were wrong about Neilson because we know as soon as it starts to somehow go wrong for Neilson you will be ready to pounce.

However you are right I am bether than this, however I do give credit to someone, anyone when it's due.

Glass was superb today.

Declan Glass certainly impressed the QOS supporters last week as well. The lad needs to be playing regular and it will be good to see how he fairs next season against the better quality teams in the Scottish Premiership.

Thought Thistle were the better team until Miller inexcusably missed that sitter. After the first goal, the heads clearly went down. Going in at half time 1-0 down might have made a difference, but the second goal absolutely killed off any hope.

Dundee United didn’t even need to get out of first gear. From the 35th minute onwards, that was about as easy as they’ll have it this season. The defending for Shankland’s second, in particular was horrific.

Stating the obvious, but there is some amount of utter shite in our team. Williamson, Saunders, O’Ware, Zanatta, Robson, Cardle, McGinty, Miller etc have been fucking atrocious. Bringing in the likes of Rudden and Mackinnon and potentially Graham will help, but we really need at least one decent CB and RB, and those should be necessities by the end of the month.

Thought the game was very evenly matched until the goal, with Thistle perhaps slightly edging it, we scored just as we were beginning to impose ourselves on the game and could count ourselves fortunate to be 2 ahead at the break.

We were excellent in the second half though, barring a very annoying goal where Reynolds and Seigrist didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory(particularly annoying in the case of seigrist because he had been very good until then and made a crucial save in the first half).

Shankland is obviously sensational and no poor performances but 3 others need a special mention.

Paul Watson was immense, so composed and solid and to come back from essentially being written off by a number of fans (myself included) to where he is now is a real credit to him.

Declan Glass I thought was a bit nervy early on but grew more and more into the game and was running the show at times today, such a low centre of gravity and wonderful confidence as well as ability. Looks like he will easily be making the step up. He could be a real player.

Dillon Powers outside of Shankland was my Motm though, a phenomenally encouraging debut. Always looked comfortable on the ball, constantly seemed to pick the (often forward) right pass and put himself about very well. Looked like he had been in the team for months. Having been nervous before January about our central midfield options, we look to have brought in two guys who at the very least will provide strong cover and competition.

From thistles point of view I thought they competed well in the first half, but suffered from a real lack of quality at times as well as terrible defending at crucial moments. I know conditions were poor but the number of times thistle players failed to control balls under no pressure or make simple passes was pretty startling.

Shame about the weather as a cracking away support could have been even better, but great away day all round nonetheless.

Thought we were playing well in the first half, and really should have been in the lead before United eventually made the breakthrough - Miller’s miss at the back post in particular was disgraceful.

It took United a while to get going, but once they scored it was one way traffic. Almost like they realised how poor our defence actually is and that they could exploit it at will if they attacked a bit more. Shankland is far too good for this level, and thankfully we won’t have to deal with him much longer; he really has kicked f**k out of us these past two seasons.

Might be a while before we see a 1500 away support in a league game at Firhill again, so fair play, especially given the weather. 2600 for us was surprisingly high as well.

Roll on next week and all these apparently imminent signings.

Went to the game as a neutral, well had an Ayr / Shankland top on under layers! As has been said until the opening goal Partick were causing Utd real problems then 2 goals before half time and the games as good as over.

For a player who was in League 2 a few weeks ago, Glass was the real star of the show for me. Clever and comfortable in possession he has a real knack of finding space in front of opposition defenders and an excellent ability of going past the opposition. 

A star in the making for me. 

I know Shankland's headlines will revolve around his 3 goals but he's added an excellent touch and links up really well with his teammates, arguably to an even higher level to what we saw at Ayr. Some of his flicks in the final 3rd in the 1st half were excellent and his pass out to the left on the build up to one of his goals hopefully doesn't get missed in the highlights. 

Any chance we can add a retrospective 25% sell on fee to his contract, please? I continue to be amazed a Hearts or Hibs didn't take a chance on him when he left us. Jon Daly on Radio Scotland tonight stated he'd been mentioned "once or twice" in his time at Tynecastle and indicated that Lawrence got lost in the volume of players recommended to the club. 

Thistles best play in the first half came from Jones up top and Miller busy in behind him. Second half was a non event and when you're looking to get the next goal in the game, I fail to see what bringing Robson on was supposed to achieve. McGinty looked dreadful as well when he came on. 

Miller is clearly not a lone striker any more but you could see McCall trying to get him playing as a number 10 and bringing others into play, like he did with Moffat for us. At his age he really needs to manage his energy to last the whole game. He was playing like it was his debut and he was in his late teens. 

On the first 35 minutes Thistle should be fine to stay up but the difference in performances after Utd scored show the Jekyll and Hyde side to the team. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Thought we really struggled to get to grips with the formation for the first half hour or so but it seemed to just click at some point and from then on our shape was great and the game was only ever going one way.

I think Neilson deserved at least some criticism for our performances during a spell at the start of the season, but today really convinced me that we have a very good manager on our hands. Really wasn’t easy to put a balanced team out with only one fit central midfielder but the system worked perfectly once we got going.

Powers and Banks probably the stand outs along with Shankland obviously who was just unplayable. Good to see Pawlett back too, he blows hot & cold but still has a lot to offer.